Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Naitguolf

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by Naitguolf »

Oh I see. Thanks!
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

DoomN00b wrote:YO! Gifty, if I give you and your contributors FULL credit, may I use your work in this mod as the base for a custom-enemy I'm working on? = )

The enemy in question I want to use, is the Revenant.

Let me know!
For sure, if you credit me for the revenant you can totally use it! :D
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Hey all! I've completed a test of new and revised animations for the zombiemen, which are not yet in SmoothDoom but will soon be part of a long-term effort to remaster a lot of the animations in the mod. You can view them in this test wad -- particularly, the Zombiemen's frontal walk cycle has been TOTALLY redone from the ground up to include twice as many frames. The imp is going to be the next monster to get some improvements. Black gloves will also hopefully be returning to the mod soon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UjVR ... sp=sharing
VGA

Post by VGA »

Gifty wrote:Hey all! I've completed a test of new and revised animations for the zombiemen, which are not yet in SmoothDoom but will soon be part of a long-term effort to remaster a lot of the animations in the mod. You can view them in this test wad -- particularly, the Zombiemen's frontal walk cycle has been TOTALLY redone from the ground up to include twice as many frames. The imp is going to be the next monster to get some improvements. Black gloves will also hopefully be returning to the mod soon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UjVR ... sp=sharing
Nice! :P
lwks

Post by lwks »

When the last version of this mod came up with the Specter Bug fix it had SERIOUS performance issues, is it still the case?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

A lot of people reported framerate loss when there were large amounts of gore onscreen, but there have been multiple ways to disable gore effects for a while now.
lwks

Post by lwks »

RIght, but where's the fun in that? Thankfully I still have the old version with the Spectre bug fix so I'm good for now. Just out of curiosity, any guesses for when is the new version comming out?
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Hey, didn't there used to be a "monsters only" version of this mod? Which could then be used for seamless integration with mods like Trailblazer and the like. Anybody know where to find that? I'm about to start my first playthrough of Plutonia - but playing Plutonia without Final Doomer + seems like an absolute chore - HENCE, I would need the awesomeness that is the Monsters Only mod, to combine with other mods, to make Plutonia bearable for play.
Gifty wrote:
DoomN00b wrote:YO! Gifty, if I give you and your contributors FULL credit, may I use your work in this mod as the base for a custom-enemy I'm working on? = )

The enemy in question I want to use, is the Revenant.

Let me know!
For sure, if you credit me for the revenant you can totally use it! :D
AWESOME!! : D Cheers mate - I'll be sure to include you!
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

DoomN00b wrote:Hey, didn't there used to be a "monsters only" version of this mod?
It has been discontinued quite some time ago in favour of a more modular design. It is still possible, and very easy, to combine other weapon mods with Smooth Doom monsters. Open SmoothDoom.pk3 in Slade (or any archiver of your choice, for that matter), open DECORATE lump, then comment, or simply delete, unwanted files from the list. There are instructions inside the DECORATE lump that'll help you.
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

AL-97 wrote:
DoomN00b wrote:Hey, didn't there used to be a "monsters only" version of this mod?
It has been discontinued quite some time ago in favour of a more modular design. It is still possible, and very easy, to combine other weapon mods with Smooth Doom monsters. Open SmoothDoom.pk3 in Slade (or any archiver of your choice, for that matter), open DECORATE lump, then comment, or simply delete, unwanted files from the list. There are instructions inside the DECORATE lump that'll help you.
Oh yeah, I see what you mean now... Detailed in the first post and everything! 0_o

Cheers for the reminder - I'm doing it as we speak!
nowheredan

Post by nowheredan »

Anyone else getting a MAJOR fps drop (single digits in fact) in that level in Doom 2 where a Spider Mastermind gets squished by a trash compactor-like thing?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

nowheredan wrote:Anyone else getting a MAJOR fps drop (single digits in fact) in that level in Doom 2 where a Spider Mastermind gets squished by a trash compactor-like thing?
I've tracked down the source of this particular issue; with the current gore physics, blood spawned from the Mastermind accidentally gets caught within its huge actor radius and cannot fall to the floor as normal, because it's colliding with the spider. So when the spider is being crushed and spawning huge amounts of blood, all that blood is getting caught in a state of suspended physics which ties up the CPU quite a bit. The blood actor is supposed to pass through other actors, but for some reason it's still colliding with the spider and I can't figure out why.
KayeFaye

Post by KayeFaye »

Does this only work in GZDoom? I want to play it with ZDoom but it never works. I get this error:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "SmoothDoom.pk3:deco/monsters/zombieman.txt" line 89:
Expected string constant but got '+' instead.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Yes, ZDoom was discontinued a couple of years ago and is no longer supported - it'll work under GZDoom.
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

Noticed that when you have the 'Doom64-style Items' option turned on, big cell pack has the same sprite as the plasma rifle.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”