The Metroid Dreadnought playable trailer is OUT!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CrazyWazy

The Metroid Dreadnought playable trailer is OUT!

Post by CrazyWazy »

Download and Game Page

https://gamejolt.com/games/metroiddreadnought/342865

Note: the package contains everything you need to run the trailer, including freedoom2 and GZDoom.

Plot

"The year is 2005 C.C. Five years after I destroyed the Space Pirate camp on Zebes and defeated Mother Brain. Since then, the Galactic Federation has started to carefully protect the newly discovered Metroids. In a station on Metus, a moon orbiting the planet Phoebys, researchers discovered the origins and capabilities of the Metroids, while the Galactic Federation watched over them. But something caught them off-guard; a new group of copycat Space Pirates. Five minutes ago, I received a distress signal from Metus. Metus is under attack!" - Samus Aran

History

"Metroid: Dreadnought is a Zandronum weapon/gameplay mod for Doom II inspired by both Prime and Super, aiming to combine the speed and weapons of Super Metroid with the hectic gunplay of Metroid Prime--go through a familiar arsenal, pick up new weapons, pull off familiar moves, invent new maneuvers, all against an ever-marching legion of the greatest threat to hit the galaxy." - from https://www.moddb.com/mods/metroid-dreadnought

Developed by TerminusEst13 in 2014, Metroid Dreadnought put galactic bounty hunter Samus Aran in the place of Doomguy. Unfortunately, development was stopped after version 1.0, and an official single-player campaign was never created.

Many attempts to turn Dreadnought into standalone projects failed. Not wanting his work to be left useless, R4L decided to split off from those failed projects and add to the base mod, creating Metroid Dreadnought Overhaul. This mod allows Dreadnought to run on a much newer version of GZDoom while simultaneously fixing bugs and adding new features.

Disappointed by the lack of maps for Dreadnought, CrazyWazy set out in late 2017 to create a feature-length campaign for it, combining the best aspects of both Metroid and Doom. The campaign features a nonlinear map that unlocks as the player progresses, Doom-like traps and monster encounters, and a full original soundtrack!

Again, the mod itself isn't mine, but the map is.

We have a Discord server! https://discord.gg/dy5eAJF

The original mod: https://www.moddb.com/mods/metroid-dreadnought

Terminus's original Dreadnought thread: viewtopic.php?t=45872

R4L's Metroid Dreadnought Overhaul 1.4 thread: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=61918

Trusty McLegit

Re: The Metroid Dreadnought playable trailer is OUT!

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Sounds awesome! I've always thought a metroidvania style doom campaign would be great, but never had the time or skill to do it justice myself. I'll check this out when I get home. About how long will the finished map be? Will it actually be one map, or will it use a hub system?
CrazyWazy

Post by CrazyWazy »

The finished "map" will actually span several full-sized areas! I'm using the cluster feature in ZDoom to connect them all together, with no definite "hub" per say. I'm making a feature-length campaign too, so it's not like a traditional Doom WAD. I want the masses to be able to play it, and that's why I'm using freedoom2, putting everything needed to run the game in the package, and sharing the game on a platform like GameJolt.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just played through the trailer map. The only issue I had was finding the morph ball. Once I'd got that the rest of the map went okay. The boss fight took me a few attempts, though, and the end was pretty cool. Look forward to seeing more.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Aside from the hidden switch to the Morph Ball room, I think it's pretty neat overall.
You could have just placed only the Charge beam, since the other beams felt a bit out of place for a prologue-like map, and some of the monsters could have been kept for the full-scaled map you're working on.
Good luck with the rest!
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

For those who have problems with missing textures - DO NOT launch this with iwads other than freedoom2.wad
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Looks great :) Er, am I an idiot, or where do you go after the first couple of rooms? I can reach two blue doors, and I see the vent behind the desk in one of the quarters but I don't know how to get there.

By the way, if you're releasing this standalone you can specify the iwad to use in your gzdoom.ini with this:

Code: Select all

[GlobalSettings]
queryiwad=false
defaultiwad=Freedoom: Phase 2
Last edited by DavidN on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korell

Post by Korell »

DavidN wrote:Looks great :) Er, am I an idiot, or where do you go after the first couple of rooms? I can reach two blue doors, and I see the vent behind the desk in one of the quarters but I don't know how to get there.
I got stuck here for some time, too. Go back to the earlier rooms and have another look around. You'll find something that lets you get into the vent, but you'll need to look carefully as it's not all that obvious.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Got it, thanks! That's... a surprisingly secret way to start the game, unless you're planning on that to set the tone for the rest of the game's main path! Once I got going it worked great, I liked how you translated the morph ball mechanics and everything to ZDoom (bearing in mind I haven't really played much Metroid beyond the Super variety in the mid-90s).

Return to “Levels”