[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer - 1.4c, Slow yourself down

Post by Wivicer »

That looks like a sprite naming conflict. Are you running this with any other mods?
UTNerd24

Post by UTNerd24 »

Would it be fair to say that this is Pillowblaster's Tamest mod?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

UTNerd24 wrote:Would it be fair to say that this is Pillowblaster's Tamest mod?
Probably, but only because Guncaster is the other primary milestone. It still gets pretty crazy when everything is upgraded; and the high end guns are definately overpowered. The Skullthrottle just stunslocks Spidey and Cybie until they die, and the Nutcracker can one-shot entire maps with a Nut Force One Glory Shot. Early on is fairly balanced though.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

Wivicer wrote:That looks like a sprite naming conflict. Are you running this with any other mods?
Yeah, I use the mod with the brutal doom monsters only addon.
aaron03071991

Post by aaron03071991 »

Hi all!

So i have a question. Is it only for me, or anyone else here have big performance impact when using flares?
Game runs fine with Trailblazer, 60 FPS all the time, but when i use flares, i get drops to 20-30 FPS.
I tried messing around with dynamic lights and other gfx options, yet nothing help.

My rig:
i7-7700HQ @ 2,80GHz (without turbo)
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 4GB
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

NullWire wrote:
Wivicer wrote:That looks like a sprite naming conflict. Are you running this with any other mods?
Yeah, I use the mod with the brutal doom monsters only addon.
thats what's causing it, same thing happens with some other mods too. It has to do with sprite name conflicts iirc.
erni945

Post by erni945 »

aaron03071991 wrote:Hi all!

So i have a question. Is it only for me, or anyone else here have big performance impact when using flares?
Game runs fine with Trailblazer, 60 FPS all the time, but when i use flares, i get drops to 20-30 FPS.
I tried messing around with dynamic lights and other gfx options, yet nothing help.

My rig:
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 4GB
I noticed that I have a similar situation but only on maps where there are other non-standard textures, the only thing you can do right now is to use a night vision device, I hope the Pillow will look at this before deciding to release the next version
aaron03071991

Post by aaron03071991 »

erni945 wrote:
aaron03071991 wrote:Hi all!

My rig:
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 4GB
I noticed that I have a similar situation but only on maps where there are other non-standard textures, the only thing you can do right now is to use a night vision device, I hope the Pillow will look at this before deciding to release the next version
Ah, yes! I was playing Whispers of Satan. I check it in vanilla Doom 2 and i dont get such performance impact there. Odd, but i guess issue solved.
As for using googles instead flares, good idea, yet, flares give such fancy light, i really enjoy it, and googles arent present in every map pack, so Ill have to use console command to grand me one.
Also, Pillowblaster could think about something to make blueprints be less random. I mean, if i already have Riftbombs, but dont have Striploader, game can spawn Riftbombs again, which is useless for me, as i already have that. So or some kind of fancy script that will check what upgrades player have, and spawn only those player dont have yet, or maybe borrow idea of shop from Guncaster?
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

The flares have enormous dynamic lights attached to them. And, on very detailed maps, such lights will turn the game into a slideshow when they move around on such maps within detail-rich areas.

A possible solution could be to make the flares stationary, so that they don't move around, and won't cause massive performance hits on detailed maps.
aaron03071991

Post by aaron03071991 »

You have a good point, yet im really surprised such old game like Doom can have such issues.

Like cmon, i run Doom from 2016 on my rig, almost everything maxed out, with stable 60 FPS (tho in 720p).
john190

Post by john190 »

So yeah I plan on doing a tribute mod to Trailblazer.
Do you guys think that Pillowblaster is gonna be okay with that?
aaron03071991

Post by aaron03071991 »

Depends what you exactly want to do, also, i would just ask him about his oppinion in priv message.
Sadly, i dont know how to code at all, i have few ideas, yet lack of skills needed to code anything prevents me from doing mods. I dont want spaghetti code like that one in brutal doom haha.
Stock-Doom

Post by Stock-Doom »

Well, in my opinion, we should wait that Pillow fix those nasty bugs first, before doing anything.

The flare problem needs to be addressed, the FMG still have some animations to be fixed...

Also, he may have something new to introduce in a upcoming version soon.

For now on, I think he's busy with real-life stuff.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Stock-Doom wrote:Well, in my opinion, we should wait that Pillow fix those nasty bugs first, before doing anything.

The flare problem needs to be addressed, the FMG still have some animations to be fixed...

Also, he may have something new to introduce in a upcoming version soon.

For now on, I think he's busy with real-life stuff.
I am mostly busy concentrating on my other two mods now, given this one is I am mostly done with. Those weren't nasty bugs, mind you - fixed them pretty quick and they weren't really affecting gameplay. I don't feel like throwing out an update without testing things through, though. TB probably won't get anything in new content anymore, it's pretty jam-packed anyway and I have a problem with knowing when to stop.
aaron03071991 wrote:Also, Pillowblaster could think about something to make blueprints be less random. I mean, if i already have Riftbombs, but dont have Striploader, game can spawn Riftbombs again, which is useless for me, as i already have that. So or some kind of fancy script that will check what upgrades player have, and spawn only those player dont have yet, or maybe borrow idea of shop from Guncaster?
Making stuff spawn accordingly to player's inventory can end up a tad hard to do sensibly, especially with multiplayer involved. I added a junk bonus from dupes for that matter. If Zhs2 will have an idea about implementation, we'll see about it.

Shop was a huge pain in the ass in the long run, given how things were changing and it was not prepared for those changes. Then after throwing new shop in, with already established systems on everything that are, more often than not, not replaceable by any means... Not gonna do it again, at least not for any already existing project.
Talon1024 wrote:The flares have enormous dynamic lights attached to them. And, on very detailed maps, such lights will turn the game into a slideshow when they move around on such maps within detail-rich areas.

A possible solution could be to make the flares stationary, so that they don't move around, and won't cause massive performance hits on detailed maps.
I was wondering about that; I was pretty happy the size restriction was lifted so I could make them actually illuminate stuff, but I guess given the performance hit it causes, I'll tone it down.
john190 wrote:So yeah I plan on doing a tribute mod to Trailblazer.
Do you guys think that Pillowblaster is gonna be okay with that?
I usually am cool with things when people just ask me first and tell me what they're up to, yeah.
aaron03071991

Post by aaron03071991 »

Shame you dont plan to add anything.
1 thing, would make it really awesome, 1 liners like in brutal doom, but in different style...
Lets say we get shotgun upgrade and then our badass says: "See this? This is my boomstick!" In this style
https://youtu.be/6A4-SVUHQYI?t=280
After killing huge enemy like cyberdeamon, or maybe after group of smaller ones, "F you!" in this style
https://youtu.be/0dofacvjRkc?t=55

Badass awesomeness 11/10

Return to “Gameplay Mods”