Probalility of a Physics Engine in GZDOOM 5?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Ligmatism

Probalility of a Physics Engine in GZDOOM 5?

Post by Ligmatism »

OK, so big question I've had for a while,

Is there a chance of GZDOOM having a physics engine in a later version?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Probalility of a Physics Engine in GZDOOM 5?

Post by Graf Zahl »

Pay me $10000 and I may start some research.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Overwhelming majority of a physics which player can actually notice, like leverages, pendulums, springs and momentum, can be done in zscript.
With some restrictions even continuum mechanics, with pressures and triple points. All formulas available on wikipedia.
But yeah, you must code it by yourself.
Graf Zahl wrote:Pay me $10000 and I may start some research.
Do you accept bolivian dollars? :P
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:Do you accept bolivian dollars? :P
As long as the currency is equivalent to what he is asking when he brings it to the currency exchange I'm pretty sure he'll accept anything. That means multiply it by 7. (Since he didn't use the EU symbol I will assume he meant US dollar)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Keep in mind that I said "start doing the research"!

Joking asde, implementing a complete physics engine is a task that's going to cost you a lot more. I still have to make a living, meaning coding some far more mundane stuff (which has the benefit of bringing in some money), which leaves less time to do what is really interesting. This by necessity means that I'd only be able to do such a time consuming task if someone paid me for it. And by "paying" I do not mean some low token amount but finance my living for the entire time this thing would take to develop. And without prior knowledge on the subject matter this will take time. I guess when I say that $100000 is at the low end of what cost would be involved to do such a thing right.

In clear English, this is totally and utterly outside the scope of a hobby project.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

There are engines available that already have full physics available in them, anyhow, and some are open source as far as I know. UE4 being one of them, I think, possibly Unity is another?

It would be far easier to shove Doom into one of these, complete with a map reader, than it would be to get full physics into the Doom engine, itself. And if you're going to go down that road, you may as well have all the monsters recreated in model form.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”