UAC Invasion: The Supply Depot

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DooMknight

UAC Invasion: The Supply Depot

Post by DooMknight »

This is a map that I started there in 2007, I was going to present it to a vanilla map tournament that year. The idea was to make a sequel to an old map of mine called Europe, but it ended up being so big and complex that I reached the limit of 65536 linedefs and I had to discard it for the tournament.
So in the end I left it parked and continued with other projects, until last year that I took it back and since then I have been working on it when time allowed. I eliminated the city part, since in 2013 I made a big city-type map called Vanilla Sky and didn't want to repeat the same formula...

At last this summer I had enough time to finish it. It has about 1000 enemies, many secrets and it takes about an hour and a half to finish it, although I have added auto-save points in the key places.

Although I added some new enemies and objects (minibosses and decoration), I tried to make sure they do not clash with the atmosphere of the map and most important, they don't give problems when playing with gameplay mods such as Brutal DooM, D4D or Beautiful DooM. I even recommend the experience of playing it with this kind of mods, with Brutal DooM this map will delight those looking for a real butcher shop.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed doing it!

Story
The map is about a marine who must infiltrate a UAC Corporation large base because there are indications that dangerous secret experiments related to portals and Satanism are taking place.
The protagonist is hidden in a truck of the UAC that goes to the complex getting to enter without major problems. But once inside the facilities he realizes that something terrible has happened there, it seems that he is not the only unexpected visitor...

Information
  • Game: DOOM2
  • Recommended SP: GZDoom
  • Map: MAP01
  • Single Player: Designed for
  • Cooperative: Supported
  • Deathmatch: No
  • Other game styles: None
  • Difficulty Settings: Yes
  • Jumping: Allowed but not necessary
  • Crouching: Deactivated
Credits
  • Objects and decoration: NerdKoopa, CaptainToenail, Necrodome, Blox, Tormentor667, Gothic
  • Enemies: Tormentor667, Captain Toenail, Nanami, Ghastly_dragon, Keksdose, Herculine,Ben2k9/Virtue, Eriance, RAVEN Software
  • Textures: FuzzballFox, Enjay, EarthQuake, CaptainToenail, amv2k9, Cage, Zero X. Diamond, demo_the_man, MartinHowe, Nick Baker
  • Titlepic artwork: Espen Grundetjern
  • Music: Andrew G. Sega, Markus Merilainen, Patrick Phelan
  • Beta Testing: Degree23, Demonologist, NovaRain, elend, Phobus, HAK3180, AK-001, StormCatcher.77
  • Special thanks to my wife for her support and help these years while I was creating the map. And finally this map is dedicated to my 4 month old son.
Screenshots

Gameplay videos
Spoiler:
Download
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IwkDT ... CNkm10nrSQ (always up to date)
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... u/supplydp (/idgames official)
Last edited by DooMknight on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
popguy12

Re: UAC Invasion: The Supply Depot

Post by popguy12 »

This map looks insane. I havent played it yet but i will download it and play it when i can. from the screenshots i feel like this is something that would belong in extermination day or maybe even the project brutality campaign thats in the works. Great job!
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I'm tempted to play this with Guncaster, but alas, since Guncaster replaces enemies with "lookalikes"...
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

Oh hey also, you think you could maybe make this into some big collection of maps like this? cause the name "UAC Invasion" kinda makes me feel like it continues!
LOZ_98
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by LOZ_98 »

This looks like a Really good level, I'd like to try this but I want to ask are we allowed to jump and crouch for this? I don't want to cheat my way through it and I didn't find any info about it in the included .txt file or the original post.

