Motion Blur?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

DOOMGABR [RU]

Motion Blur?

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

Surprisingly, than gzd still have no this feature. There's a reason for that, I think. But still I try suggest it.
dpJudas

Re: Motion Blur?

Post by dpJudas »

The reason is fairly simple. I always immediately disable that feature whenever a game allows me to, so I had no motivation to write such a pass. Seems nobody else volunteered to write one either.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The only reason I would do it is to emulate a higher refresh rate on my screen than my screen actually has. And that means only tween frames would be rendered, none of this bullshit with "true" motion blur where if you dare move your mouse too fast the entire screen becomes an acid trip.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Motion blur makes me nauseous. I have no interest in that feature, and from the previous posts it looks I am not alone. So good luck! It looks like there's no developer willing to invest their time.
I think we may just close this outright. Unless someone interested makes a working pull request this won't happen.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Total Chaos has a motion blur user post processing shader, but I doubt it is true motion blur as done in modern engines like Unreal Engine etc. It's probably just copying the previous frame and fading it out, like those old PS2-era GTA games.

(Did not look at the source, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

That said, I actually have a counter-argument to the anti-motion blur crowd - having it on actually hides the the bad part of not being able to achieve full 60 frames.

Total Chaos, as it was, was already struggling to run at full 60 FPS on my computer. Turning on the motion blur shader "masked" the problem and made it look, uh, IDK, "cinematic"? It bothered me less because it hides the fact that I can't see all 60 frames.

Total Chaos wasn't the first game to make me realize this. Even way back then, on an older computer, when Crysis first came out - I DEFINITELY could not hit 60 frames, so I had to settle with the game running at 30 frames on my PC. Turning on motion blur made 30 frames look "smoother" if that makes sense.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That doesn't answer the ultimate question, though - are you, or is there anyone you know, willing to do the work to make this a reality? :P And I already addressed that point in my post, albeit it was about monitors with a slow refresh rate (i.e. 60Hz).

However, I would argue that the motion blur you are describing actually does more to slow things down than to speed things up.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

The whole point of motion blur is to make movement feel smoother by reducing temporal aliasing. It is sort of like a linear texture filter, but then for time.

I just don't like the effect in games because it destroys the crispness of the image when moving around. Especially for shooters I find it particular bad as part of the gameplay is to point at specific pixels while in fast movement and motion blur makes that harder. It is like voluntarily playing the game on a high response time LCD monitor.

Anyway, each to his own. I don't think anyone is against a motion blur PR, we just don't want to code it. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, precisely that. It's not fun coding stuff you have absolutely no personal use for and no interest investigating the technicalities behind it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Rachael wrote:That doesn't answer the ultimate question, though - are you, or is there anyone you know, willing to do the work to make this a reality? :P And I already addressed that point in my post, albeit it was about monitors with a slow refresh rate (i.e. 60Hz).

However, I would argue that the motion blur you are describing actually does more to slow things down than to speed things up.
No, but if I absolutely wanted it in GZDoom, I'd just use whatever it is that Total Chaos was doing (in other words, as a user post processing shader).

I don't really care enough about the feature currently, so no skin off my back. =P

And yes, I know that any kind of added post processing will cost performance and make things slower, but what I was trying to explain was that motion blurring masks the problem of not being able to achieve 60 frames - the tweening hides the stuttering of sub-60 FPS and makes 30 FPS or even 24 FPS "kind of look smooth" (that cinematic thing I was talking about).
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I would assume this is about object motion blur (which isn't as nausea-inducing as camera motion blur). For something like this one would need a buffer to store the per-pixel relative velocity of things around the camera.

I'm too busy with other things to make this myself, but if anyone needs help to start with it, I'd be happy to assist.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

One question: Why? What's this obsession to add the degrading effects by today's cameras to an image that is perfectly sharp?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Graf Zahl wrote:One question: Why? What's this obsession to add the degrading effects by today's cameras to an image that is perfectly sharp?
Same reason why some people prefer nearest neighbour VS trilinear-filtering: individual taste! :mrgreen:
sinaptica

Post by sinaptica »

Graf Zahl wrote:One question: Why? What's this obsession to add the degrading effects by today's cameras to an image that is perfectly sharp?
Well, I can understand someone wanting to simulate certain lens phenomena and/or the peculiarities of a particular film medium if they want to simulate a real world camera. For narrative or stylistic purposes.

I cannot for the life of me understand the fixation some FPS game developers have to introduce these kind of effects (lens flares, liquids splashing into a transparent planar surface in front of the character, motion blur, etc...) into what's supposed to be the character's viewpoint.

To each their own, I guess.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Motion blur is different than those other effects in the sense that it is trying to fix a specific aliasing problem. As Nash already described, it helps a lot at lower frame rates. Even at higher ones it does make the movement feel more smooth, but it comes with the price of a less crisp scene.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

sinaptica wrote:, liquids splashing into a transparent planar surface in front of the character, motion blur, etc...) into what's supposed to be the character's viewpoint.
That one at least makes a little sense in Doom's case, considering Doomguy is wearing a helmet. I still don't care about these effects.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”