Question about Freedoom/GZDoom source port in Android store

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Question about Freedoom/GZDoom source port in Android store

Post by Guest »

So I have the Freedoom app from the Google Play Store, which is basically the Gzdoom source port that requires the use of the built-in Freedoom wads (I don't wanna use money on Delta-Touch). When it is installed on my Android device, it automatically sets ups directories I can put my .wad (usually maps) files and .pk3 (mods) files. My question is- can the mod directory run .zip files? I specifically ask this because I felt like playing the D4D (Doom 4 for Doom) mod that I have, and I can't get the D4D.pk3 file running, despite me having the D4DResources.pk3 file as well. I can't get it running on my phone, and I can't even get it running on Windows 10 with ZDL. I can, however, use the Doom4ForDoom_master.zip (or whatever the full name is) file when I run it through ZDL on Windows 10. I tried doing the same on my phone through Freedoom, but it doesn't show up as a selectable file. Does it not support .zip mods? Do I have to fiddle with the directory? Did I accidentally unzip the file? I can get other .pk3 mods working, like Brutal Doom and the Doom4WeaponsforBDv20.pk3 mod add-on (there is a big difference between D4D and Doom4WeaponsforBDv20), so I don't know how both the D4d.pk3 file nor the Doom4ForDoom_master.zip file doesn't work.
Tartlman

Re: Question about Freedoom/GZDoom source port in Android st

Post by Tartlman »

I don't know if this is the right answer, but at least I think it is:

.zip files can be run by zdl and the like, but only if they contain nothing but the mod itself. Mods containing a readme.txt or something like that will probably not run. This is what i've seen personally from playing doom.
I hope this helps.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Tartlman wrote:I don't know if this is the right answer, but at least I think it is:

.zip files can be run by zdl and the like, but only if they contain nothing but the mod itself. Mods containing a readme.txt or something like that will probably not run. This is what i've seen personally from playing doom.
I hope this helps.
Incorrect, unfortunately. The presence of text files has nothing to do with why a mod won't work. If you're downloading from Github, though, that can do it, because they love packaging zip files so that they contain one more folder level than they need. GZDoom is quite particular with how folder structures are set up, otherwise it has no idea where to find things inside.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

That and some Doom mods that use Git don't have the mod data in the root directory anyway, such as with Lithium and Demonsteele. For those I symlink the directory as a sensible name into the directory that mods are searched for. GZDoom can deal with directories as well as .pk3 conveniently.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, what I mean with Github is that when you tell it to "download zip", it tends to give you a zip file containing a folder called [reponame]_master, which contains the actual contents of the repository inside it. Since GZDoom doesn't know to look inside that folder, all it sees is that there's nothing else inside it, and nothing gets loaded.

The solution would be to extract the zip file somewhere and either load that folder with -file (or your launcher of choice, or however the Freedoom app handles it), or use a zip program to pack it all back into a zip file from within the folder. If you're using Android, I would suggest an app like ZArchiver to do this.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

wildweasel wrote:Since GZDoom doesn't know to look inside that folder, all it sees is that there's nothing else inside it, and nothing gets loaded.
GZDoom does know to look inside that folder.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Huh. If this app is failing to do that, then how old is the GZDoom version it's based on? Does OP have a link to the app?
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Oh that's neat, but sadly it'll only work for some mods. If the mod is subdirectoried (like with Lithium where the game is under pk7) then it won't work downloaded in this fashion, and you can't download subdirectories on Github, just individual files. Realistically though, you're better off downloading from an official release, or using Git properly especially if the mod might be under development and need to checkout an older version.
VictoryKidd

Re: Question about Freedoom/GZDoom source port in Android store

Post by VictoryKidd »

So how do pk3 and was files get modded into freedoom2?
wildweasel

Re: Question about Freedoom/GZDoom source port in Android store

Post by wildweasel »

VictoryKidd wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:58 pm So how do pk3 and was files get modded into freedoom2?
I'd imagine the same way they do into official Doom 2, but without knowing more about what you are wanting to do (and on what platform), I can't really help more than that.

Return to “General”