DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sokoro

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by Sokoro »

I never said it should or could get a new cacoward, but it could be released to celebrate the 3 years anniversary.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sokoro wrote:I never said it should or could get a new cacoward, but it could be released to celebrate the 3 years anniversary.
It'll happen when it happens. Waiting is all you can do at this point. It's not like there's not a lot of others you can play while you wait.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Sokoro wrote:down to 5? the hype intensifies! it is almost 3 years since this mod got a cacoward. New version would be nice way to celebrate it. Code well and prosper!
Hehe, I'll try my best. I'm at about 3.5 things now.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

I'm really excited and am glad that the light is at the end of the tunnel. This is already one of the most expansive mods out there, and there's nothing like running a megawad through the good ol' DRLA remix to keep things fresh for me.

I may actually be taking a vacation day from work once this update comes out. I don't even do that for new AAA game releases, so that should tell you how excited I am.
phonemiller22

Post by phonemiller22 »

DUDES!!!! Can anyone help me find a way to turn off some of the CPU heavy features in Doom RL? I have done very light tinkering in Slade and am looking for a way to turn off the "huge blood fountain" when you use a explosive on monsters.... Maybe just have a "lite gore" type patch that turns off some but not all of the cool gibs and blood. I am thinking the slowdown might be from the "rain of body parts' kinda blood hitting the floor sound being triggered like 100 times a sec in large fights and causing CPU slow downs.... idk if anyone can help make a Toaster Friendly version of this mod I, and probably :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: other laptop gamers would Rejoice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

DoomRL Arsenal already has an option to turn off the gore effects. it's called "Fancy gore effects" in the DoomRL Arsenal options menu.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

And, all of sudden, a new Tech is here, trying to slow the progress down by bringing new(?) ideas :twisted:
1) A skill level bigger than UV, but not as specialized as Ar, TF and NM. It's UV + fast + aggressive (but NO respawning) and with higher chance of spawning Nm, Tech monsters etc. I mean, I can barely meet 1 or 2 Cacoabysses on skill 4, but spawning ONLY Cacoabysses lacks diversity.
2) Different Nazis! Not that dumb as they are now, no friendly fire, faster and deadlier. Some of them drop an MP38 (there are good sprites in ROTT). Also maybe replace Keen with somebody dangerous? :)
3) MP38 is Unique so it accepts one Exotic mod pack only. But due to all that EVIL made with those guns, it also accepts demonic artefacts. Each demonic level changes the effects of all four weapon mods (base, Nano, Firestorm and Sniper). So we have 4*(N+1) different modifications, where N is the maximum number of demonic artefacts allowed. I don't think having separate sprites for them worth it. As the Mysterious Magnum, it's enough to have different effects with the same muzzle flare.
4) Chain Assemblies, yes! But at most one secret assembly. Such as Heavy Tactical Shotgun (but no such thing as Plasmatic one) etc. Few "guess is it possible" combinations which do not break the balance. Maybe (High Power)² Minigun (but with Marine class it can be overpowered).
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

If you're willing to make all that, sure.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

wildweasel wrote:If you're willing to make all that, sure.
is he giving an idea or making it happen?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Machine-Reaper wrote:
Ideas are cheap. Somebody's got to actually make all that, and I can't imagine it'll be Yholl. He has enough on his plate.
phonemiller22

Post by phonemiller22 »

I am aware of the setting to turn off all the effects.. but i was thinking of a simple edit to turn off just the animation with the super gib that happens when a monster explodes and it is like a pipe breaks and it makes a 10 foot fountain of blood and all the blood drops make a "rain of spatters " type sound that i feel is heavy on the CPU from just that one effect.
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

that's... exactly what gets disabled if you turn off the gore effects, though.
phonemiller22

Post by phonemiller22 »

Well , it turns off all the effects
I just want to remove from the DEC or .pk3 that one super 10 foot spray for sure... maybe a few others that are the heavy CPU effects... and it would be like a "Low gore" setting or something. It should just be able to be done in SLADE easy... i am just a noob and tryed a few things ... but cant figure it out. Anybody that can find that effect in the .pk3 and how to edit it out would be a great help. I go to the test map and get really good performance with the screen full of effects and decals... its just that one fountain of blood thing that is the cpu breaker i feel.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

phonemiller22 wrote:its just that one fountain of blood thing that is the cpu breaker i feel.
Oh I think I getcha now. You want the gibbing gone, but you want to keep the fancy blood effects when you shoot things, right?

Basically what you'd want to do is open up the monsterpack, and go to the GIBBERS file near the top.
You'll see a bunch of actors, and some of them will have stuff like this:
  • Spawn:
    TNT1 A 0 NoDelay A_JumpIf(CallACS("DRLA_Gibs"), 1)
    stop
    TNT1 A 0 A_SetUserVar ("user_maxcount", 20)
Basically what this does, is if the fancy gibs are turned on, it'd jump to the next frame. If they're off, it won't jump, and it'll just hit the Stop and disappear.
Go through that file, maybe with Ctrl+F to quickly search and find these jumps, and just put two slashes in front of the A_JumpIfs like this:
  • TNT1 A 0 NoDelay //A_JumpIf(CallACS("DRLA_Gibs"), 1)
Those slashes cause anything on the line after them to be ignored, so it'll just go straight to the Stop instantly.
When fancy gibs are turned on, blood will still spray all fancy-like, but the big gibbing bursts when monsters explode will not happen anymore.

I hope that helps you! If I'm wrong about what you want, just let me know.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Two more suggestions/
1) Flames should cause much more light in the sector, probably flickering. It'll allow to effectively operate in dark areas with the flamethrower.
2) Another secret dual-assembly: shredder pistol, than revolver → shredder revolver. Almost the same as the pistol, but takes 4 shells at once so it's needed to be reloaded once per 4 bursts. I can draw it's sprites (if the idea of having secret dual-assemblies is accepted, of course).
wildweasel wrote:
Machine-Reaper wrote:
Ideas are cheap. Somebody's got to actually make all that, and I can't imagine it'll be Yholl. He has enough on his plate.
I'll probably cause a branch/merge hell this way. i'll try to read the code first and see if I can do something reasonable.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”