ScreeM vIII.5 - No weapon warping

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

ScreeM vIII.5 - No weapon warping

Post by Pixel Eater »

Download ScreeM vIII.5
To remove weapon warping install ScreeM 3.5 and make sure GZDoom is up to date and enable bloom.
I like:
BigButts.wad
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
ScreeM comes with a slider which reconfigures older palettes for use with LCDs, a realistic temperature control to simulate the cooler tone of CRTs, an updated colour dispersion effect and more.
Spoiler: Images
Spoiler: Updates
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Pixel Eater

Re: ScreeM vIII

Post by Pixel Eater »

Some more pictures:

Unlike CRT emulating palettes, ScreeM can work with voxels and multiple games' palettes.
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reikall

Post by reikall »

Going even a little over 100 for color saturation starts doing strange things. And at -300:

Not a complaint. More psychedelic, please.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Huh, that is weird! It's supposed to go negative but that looks like a halo of some sort. Even the grey tiles are gaining hues :shock:

Are there any other shaders running that might be interacting with it? Maybe a different loading order will fix it. If so, keep a note how it happened cause it looks pretty :mrgreen:
Pixel Eater

Re: ScreeM vIII.4 - Autochthonic Widescreen Mode

Post by Pixel Eater »

Something I worked out last night: If you enable autochthonic width, don't use letterboxing (set forced aspect to 16:9), increase the view to get the widescreen HUD and have a FOV of 84 your screen will look massive! Plus it isn't zooming any further than DooM originally did, the FOVs should align :geek:
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

It is meant to look like this?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Are you referring to the HUD weapon? For now GZDoom can't place shaders behind the player sprite but when it does I'll update straight away. I've seen hints this is being worked on but wasn't sure how to run it for myself.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I've come to a conclusion I thought I would share in case it helps anyone with dialling ScreeM in- The more you can make your monitor look like a CRT without using the 'Old Pal Makeover' feature then the less you will need it. I'm finding it looks better if you use it as the icing that gets you to the finish line (Low blood sugar is no joke).

For example, try adjusting things (starting from neutral) in the following order: Temperature > Phosphors/Grill > Contrast > Gamma > O'Pal M'over.

The idea being that each setting has a run-on effect with the next and you'll need successively less adjustments. Why does this make the O'Pal M'over work better? Because of it only adjusting colours and leaving greys completely untouched, it won't change the gamma of your display. In fact the greys will look abnormally bright in relation to the resultant colours if you don't set the gamma first. Likewise, contrast will have more of an effect on gamma than gamma does on contrast, and so on as you go backwards.

Doing things this way will look better over all but means I need to change something in the future. The O'Pal M'over also alters the hues and that doesn't need to be reduced along with the brightness and/or saturation of the colours.
Pixel Eater

Re: ScreeM vIII.5 - No weapon warping

Post by Pixel Eater »

The newest update is up and it allows the weapons' aspects to display consistently. The only issue is that you'll need to keep bloom on for it to work. Until the next key release of GZDoom is out you'll need to use a developer version as well.
I've included "BigButts.wad" in the OP which will return the weapons back to their widened form and additionally (from memory because it's an old wad) I centered the weapons with the screen and crosshair.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

The next update of this is still a while away but I made a leap in the CRT palette correction stuff:
Spoiler: And a 'before':
This has come about because I've gotten ahold of some comparison data which seems to be the real deal and avoids the over-darkening that my older stuff suffered from.

Heretic pics:

.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

At the risk of sounding dumb: would this work alongside torridgristle's RetroShader or bad things would happen?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

If you're using RetroShader's pixelation then I'd load Screem after it and set it's resolution slider at 1:1. I think that should avoid any conflicts.
But if instead you load RetroShader second and use the screen curve tool you might be able to warp the phosphors from Screem.
I haven't actually tested, just brainstorming! Definitely try messing with their loading order anyhow :twisted:
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

Hahaha sounds good then. I'm a mess around with them over the next week and report back any interesting findings. I'm currently running PalPlus with RetroShader, and seeing how ScreeM handles reds made me wanna try this too. Trying to go for a grim, gritty, sinister look.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

For a newer vibrant version of these wander over to here.

Here's a palette made with the tone controls in the upcoming Screem which I'm pretty happy with. There's a second file for Sigil too which adds a Slade-generated colourmap for use with the SW renderer. It keeps the episode from looking too dark with this palette. Screem 4 will feature a dynamic light boost for the hardware renderer to simulate the same effect.
Spoiler: Example screenshots
Attachments
Screem4_Sigil_Pal.wad
(19.04 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Screem4_Doom_Pal.wad
(10.53 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

Return to “Shaders”