Total Chaos 1.0 Released! -- Retro Edition now available!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

Re: Total Chaos - Hotfix 0.97.1 Available!

Post by ZikShadow »

Glad that you didn't catch too much issues with FPS, unfortunately I'm on the other side of the boat.

Michael65

Post by Michael65 »

Wad'a'Holic wrote: Thank you 8-)
I've seen this happen on a few streams. Which version of GZDoom are you running?
I'm pretty sure I was running on 3.3.0. Updating to 3.6.0 instantly solved the problem, thanks!
Master O

Post by Master O »

Wad'a'Holic wrote:

Download Total Chaos at ModDB (Standalone version)
Comes bundled with GZDoom and Freedoom (no doom2.wad required!)
Alternative Link: Standard download, PK3 files only

Total Chaos is a total conversion mod for Doom 2 that runs on the GZDoom source port.
The mod is a survival horror set on a remote island known as Fort Oasis. The island was once run by a community of coal miners which one day suddenly disappeared, leaving behind the abandoned concrete jungle to waste away. Something, clearly, has gone very wrong with this place. Upon your arrival at Fort Oasis, you receive a strange radio transmission. Someone wants to he found. The further you travel into the concrete jungle, the more the situation ends up unraveling, and where you were heading is no longer clear. Find letters scattered around the world and uncover the mystery of what happened.
Spoiler: Install Instructions
You may also want to add to your instructions the following command so that people can create a desktop shortcut for Total Chaos:

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file totalchaos.pk3 +set gl_precache 1

Adjust the -iwad and -file commands accordingly to the location of wherever you have the Doom 2 wad and totalchaos.pk3 files respectively.

Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

ZikShadow wrote:Still some remnants of magic in the inventory systems of the hotfix. Picking up some dropped items results in their duplication. Had this happen to the lighter fluid, tried it out on the molotov and it indeed grew another. Not as insane as the ten million gallons of concrete and explosives sorcery, but still sorcery.
Oh my. The bug that keeps on giving (literally).
Cheers for the heads up, will patch it out in the upcoming update.
pagb666 wrote:Well, now that I've played through the whole thing... Superb job! I had one hell of a ride (except for the constant inventory management thing). Much better than most AAA crap. The Cacowards this year just get harder and harder to choose. Also very satisfied that you cared about the framerate, other mods just don't give a shit if they go down to 20fps.

Special mention for the sound design, it's creepy, uneasy and fits like a glove. I love it.
Spoiler:
I think I ran onto a glitch or triggered one unintentially, because by the end of the game I had like 12 dynamite sticks... And I can only recall picking like 3 or so.

EDIT:
ZikShadow wrote:Still some remnants of magic in the inventory systems of the hotfix. Picking up some dropped items results in their duplication. Had this happen to the lighter fluid, tried it out on the molotov and it indeed grew another. Not as insane as the ten million gallons of concrete and explosives sorcery, but still sorcery
Ok, it was that xD
Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed it!
ZikShadow wrote:Glad that you didn't catch too much issues with FPS, unfortunately I'm on the other side of the boat.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

What are your specs?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

I suppose they are a little bit outdated. I didn't have too much problem indoors, the occasional stutters here and there, but I'm used to it playing STALKER. Outdoors however is a completely different story, pretty much a strictly firearms use when in combat since I can't rely on my usual tactics with the frame drops.
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

I just finished this wad today, and I can honestly say that this is perhaps the single best Doom modification that I have ever played. The visuals, the engrossing story, the recurring symbolism, the soundscapes, and the game's ability to create and maintain a sense of dread and hopelessness in the player is first-rate. Wad'a'Holic, I do hope you continue to make games and create art in general, no matter the format. You have a gift.

I found that the wad not only takes inspiration from obvious sources like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, but also from not-so-obvious sources like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which I loved because I'm a huge fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

I have no suggestions for improvement for this project in terms of graphics, gameplay, sound, story, etc., nor would I be qualified to make such suggestions. The only bits that I can offer are some suggestions for correcting some minor spelling and grammatical errors. I have listed them below.

1. The word "receive" is spelled wrong in a few in-game texts and letters.
2. The word "explanation" is spelled wrong in the letter from Tyler to Leda.
3. In the letter from Tyler to Leda, the word "been" is spelled as "being".
4. The last sentence of the Fort Oasis outside report letter should read, "The whereabouts of the citizenry of Fort Oasis is now largely unknown."
5. The word "notable" is spelled wrong once in the Fort Oasis outside report letter.
6. The word "approached" is spelled wrong in the letter about the distress call and rescue attempt.
7. The word "positive" is spelled wrong in one of the letters from the therapist.
8. The word "unbearable" is spelled wrong in the letter from Tyler to Doctor Thomas.