EDIT: I ended up playing the level anyway, It's a huge and hyper detailed level i'm 20 minutes in and still haven't finished it, so far most of the battles seem balanced and fair, except for the huge outdoor area filled with hitscanners and not a lot of cover, can't quite give my final thoughts on it yet but so far it doesn't seem like you need jumping or crouching at all.
DooMknight

Post by DooMknight »

popguy12 wrote:This map looks insane. I havent played it yet but i will download it and play it when i can. from the screenshots i feel like this is something that would belong in extermination day or maybe even the project brutality campaign thats in the works. Great job!
First, thank you for playing it, you will surely have a good time with this map. The idea is that it is fun to play it in vanilla as with gameplay mods like project brutality, d4d, beautiful doom, etc.
AvzinElkein wrote:I'm tempted to play this with Guncaster, but alas, since Guncaster replaces enemies with "lookalikes"...
It's quite strange that it hasn't worked, I could play the map with this mod without any problem in GZDoom 3.5+
popguy12 wrote:Oh hey also, you think you could maybe make this into some big collection of maps like this? cause the name "UAC Invasion" kinda makes me feel like it continues!
At first I didn't plan to do a map series, but I like to open the doombuilder and "create" from time to time. So it is possible that one day I will start with the sequel, but in the short term (9 months) I will not be able to work on it.
At least for now I leave you a pretty big map, with a lot of exploration ahead and 22 secrets to discover. I hope this makes players have a good time
LOZ_98 wrote:This looks like a Really good level, I'd like to try this but I want to ask are we allowed to jump and crouch for this? I don't want to cheat my way through it and I didn't find any info about it in the included .txt file or the original post.
Yes, you can jump (although it is not necessary to access anywhere). Crouching are deactivated intentionally. I forgot to mention this in the txt...
LOZ_98 wrote:EDIT: I ended up playing the level anyway, It's a huge and hyper detailed level i'm 20 minutes in and still haven't finished it, so far most of the battles seem balanced and fair, except for the huge outdoor area filled with hitscanners and not a lot of cover, can't quite give my final thoughts on it yet but so far it doesn't seem like you need jumping or crouching at all.
Thank you very much for trying it! It's true that the difficulty in that outdoor area is somewhat high, especially at the beginning when you arrive, but if you advance you will see that there is enough coverage and health to succeed. That is the only area in which the player can be overwhelmed, but there is a lot of room to move and create infight.
I hope you like it and I'm waiting for you to finish it to tell me what you think!
NGX

Post by NGX »

I had a lot of fun with this. I played it actually some weeks ago. It was the first time in years that I had used save games :lol: The size and level of detail is remarkable, it took well over an hour to complete but the map was continually interesting to explore as each section had its own boundary and identity :)
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

This was an excellent map. It had just the right amount of detail, the gameplay was well-paced without being too sluggish or being too crazy (my first playthrough was on HMP, and aside from the very end, I never died, but had a few moments where I was ready to worry), and the layout was well-connected. It was really nice being able to quickly revisit areas due to new passageways opening up.

One bit of feedback, and I wish I could remember where it was more precisely (it's later in the map):
Spoiler:
Again, phenomenal work. I enjoyed every second.
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

You know what i just thought of? Not sure if you did this time around but you should definitely submit this into Joels mapping contest. the second one closed off entries a while back and as far as i know he is still going over the maps. But if he does a 3rd one you should definetly submit it!
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Just finished this today. The red and blue keys were easier to get since the levels were mostly linear which eliminates the frustration of remembering which door to go. I like maps like these.
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

okay, this is unplayable with Project Brutality and Hideous destructor solely because of the lag :(
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

So... play it without mods. It's a good map and worth playing. Not everything needs to run with mods. :P
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I agree with Enjay. Mods can ruin your gameplay one way or another.
Play the maps as intended folks.
JohnSuitepee

Post by JohnSuitepee »

This looks like something I'd be interested in playing. (despite the somewhat generic name) I'll check it out sometime.
JohnSuitepee

Post by JohnSuitepee »

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/332169014

Here is my playthrough of the wad. A pretty fun adventure overall, although I stupidly spent ages looking for the yellow key after the Deathknight fight. Also, the exploding cars in the finale was cool!

Return to “Levels”