Jittery Movement in GZDoom.

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
Velaron

Jittery Movement in GZDoom.

Post by Velaron »

I am trying to play GZDoom online with a friend, the ping is pretty low, I tried both net modes, -extratic etc. and it doesn't help. The problem is that my mouse (and more rare, player) movement is somewhat glitchy. It feels like it reverts my camera position back for a frame and then comes back. When I disable movement prediction, the issue is gone, but then of course comes the noticeable input lag. Mouse movement smoothing acts kinda the same, the jitter is gone but I can feel the lag. I tried to play GZDoom 3.5.1+, the thing is that like a few years ago I didn't suffer such problems with same players.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Jittery Movement in GZDoom.

Post by phantombeta »

Vanilla or with mods?
Certain mods do things in ways that make the player prediction mispredict, so when it actually reaches the next tic, the prediction is too far ahead, making it snap back. This usually happens when a mod modifies the player's mouse movement, such as slowing it, constraining it to a certain range, or locking the angle and/or pitch.
Velaron

Post by Velaron »

Yeah, that seems to be a problem in Hideous Destructor and it's camera tricks. So no solution, I guess?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Velaron wrote:Hideous Destructor
Unless it's something really clearly not open to modding or has previously been verified to be a GZDoom bug, with unexpected behaviour in HD it's best to presume it's an HD bug (or, sometimes, feature).

I think this has been addressed in more recent builds, can you give the latest commit a try?
Velaron

Post by Velaron »

The mouse problem got fixed in HD's git version, but walking still lags sometimes.

Return to “Networking”