Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Goodies and 1.15 update packs

Post by Vostyok »

Yeah, I can always add it in anyway. If you don't want to use it you don't have to, I guess.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I don't really think this mod needs a kick. Pretty much every other mod under the sun has either a quick kick or kick alt-fire, and it ends up becoming nothing more than a quick melee attack 9 times out of 10. We already have a knife, and there weren't many situations where I needed to knock someone back, and even when I did, I just whipped out the pile bunker. I personally think the kick would be super redundant given the pile bunker and knife already fulfill both of it's roles, and I seldom need both in one attack.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

Okay, I just finished it; that was absolutely amazing, though I can only hope that the ending is reworked to continue the story rather than cut everything short just as we're piecing everything together. Every level got better and better and I could play this forever.

By the time you get the scope, it's redundant. This may have been better placed in the 2nd / 3rd levels due to the more open environment. For example, there could be enemy snipers placed on the Red's base, better suggesting the need to go around. That said, it could just be put off until Episode 2.

Outstanding work at a level of map design and story-telling and world building that matches or exceeds what AAA games are putting out.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

I'm happy you enjoyed it. I've said it before, but this was a bit of an experiment for me, especially regarding mapping which I had very little experience in. It's got a ton of flaws (I think I'll rely less on jumping and narrow rooms in my next venture, and the ending did leave a lot of questions unanswered, but that was partially intentional).

Still, I've learned a lot since then. All the constructive feedback is helping me make better games.

Also, expect more open areas next time. I've got some new enemies in mind that won't force a close quarters fight every time...
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

I'm having troubles with the machine pistol. It can be picked up but doesn't appear as a hud weapon. This problem has persisted since version 1.00. This is what my command line looks like:

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Ashes2063Maps115.wad nashgore.wad Ashes2063Mod115.pk3 AshesJetfire.pk3 CJs_WastedAshesSFXs.wad -config gzdoom-Ashes.ini
I use GZDoom 3.6.0. Perhaps the load order is wrong?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Yeah, it's not you, it's a bug with the Jetfire mod and the machinepistol replacer actor. We're working on a fix. Sorry.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Good to know. Thank you for your quick reply.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Okay, I've tried out the new version of jetfire and all seems to be working. Thanks Railgunner. :D
BoJustBo

Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Goodies and 1.15 update packs

Post by BoJustBo »

And now I too have finished Ashes.
Overall it was pretty great. Music, graphics, mood.
I mainly just have two complaints. One being the motorcycle sections, really unfun with the combination of slow handling and high damage on crashing. The other being an area in... was it the second to last level maybe? Anyways you had to jump down into a radioactive area to get a key, damage was unavoidable and I'd gotten there with not much health, needless to say, I had to savescum like 15 times to get past it since I needed to develop speedrunner skills to beat it.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

IMO the motercycle should handle tighter at low speeds, but a way to mitigate the unfair amount of damage when hitting a wall would be to throw the player off of the bike beyond a certain speed and deal a fixed amount of maximum damage.

You should use a 'purge' stim to stop the radiation effect in that area, but no, it's not easy to jump in there!
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Considering the toxic dump was completely optional, and you don't need that key unless your going to the mall, I feel justified in making it a challenge. I've seen at least one youtuber finding a cheeky way of making it a cinch.

I'm working on the bike for the next release. I'll be changing how it's used and how it handles.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the comments. :D
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

The bike just needed some new parts... a fixer-upper, if you will.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

PRIMEVAL wrote:The bike just needed some new parts... a fixer-upper, if you will.
Which is what it's getting in Ep2, literally and figuratively. Maybe even a new paint job.

Lampshade hangin' to the mad-max.
ReformedJoe

Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Goodies and 1.15 update packs

Post by ReformedJoe »

Well Dead Man Walking is coming along nicely. At around 80%. It's going to be tight but I think November is still on the table.

Last bunch of shots here:
Spoiler:
The project is now 4 levels (but in the interest of honest marketing, it's really more like 2.5 levels :lol: )

Tentative release date: November 30.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Dude, that looks cool!

Take your time. Good things should never be rushed.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”