Hell Caliber [HC2 Status Update]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Golira

Re: [WIP!] Unnamed Gameplay Mod

Post by Golira »

wildweasel wrote:
Zachclaude55 wrote:I have one problem
It says the problem with the zip file and i cant open it or extract it
Did you try redownloading it?
Yes i have. Multiple times
Golira

Post by Golira »

wildweasel wrote:
Zachclaude55 wrote:I have one problem
It says the problem with the zip file and i cant open it or extract it
Did you try redownloading it?
yes
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Zachclaude55 wrote: -sniiiiiiip-
Okay, so, I'm going to tell you now that this problem probably isn't the fault of myself (I shouldn't assume, though!) and I'm sorry I can't help you, but responding to the same question twice in different posts isn't the right way to go about it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Samarai1000 wrote:
Zachclaude55 wrote: -sniiiiiiip-
Okay, so, I'm going to tell you now that this problem probably isn't the fault of myself (I shouldn't assume, though!) and I'm sorry I can't help you, but responding to the same question twice in different posts isn't the right way to go about it.
That's not really his fault, it's appearing in the queue multiple times because it just hadn't been approved the first time and I didn't bother checking if he had already been approved once for it before approving the second one. Now that he's had enough posts to no longer be in the queue, that shouldn't happen again.
camper

Post by camper »

Samarai1000 wrote:I agree completely, again, on player speed. That was more of a testing thing, I wanted it to have a bit of a tacticool vibe, but there's probably a better way to do it. For now, in the next update you'll be back to rocket-powered-wheelchair speeds.
No, please leave this speed. Or make a choice in the game settings (for example, in the choice of difficulty).
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I like the burning fade-away with the imps, I hope you apply it to all the other demons as well.
Sensu_Kamen

Post by Sensu_Kamen »

another epic one.
Sensu_Kamen

Post by Sensu_Kamen »

I have this problem where there's an file named dECORATE and the folder of the same name keep bumping heads. any ideas?
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sensu_Kamen wrote:I have this problem where there's an file named dECORATE and the folder of the same name keep bumping heads. any ideas?
If you mean the decorate.txt in the root directory, it just contains #include directives to enable the .zip's added benefit of a directory structure instead of namespaces.
Basically, it points to everything in the decorate folder, where everything is sorted neatly by category.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

The "Windows permissions stuff" is there so an app or website cannot randomly damage your whole system by running some malicious script or executing some evil command.

Generally, you're not supposed to normally do write operations outside your personal folder. That's what makes Unix- and NT-based OSes so relatively secure. DOS and consumer Windows used to be the horror -- the horror -- security-wise back in the 90s. Virtually anything could destroy your whole system just by executing some command because any process had admin privileges. There wasn't any actual real-time protection. We would use antivirus manually before copying stuff we had received from others (diskettes and CD-ROMs).
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

great stuff
really love the "tacticool" feel this gives without going full hideous destructor ( or *cough*brutaldoom*cough* )

just one nitpick - the ssg reload animation is... weird. Stands out too much from the rest of the weaponry. Id try some other spritework. Other than that, everything's awesome, especially the monsters. Spectres are truly frightening.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Don't worry, I know the SSG reload sucks. And I'm working on a new one that hopefully doesn't have such a weird perspective. Give it a looksie and tell me what you think, it could potentially be worse than before. https://streamable.com/eohv2
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

I think I like that one better.
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

i think it looks the same...

it's just to simple. Sprite goes down, sprite goes up. Not enough intermittent frames. Look at smooth doom's ssg reload animation for inspiration. Also i think it's unnecessary to bring the reload sprite all the way up to the same position where the original sprite was. Maybe try keeping it a bit lower.
f27

Post by f27 »

Cool mod, goes really well with corridor-heavy Doom-1-style maps; not so much with big open ones (especially if there are any Revenants, their projectiles are way too fast and homing to shoot them down reliably).

As some people have already said, reload times for the SSG and chaingun replacement feel a bit too slow. Inability to switch weapons mid-reload have costed me a few cheap deaths — seeing a Revenant come around a corner just as you start reloading an empty nade launcher is fucking terrifying. SSG damage buff could also help.

Really like the gibbing system, although I think when I first launched the mod the "gore draw range" was at the minimum for some reason. Cranking it up to max didn't seem to affect my fps. But what later DID chug my fps down to 5-10 (on Vrack 3 wad) I suspect was the sheer amount of stuff lying on the ground, like shells and casings, or something else, I don't know. It has also bloated my savefile size to over 1MB.

The sound replacements are generally fitting (dig the HL grunts and CS:S bots comms). Revvys' meat-and-metal hit sound feels a bit too over the top for me. The noise the chaingun-thing's empty magazine makes when dropped sounds like a barrel from HL2 and feels weird.

Had a blast with the mod overall, felt like Hideous Destructor-lite. Just little too slow in terms of weapon handling.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”