XParkour 2.2 (Xaser's old mod but it's new)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
UnbornDecay25

Re: XParkour 2.0 (Xaser's old mod but it's new)

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

TDRR wrote:
UnbornDecay25 wrote:Gotta say I enjoyed this, and my main issues come from the modeling. <The Rifle and the Automatic shotgun in particular> But I have to wonder if the Rifle is even necessary due to the Uzis, Pistols, and the Chaingun all use the same ammo, making the Rifle a bit reduntant. Another thing I found was that the grenades dont hurt you. If it was a different item I wouldnt have an issue, but it seems weird to have an 'everything in that general direction must die' with out explosions. Otherwise, I think all the new additions sound good, and the Uzis are particularly fun to use. Great job
Grenades don't do any damage? That's weird, i even have killed myself a few times with them (unless you mean the chaingun grenades, in which case i don't know)

Yeah i wanted to make the Auto Shotgun and the Rifle more unique than what they are, but making new weapons without any new sprites really is quite hard. The Rifle will be given something unique to stand out from the rest of the weapons, most likely long range sniping.

On another note, i'm giving the RL back it's original flamethrower alt-fire, already fixed many bugs and might add a new weapon (i don't have any good ideas though)

If anyone has any ideas on how to make the Rifle and Auto Shotgun look better, please send them to me.

If you wanna make the rifle, the standard Doomguy sprite seems to be holding a rifle that <Note that I'm not an artist> wouldnt look that hard to develop. On the autoshottie front, simply editing the current Shotgun model to look more modern and with a drum magazine <That actually fits into the gun> would work. Do note I've never modded doom, despite my want to, just dont know how to.

P.S. Turns out the grenades CAN self damage, but I had to pratically aim it at a wall for it to kill me.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@UnbornDecay25

I believe entirely new custom weapon sprites are out of the question, as the whole premise of Parkour was to only conjure patches out of vanilla assets. If you look into the .pk3 you would see that it contains no new sprites, only a TEXTURES lump that uses IWAD graphics to create new ones.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro

Post by TDRR »

DabbingSquidward wrote:@UnbornDecay25

I believe entirely new custom weapon sprites are out of the question, as the whole premise of Parkour was to only conjure patches out of vanilla assets. If you look into the .pk3 you would see that it contains no new sprites, only a TEXTURES lump that uses IWAD graphics to create new ones.
I can make the auto shotgun look better tho, i could give it an iron sight at the end of the barrel, AA-12 style.

And for the rifle i could make the barrel longer.
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

DabbingSquidward wrote:@UnbornDecay25

Yep, I'm an idiot and forgot that. After hearing that I went through Parkour and realized "Oh shit, none of the weapons changed" Thanks for reminding me. Damn Doom's limited weapons. <Note: Not serious bout that>
Thedarkcube

Post by Thedarkcube »

It's pretty good but there are some stuff which need fixes. 1 - when you equip the shotgun a black bar shows up on the top left corner of the screen. 2 - the faster reload makes the shotgun unbalanced. 3 - the grenade looks really weird being just a red potion
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Thedarkcube wrote:It's pretty good but there are some stuff which need fixes. 1 - when you equip the shotgun a black bar shows up on the top left corner of the screen. 2 - the faster reload makes the shotgun unbalanced. 3 - the grenade looks really weird being just a red potion
Do note the reloading shotgun is not exlcusive with this mod, it was in the original as well. And for the red potion, it could be an explosive potion, kinda like Hexen.

Sorry TDRR for the reply spam, last you'll hear from me for a while
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Yeah... I'm not sure I'm feeling this one so much. I found Xaser's Parkour mod a few years ago, back when I had just joined and loved the hell out of it (the TEXTURES trickery and total lack of assets was super impressive to me at the time), so I was very interested in seeing where this would go. But it doesn't really add too much to what made Xaser's mod so fun IMHO. Here's a few problems I have with it:
  • The rifle is redundant when there's the chaingun around, and the recoloring does not look good at all.
  • Similarly, the Uzis look a bit silly, with the stock type thing tacked onto the Doom pistol, and are also made redundant by the Chaingun IMO. There isn't really a need for three weapons filling the role of "full-auto hitscanner gun."
  • The grenades also look goofy but since they can be used any time and from a different ammo pool they're still useful. (Others have already pointed out the sound bug) You should probably add a grenade counter to the status bar HUD, however.
  • The autoshotgun is kinda neat, but I feel like even in TEXTURES you could get a bit more creative than a green recolor- see Wildweasel's Style Mod for an example (it's included in Doomvengers).
  • Also, the magazine animation for the autoshotgun is handled very inefficiently- you could build the magazine from the little CLIPA0 pieces in a separate patch and use that in all of the necessary frames.
  • The double sawn-offs were the coolest thing in the original mod besides the parkour itself and their "removal" (they're not actually removed, as you can get them with IDFA, they just don't spawn) is quite disappointing IMO.
  • Similarly, the random changes to the Rocket Launcher confuse me. Why change the reload system for no reason? Why remove the flamer altfire? (You should probably remove plasma as the second ammo type, it still shows on the HUD)
  • The reworked plasma altfire is nice!- but I'd suggest making the attack shoot more/do more damage and use more ammo the longer you charge. Also, the initial charge is way too long-it's literally longer than the BFG charge!
  • Why the random removal of the super weapons? It feels like your "addon" removes more than it adds!
  • Lastly, for a modified version of the "Parkour mod," this mod doesn't seem to add anything to the actual parkour, unless I'm missing something. Still just the basic walljump and the dash button. Maybe you could add, say, ledge grabbing, slides, multi-walljumps, possibly even double jumps?
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:Yeah... I'm not sure I'm feeling this one so much. I found Xaser's Parkour mod a few years ago, back when I had just joined and loved the hell out of it (the TEXTURES trickery and total lack of assets was super impressive to me at the time), so I was very interested in seeing where this would go. But it doesn't really add too much to what made Xaser's mod so fun IMHO. Here's a few problems I have with it:
  • LIST
    OF
    THINGS!!!!
The rifle is going to be for sniping and it completely replaces your default pistol if you choose so. (I might make it semi-auto)

