Hell Caliber [HC2 Status Update]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Hell Caliber [HC2 Status Update]

Post by Samarai1000 »

The hell is this?
Spoiler:
Recommended Mods:
Spoiler:
What's not done?
Spoiler:
Weapons:
Spoiler:
Click here to download the mod from Dropbox!
Last updated: March 2nd, 2019

Minor update informaton:
Spoiler:

Credits: (taken from the mod's credits.txt)
Spoiler:
If I forgot to credit your work, please tell me ASAP so I can rectify the credits file. My memory is terrible and I don't mean to leave out credit where it's due!
Last edited by Samarai1000 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:09 am, edited 36 times in total.
Whoah

Re: [WIP!] Unnamed Gameplay Mod

Post by Whoah »

Looks cool! Judging by the vaguely gun-based theme, maybe something like "Hell Caliber" or some shit? I don't know, but something catchy and gun-related could work well
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Hell Caliber sounds like a cool name for a mod, and it fits. :D
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

"Way of The SAMARAI(1000)"
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

i think u should add an option to disable barrel parts(and effects)
found a bug-reloading ssg uses shells stored in shotgun(didnt check the opposite)?also i think that ssg should be buffed-sometimes it cant kill demon in 1 shot and its slower
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

BFGSG
I like this already.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Gorec wrote:i think u should add an option to disable barrel parts(and effects)
found a bug-reloading ssg uses shells stored in shotgun(didnt check the opposite)?also i think that ssg should be buffed-sometimes it cant kill demon in 1 shot and its slower
There already is an option, actually! I forgot to mention that there's a "mod options" menu. Look at the bottom of your options menu and you should be able to find it. It's currently a little bare, but has options for disabling barrel parts and the 'sparks' from explosions as well as other things you might want to tinker with, like the distance at which the blood/gib sprites are rendered. I am a little worried that all the particle effects created may cause some performance issues, but I really like the look of them.
As for the bug, thank you so much for pointing it out! I'll get that fixed in a second and update the dropbox file. (Edit: The bug is fixed.) As for the balance, though, the SSG is able to kill demons in one shot. I test/play the mod on Ultra-Violence, and a close-range blast is enough to kill them in one shot. It's very ineffective at range, though, fall back to your regular shotgun for that. I'm considering buffing the damage of some weapons, testing the mod I'm starting to wonder if I've made it too hard.
Matt wrote:I like this already.
Don't form an opinion on something until you play it, especially a positive one! :)
I'm also realizing that acronym is redundant. Darn.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Played a bit and the sound design alone makes me want a HL2 weapons mod for Doom all of a sudden. I also like how the SMG's world sprite looks like GZDoom's default pistol pickup sprite with a drum tacked on and the viewsprite being a frankensprite of UT's Enforcer/Automag. Props to the designer/s :)

I only got one bug to report so far:
SPF_Interpolate is bugged and whenever a weapon recoils the view jitters when moving the mouse sideways as a result, could you remove it? :)

Keeping my eyes peeled on any further updates B-)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Hey, tried this out.

It's actually really well done. I noticed in the credits file something, if you wanted new frames for the plasma rifle, all you had to do was ask. :D (No one seems that interested in it, so I never finished the thing.)

Couple of things, the loading hand for the double barrel looks a little too small, especially since the supporting hand is still on-screen while you are loading.

Also, the weapons losing accuracy as they keep firing (even on semi-auto) was quite a clever trick, although the pistol does tend to jump around a bit for a 9mm. And the player's reduced speed may cause problems in some maps. Article A: triggering the rocket launcher secret in MAP01 of Doom2, as well as some Plutonia maps that utilise the ability to "drift" over gaps if done at high enough speed.

Apart from that, a pretty solid weapons mod. Oh, and other things mod. Skimmed over the readme so those imps caught me unawares. Basderds.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I'm really into how smooth this whole mod plays and how polished it feels and I absolutely LOVE how well done the HUD is. My only issues are the SSG reload baby-hands (which got a genuine guffaw out of me when I first saw the animation) and the fact that bullets have dynamic lights for some reason. I'd understand them having lights if they were tracers or energy rounds or something but they shouldn't have lights otherwise.

Also, I think that it's important that changed player move speed be optional as it can screw up some maps if you're too slow for them. Some mods that have slower movement speed have a sprint function so if you're intent on keeping this slower move speed I suggest implementing something like that. Lastly, I feel as though the plasma gun is a little too ammo efficient for the damage it deals. You may not get all that much ammo from pickups but your max ammo of 600 can last seemingly indefinitely. It's so much more efficient than the BFGSG that it also seems to be less risky and faster to use it to kill a Spider Mastermind considering the only way it can benefit you over the plasma gun is allowing for hit and run tactics where you pop in and out of cover to charge and fire the BFGSG. The plasma gun takes about 60-ish (on my test, exactly 64) shots to kill a Spider Mastermind while the BFGSD takes maybe 200+ ammo.

Found an issue with your blood occlusion thing, btw: https://gfycat.com/IdealMiserableFruitbat
camper

Post by camper »

Good stylistically set of weapons. There are conventional weapons and fantastic high-tech.
But the mod is not very balanced for playing deathmatch with bots. Grenade launcher is very demanding on computer resources. And the bullets fly to infinite distance. There are not some effects, such as water bursts from bullets.
Overall I liked it.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Vostyok wrote: -snip-
Hey! Thank you so much for the feedback, and those angled plasma rifle sprites. I swear, they're the only angled plasma-rifle sprites I could find that still resemble the boxy high-tech vacuum-cleaner design of the original. I completely agree about the double barrel loading animation, since I started with those I've had all sorts of problems. In the original sprites, you couldn't even see the second barrel of the shotgun during the loading frames until a very nice anon put together a fix for me. The perspective of it is still wonky as hell, though. I really wish I didn't suck artistically, because angled double-barrel sprites with doom hands aren't super common.

I agree completely, again, on player speed. That was more of a testing thing, I wanted it to have a bit of a tacticool vibe, but there's probably a better way to do it. For now, in the next update you'll be back to rocket-powered-wheelchair speeds. I might lessen pistol recoil, too.
Someone64 wrote: -snap-
Thank you, too! The reception to this dumb project has been surprisingly positive. As stated before, I am aware of doomguy's baby hands during the SSG reload. One day the SSG won't look like ass. I removed dynamic lights from bullet tracers, since you're right about them not being tracers or energy rounds, and honestly I found the lights on them to look a little ugly at times.
I'll be posting a second-go at balancing the plasma rifle and the BFG in a moment. The rifle now fires quite a bit faster, though not as fast as the vanilla equivalent. Damage on its projectiles is lessened to be only slightly more powerful than vanilla plasma balls. And lastly, its fire rate reduces dramatically when its close to overheating, and heat is gained faster. It has less recoil (I basically had to since the fire-rate is increased) and doesn't gain inaccuracy as it gains heat, so it'll remain accurate no matter what. As for the BFG, I've halved its spread and the speed of charging. It still takes the same amount of cells to charge it fully, doing so is much faster. It may still need some tinkering.

As for the blood occlusion, I'll take a look at it, but I truthfully worry I have no clue how to fix it.
Golira

Post by Golira »

I have one problem
It says the problem with the zip file and i cant open it or extract it
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zachclaude55 wrote:I have one problem
It says the problem with the zip file and i cant open it or extract it
Did you try redownloading it?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

If that fails, try extracting it in a different location (pref not C-drive). Since the update, the windows permissions stuff -I thought I got rid of- have come back with a vengeance recently, and I had to extract to a desktop folder before I could move it to my GZDoom. Might not be the case for you, but it happened to me.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”