A final question. Do you have a Paypal or Patreon, or some way to donate to you? I would like to make a contribution. Thanks again for this incredible mod!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Well, I took tc_core3 and 25%-ed the NORMALs and SPECULARs, finally got everything smoother. Not exactly perfect, but feels at home with my STALKER stutter tolerance.
Last edited by ZikShadow on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Stormwalker wrote:I just finished this wad today, and I can honestly say that this is perhaps the single best Doom modification that I have ever played. The visuals, the engrossing story, the recurring symbolism, the soundscapes, and the game's ability to create and maintain a sense of dread and hopelessness in the player is first-rate. Wad'a'Holic, I do hope you continue to make games and create art in general, no matter the format. You have a gift.

I found that the wad not only takes inspiration from obvious sources like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, but also from not-so-obvious sources like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which I loved because I'm a huge fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

I have no suggestions for improvement for this project in terms of graphics, gameplay, sound, story, etc., nor would I be qualified to make such suggestions. The only bits that I can offer are some suggestions for correcting some minor spelling and grammatical errors. I have listed them below.

1. The word "receive" is spelled wrong in a few in-game texts and letters.
2. The word "explanation" is spelled wrong in the letter from Tyler to Leda.
3. In the letter from Tyler to Leda, the word "been" is spelled as "being".
4. The last sentence of the Fort Oasis outside report letter should read, "The whereabouts of the citizenry of Fort Oasis is now largely unknown."
5. The word "notable" is spelled wrong once in the Fort Oasis outside report letter.
6. The word "approached" is spelled wrong in the letter about the distress call and rescue attempt.
7. The word "positive" is spelled wrong in one of the letters from the therapist.
8. The word "unbearable" is spelled wrong in the letter from Tyler to Doctor Thomas.

A final question. Do you have a Paypal or Patreon, or some way to donate to you? I would like to make a contribution. Thanks again for this incredible mod!
Thanks for playing and seeing it through to the end. Glad you enjoyed it :) I'll fix up those spelling mistakes and roll them out with the next update, cheers for finding them!

Havent really got anything set up donation wise. Been considering a Patreon account of some sort, but we will see. Having the mod even played is enough to make me happy 8-)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I still think you should put the standalone build on Steam. It's certainly worth a $5-10 price point at very least. Can even make it cross-platform because GZDoom has Linux and MacOS executables. No joke, I will be your first sale just on principle.

By the way, for standalone builds you should explicitly call out the config file when launching. On Linux, for example, I think GZDoom will default to using the user's config in ~/.config/gzdoom/gzdoom.ini.

8-)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Caligari87 wrote:I still think you should put the standalone build on Steam. It's certainly worth a $5-10 price point at very least. No joke, I will be your first sale just on principle.
Actually I'd be careful here. As good as it looks, this mod really brings out the worst in GZDoom's memory management. I've had nothing but trouble with that aspect. It constantly turns into a slideshow and occasionally crashes on out of memory conditions - on an 8 GB system!
If you try to sell this to unsuspecting customers the complaints will be inevitable and may cause the mod to be pulled by Steam.

At the very least it'd need a low memory option to be on the safe side.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

There's a reason Steam has minimum recommended requirements right on the store page for each game. I can't remember ever hearing about Steam pulling games for bad performance (at least not in recent memory). Plus I don't imagine this would be marketed as a "Doom Mod" so it's not like there'd be any false or misleading expectations set up.

8-)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The main problem is large uncompressed textures indeed. While other games use various compression algorithms to reduce memory requirement in at least 4x and to improve loading speed as well, GZDoom spends time on processing PNGs and copying RGBA textures into video memory making things even worse.
The origin of Doom with software only renderer (and evolution of ZDoom too) has its price.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's not just the evolution from software rendering. One always important question is whether to make something editing friendly or making it efficient. Often these two aspects are completely at odds with each other, especially when the amount of data increases.

For mods with graphics like this the entire resource management isn't really good. What this needs is memory mapped files with raw data that can be piped through to the hardware unaltered without ever reading it into a buffer and changing it around. And of course it needs to be precompressed into a format the hardware can natively handle.
Last but not least, it also needs some texture eviction logic to gracefully deal with out of memory situations. Unfortunately here even OpenGL is a barrier because it has no reliable facilities to report such data and silently starts moving video data out to regular RAM, which in the end makes things only worse because not only the video memory fills up but also system memory.

But let's be honest here: This is completely outside GZDoom's scope, unless some interested person steps in and makes a PR for it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Caligari87 wrote:There's a reason Steam has minimum recommended requirements right on the store page for each game. I can't remember ever hearing about Steam pulling games for bad performance (at least not in recent memory). Plus I don't imagine this would be marketed as a "Doom Mod" so it's not like there'd be any false or misleading expectations set up.

8-)
Let's make one thing clear: I am not talking about some underpowered system. I am talking about a 3.4 GHz Core i7 Quad Core CPU with 8 GB of system RAM and a Geforce 1060 with 3 GB of video RAM. If that doesn't meet the minimum requirements I don't think there's much left. Most computers out there are a lot weaker than mine.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

And that's fair, but there's no reason wadaholic couldn't list the minimums as a 3.5GHz quadcore with 12GB RAM and a GTX1070Ti, or whatever. The point is that people on underpowered PCs have no reason to complain about being misled if the minimums are clearly stated up-front.

8-)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”