Yes, i know the Uzis look silly and all, but i really suck at all this TEXTURES thing. They also play a different role than the Chaingun, as they are for when you need to start firing right off the bat, with zero spin-up time and a faster fire rate when holding them dual, but with the downside of a relatively small clip and having to reload.

Grenades look goofy, but they are chemical bombs (which do exist) so it made sense for them to be in a potion.

I know that it's possible to do better, but i really don't have any good ideas for it

The Rocket Launcher has this new reloading because i like it, it's my mod of a mod after all.
Yeah the flamer alt-fire is coming back on the next update, which you would know if you read my last post.

The Plasma Rifle may be buffed up.

Alright i'm going to put the Akimbo Shotguns again, althrough honestly they feel like trash and the only good thing about them is that they are akimbo.

The super weapons can break compatibility with monster mods, but now that i think of it i can add them as a separate patch, perhaps included in the PKShuffle.wad

Also yeah i was working on multiple wall jumps before i gave up on it, i don't think i can stop the player from walljumping on the same wall over and over again.

I too have a problem with your problems: Some of them are cosmetical nit-picks. Really if you have a better design for the rifle and the auto-shotgun, then send them in.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Thedarkcube wrote:It's pretty good but there are some stuff which need fixes. 1 - when you equip the shotgun a black bar shows up on the top left corner of the screen. 2 - the faster reload makes the shotgun unbalanced. 3 - the grenade looks really weird being just a red potion

1.- The black bar has already been fixed, i just haven't uploaded the update.

2.- The Shotgun reloading was too slow for the 8 shells you spit out in a matter of seconds

3.- Chemical Bomb (yeah right)
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

I know that it's possible to do better, but i really don't have any good ideas for it [...] Really if you have a better design for the rifle and the auto-shotgun, then send them in.
How's this?
Spoiler:
texturesweapons.wad
No reloading frames though. :( Auto shotgun can use a similar ammo box to the rocket launcher while the rifle can probably use what you have now for the auto shotgun.
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
The bonus sprites used as grenades could work if you cut off the little tube part and made it gray. I put that in the file too.
Yeah the flamer alt-fire is coming back on the next update, which you would know if you read my last post.
My mistake.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Hey, outta curiosity, does the enemy pack work without Parkour?
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Whoah wrote:Hey, outta curiosity, does the enemy pack work without Parkour?
I think so? I didn't make it dependant on Parkour except for the Uzi guys dropping their Uzis, so yeah it should work.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

TDRR wrote:
Whoah wrote:Hey, outta curiosity, does the enemy pack work without Parkour?
I think so? I didn't make it dependant on Parkour except for the Uzi guys dropping their Uzis, so yeah it should work.
Gnarly. I'll let ya know if I notice any issues
The Purple Marine

Post by The Purple Marine »

Mmm... Nice mod mate. I didn't read through the description(Parkour 2? Sign me up!) and was pleasantly surprised when I picked up the auto shotgun.
I might be of some help with ideas for weapon visuals.
During a sub 64 kilobyte modding contest a while ago I made a TEXTURES only mod, which was heavily inspired by parkour, that ended up being more of a tweak than a full on gameplay mod. It was, however initially planned to be a grand adventure with many enemy and weapon replacements.
(Funnily enough, I intended for there to be a chaingun replacement that looked like a silver shotgun, and met with the same results as you.) :lol:
Back to the point- for the autoshotgun, a good way to make it more visually distinct would be to give it lighted sights, I did it for my terrible "rifle"(pictured) which replaced the pistol. I would also recommend you add sounds for the reload, and maybe use the ssg loading hand instead of the fist hand? I'm not sure.
As for the rifle, I suggest you use Mr.Heracross's second rifle change, as I bet it wil make it easier to recolor.
Regardless, best of luck. I hope to see how this mod turns out :)
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20181130_195226.png
Screenshot_Doom_20181130_195226.png (58.35 KiB) Viewed 872 times
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

The Purple Marine wrote:-snip-
That actually is a really cool idea! Thanks, marine!

I was thinking of using Heracross's rifle because i really didn't have any better way to make the rifle look different from the Shotgun, so it's better than nothing, right?

Well, now i will finally get around to uploading the update after i do these tweaks.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”