(WIP) Super Mario Vastidity - (TC)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StalkerBlade

(WIP) Super Mario Vastidity - (TC)

Post by StalkerBlade »

"What is this?"
Super Mario Vastidity is an in-development total conversion fan mod that aims to recreate the gameplay of the 3D Mario games in the Doom engine.

"When will it be finished?"
Currently, it's gotten pretty far. It's still unfinished, but it's pretty close to being an actual game.

If you've ever wanted to play a Doom mod that feels absolutely nothing like Doom, than you've come to the right place. Inspired by Super Mario 64 and
Super Mario Odyssey, you'll find yourself running, jumping, and swimming on your journey to collect all of the Power Stars. Featuring large maps with
a lot of attention to detail and plenty of space for you to explore. Accuracy is very important for this mod; All of the mechanics are carefully made to
feel as close to the real thing as it could get, with the exception of a few minor limitations. 2D sections(wip) will also make an appearance through out the game.

(example screenshots):
Last edited by StalkerBlade on Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tormentor667

Re: 3D Super Mario TC - How to Get Sued in 5 Minutes

Post by Tormentor667 »

Looks promising :)
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Heheh... Reminds me of a mod I am currently working on (though it's kind of on hold right now)

Shame I can't play it though. I'm curious if it had things like the Triple Jump and whatnot.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Looking good.
Quick tip, if you don't want to get C&D from Nintendo, don't post anything about your project at all...
Release it quietly when it's done.
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

HOL UP, nintendo is just gonna sue the entire website, which also means golden souls will be fucking shitted out, worse the website is gone FOREVER.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Gorman Frebmane wrote:HOL UP, nintendo is just gonna sue the entire website, which also means golden souls will be fucking shitted out, worse the website is gone FOREVER.
While I can appreciate that you want to warn OP about it, the post above yours more or less says the same thing in a much, much less vulgar way.
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

This kind of thing makes me wonder... Would it be OK for a project like this to replace everything with stuff that isn't recognizably Mario while keeping the gameplay mechanics?
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

Talon1024 wrote:This kind of thing makes me wonder... Would it be OK for a project like this to replace everything with stuff that isn't recognizably Mario while keeping the gameplay mechanics?
I'm actually working on a more original mod that uses a lot of features from this one. It's gameplay style will be a mix of Mario 64, F-Zero and vanilla Doom.
I would almost be done with it by now, but I lack a lot of custom graphics, time and the advanced coding knowledge I need to perfect it...I'm still a bit of a noob when coding things. :oops: I am pretty far into it though; There's even a couple of weapons that are finished. :)
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

This looks very good! I like how it sorta looks like Mario 64. The M&L sprites work like a charm!
Gorman Frebmane wrote:HOL UP, nintendo is just gonna sue the entire website, which also means golden souls will be fucking shitted out, worse the website is gone FOREVER.
Won't happen, because Golden Souls is Mario inspired, not a straight up Mario Game. And i honestly don't think it will happen to this project either. There are plenty of Mario projects up online including pretty popular stuff such as Super Mario Flashback. Not to mention, taking down a whole website is very unlikely.
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Batandy wrote:This looks very good! I like how it sorta looks like Mario 64. The M&L sprites work like a charm!
Won't happen, because Golden Souls is Mario inspired, not a straight up Mario Game. And i honestly don't think it will happen to this project either. There are plenty of Mario projects up online including pretty popular stuff such as Super Mario Flashback. Not to mention, taking down a whole website is very unlikely.
Still im worried because nintendo is unpredictable in this type of stuff.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I wouldn’t worry. They didn’t go after that Metroid 2 remake for years until they decided they wanted to make their own.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

At worst you will receive a cease and desist for this mod specifically, Nintendo doesn't have the authority to take any further legal action than that.
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

Update:

Dynamic jumping has now been implemented. It was easier done than said, shockingly...It only took a little over an hour to get it working, which is good. Definitely improves the gameplay now that you can control how high you're able to jump. The last thing I would love to add in to this before I move on from it is an "orbit" camera like in the actual games...I attempted this multiple times, but they never seemed to work out. I imagine It would be super hacky to make it work though.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

StalkerBlade wrote:Update:

Dynamic jumping has now been implemented. It was easier done than said, shockingly...It only took a little over an hour to get it working, which is good. Definitely improves the gameplay now that you can control how high you're able to jump. The last thing I would love to add in to this before I move on from it is an "orbit" camera like in the actual games...I attempted this multiple times, but they never seemed to work out. I imagine It would be super hacky to make it work though.
You could try checking how La Tailor Girl does it, there's a nice orbit camera there
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

Batandy wrote:
You could try checking how La Tailor Girl does it, there's a nice orbit camera there
It's all in zscript, and based on what the notes say with in it, it's a bit unfinished...That's ok though, ZombieKiller made a mod that's exactly what I needed; I just need to fix how the movement works. It currently eliminates acceleration momentum from using SetActorVelocity, but I think I can work around this if I spend some time toying with it. This camera will the icing on the cake if I can make it work. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”