"Map loading" branch?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

"Map loading" branch?

Post by Major Cooke »

This has me curious. Is this for the ability to run multiple GZDoom executables at once?

I admit, some naive part of my brain squealed in delight thinking it had something to do with being able to see in-game buildable levels at runtime such as creating new sectors out of the blue, but... I don't think that's quite a doable thing... yet.

So if it's neither of those, what is it?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: "Map loading" branch?

Post by Rachael »

To be honest, I don't really know what he's doing there, but my guess is he might be trying to decouple the Hexen hub state from the save game system. A lot could potentially happen if that's the case.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Oh? I'd love to hear more about potential things that could happen.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I saw something about this previously. To my understanding he's just wanting to clean up the level loader code. No big modding features or anything.

8-)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The entire point is that I was completely unable to test the section code without actually setting up the levels for playing. That cost endless time and I only was able to do a small sample. I want to get the level loader into a state where I just can load a level into some structure and run tests on the data without entering the game. With that I could have done my section tests in a few minutes than two days.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

So, I don't think this is going to be merged, I was able to use it for what I needed (by disabling large parts of the map setup that were irrelevant for the task at hand), but overall it is nearly impossible to refactor the engine so that the global level struct can be refactored into something more flexible. But without that it makes no sense to go on with this round of refactoring, ultimately all it provides is splitting up the files that make up the map setup code.

So I'm just going to leave it in case I need it again.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Actually... if we could have access to info on other maps from any map within zscript this could help with some things, such as getting the full name and stats of the next/secret map and whatnot.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yeah, but sadly major parts of the engine run under the assumption that there is only one map and not multiple ones. That's why I discontinued this branch.

Return to “General”