Hell Caliber [HC2 Status Update]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP!] Hell Caliber (Previously Unnamed)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Clay wrote: *snip*
Heh, that looks pretty neat, but in the end I'm pretty sorely limited by my lack of artistic talent. Unless you can find me some doom-styled sprites of this thing, in which case I'd totally consider it! I'm already having trouble just finding sword sprites, though, I must be completely oblivious.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

This is a fun mod, only the knife is ridiculously strong. You should change that to a mighty sword or something, or keep it but make it much weaker.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Get Phobo wrote:*schwing*
Good news! Your dreams (and about 11 other people's dreams) of a sword are now fulfilled! Sort of. I was limited in my sprite selection and the new chainsaw replacement.... Still looks like a knife. Just a slightly longer one. Give it a try! It's very barebones right now and only contains two attacks (the second attack is just caused by holding down your mouse button) but will hopefully get some more soon. I also need to, uh, make it a bit more flashy. The pickup sound and equipping animation are pretty underwhelming for how it actually performs.
https://streamable.com/twuf7
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Looks more like a large pair of scissors rather than a sword.

As for the pickup sound, something with ancient-/medieval-sounding trumpets would be good. Or something Japanese-sounding, if you decide to make it a Samarai sword. (Pun intended.)
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

Get Phobo wrote:Looks more like a large pair of scissors rather than a sword.

As for the pickup sound, something with ancient-/medieval-sounding trumpets would be good. Or something Japanese-sounding, if you decide to make it a Samarai sword. (Pun intended.)
a scissor blade is perfect for a reference to a certain anime.
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

Just played a couple of levels with this mod loaded. All weapons feel quite unique. Plasma gun is probably my favorite. I also like the knife(?). Shotgunners sound creepy as hell. I'm not a fan of how the ssg works but other than that it's really fun.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

elCreyo wrote:*shortening quotes might not be necessary, but*
I'm glad you find the mod fun! I've said it before, but I really am surprised at the positive reception so far. Thank you all so much for your criticisms and feedback.
If I can ask, what about the SSG rubs you the wrong way?
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

Having to press the reload button after every shot kinda kills the fun. I'd rather have it vanilla way, where you just shoot constantly. That's really the only thing I don't like about it, since I really like the Doom 3 sprite.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

elCreyo wrote:*snip*
Fair enough! The automatic reloading option in the mod options menu also applies to the SSG, give that a try and hopefully it works well enough.

Small new update out, changelog in the main post as usual.

Edit:
Whoops! I forgot to make it so auto-reloading affects the SSG differently to other guns. Sorry for the trouble, file will be updated in a moment.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh my whoopsies. I forgot to play this mod after downloading it... Sorry 'bout that! Anyway i recently played this mod and my goodness, this is absolutely amazing and fairly action-packing!! Really nice work on Sound Effects and the Special Effects.

The Empty Cell Spawning after picking them up is very clever. And i guess 99% of the Sounds are from some Valve Games, eh? Then i gotta say, that's a very wise choice! They goes very well with the mod, especially Weapon ones. Gives me some the Realism-vibe to it.
Spoiler: ... And of course, here are some feedback and suggestions!
And that's about it! It's very impressive, smooth and fair weapon/monster mod. I like it!

EDIT: Just found out that Cyberdemon's own Grenade Explosion can hurt itself!
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Captain J wrote:*snip*
Thank you for the feedback and compliments, Captain!
Spoiler:
Stock-Doom

Post by Stock-Doom »

Erhm...

When I try to download the file, I directly go to the contents inside instead of the usual download link in Dropbox...

Can you fix that, please?
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Stock-Doom wrote:Erhm...

When I try to download the file, I directly go to the contents inside instead of the usual download link in Dropbox...

Can you fix that, please?
I'm not sure why that's happening, but if you click 'download' at the top right it'll download the zip as normal.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Slightly less WIP] Hell Caliber

Post by Captain J »

Ow shucks, i also forgot to re-download the mod. My Bad, again! Anyway thanks for the reply and i hope my feedback helped big time. I'd like to see this mod to be updated even more. I'll look forward to it!

Anyway about the word Half-Devoured, what i meant was the dropped casing sprites are all half, slightly buried under the floor. Do i make myself clear?

Also about the Plasma Rifle replacement, i think i can recommend some. If you really want to replace it.
Get Phobo

Re: [Slightly less WIP] Hell Caliber

Post by Get Phobo »

Could you make the barrels explode with a massive blast and a wide radius like in Brutal Doom?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”