DSparil's Revenge 1.4

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

DSparil's Revenge 1.4

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

I HAVE MOVED AND THIS PAGE HAS BEEN ARCHIVED!
THIS PAGE WILL NO LONGER HOST UP-TO-DATE CONTENT FOR GUNCASTER VINDICATED!!!

For the current working version of Guncaster Vindicated and all related content, please see the forums post located on Doomworld, or find us on the GCV Discord Server!

The place you've arrived this time seems strangely familiar. Deja'vu?
Wait... This is D'Sparil's world again, how can you be back here?
Didn't you already kick D'Sparil to the curb once before? Why are all these monsters back?
Could he have come back somehow as well? This can't be!... can it?

Could you have the chance... to kick wazard ass a second time?!! HELL YES!!!

Download the Awesomeness here!
Requires "The Guncaster" to play!

Welcome fellow Guncaster fans to the DSparil's Revenge Guncaster Mutator! This mod is an addon for The Guncaster that adds brand new monsters for Heretic as well as changing up all the old monsters to make them faster, meaner, and more exciting than ever before!
In this new challenge you'll face:
-the familiar monsters from heretic with a new spin on their behavior, agression, and abilities.
-brand new monsters with their own special behaviors and abilities.
-New Epic boss battles that I hope will test your skill and give you the feeling of being a true kick-ass hero!

This mod also features an awesome sound track for heretic produced by Xeotroid! You can find his full list of music: here

I'll be adding a full list of monsters and their behavior in the future! for now, get out there and show D'Sparil one more time, just how much dragons hate wazards!

FAQ:

Q: How do I make this work?!?
A: You can watch the video below for a basic rundown of how to use DOOM mods. If you're having trouble getting this mutator to work, just copy all the files in the folder you download from the above download link into the folder where you keep all your GZDoom mods, then double click the Heretic.bat file, it should run guncaster with this mutator if both are in the same folder.
You will also need Guncaster.pk3 to make this work, you can download it here: The Guncaster
Spoiler:
Q: Does this work with Guncaster Vindicated?
A: Guncaster Vindicated already has these monsters included, DO NOT LOAD THIS MUTATOR WITH GUNCASTER VINDICATED!!! It will cause errors and isn't needed to experience the same monsters and bosses!!!

Detailed credits are included in the .pk3

Like what I'm doing? Want to support me? You can throw your money at me here if you really feel like it.
Last edited by Dinosaur_Nerd on Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Valherran

Re: DSparil's Revenge [Release]

Post by Valherran »

Nice to see Heretic get some love, gonna check this out.
przemko27

Post by przemko27 »

Could you make it independent from Guncaster?
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:
Could you have the chance... to kick wizard ass a second time?!! HELL YES!!!

I'll be adding a full list of monsters and their behavior in the future! for now, get out there and show D'Sparil one more time, just how much dragons hate wizards!
Can't help but notice two typos in the description, should be wazard not wizard.

Because poor literacy is for dragons. :)

On a more serious note, what does this have specifically that Vindicated doesn't?
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Valherran wrote:Nice to see Heretic get some love, gonna check this out.
awesome! I look forward to your feedback. I kinda feel like these monsters will need a good re-balance as Guncaster Official is much more focused on OP craziness rather than difficulty, and some enemies might take a few too many shots (mainly because the Longhorn and pulverizer are much weaker in GC official than they are in Vindicated.), so don't be shy to share your thoughts.
przemko27 wrote:Could you make it independent from Guncaster?
Sorry, for several reasons I can't.

some simple ones:
- It would be a LOT of work... and is a slippery slope. Porting this so that it would work cleanly from GC Vindicated to GC Official was tedious enough.
- Due to a post I made on the GC Official thread, it would be a conflict of interest at this point. I'm not interested in starting trouble with the mods or anyone else.
- I don't have any desire to do so. Right now my passion is in developing content for Pillowblaster's Guncaster and my Spin-off mod GC Vindicated. I hope you'll enjoy the ride with me!

If GC Official just doensn't provide the challenge you're looking for, give GC Vindicated a shot, it's a serious challenge, and includes these monsters as well.
Crimsondrgn wrote:Can't help but notice two typos in the description, should be wazard not wizard.

Because poor literacy is for dragons. :)
Fixed, and I don't think it's poor literacy, I think it's deliberate disregard.
Crimsondrgn wrote:On a more serious note, what does this have specifically that Vindicator doesn't?
Guncaster Vindicated technically has a little more to it than this does. Primarily in the form of death code for the monsters that interacts with the special Draugh Suit behavior from Vindicated. Other than that, they're pretty much the same. Other differences are purely semantic, such as different names for the damage types of the bullets fired by Augur and Ironblast, as well as adjustments to bosses so that these weapons will do appropriate damage (such as the +NORADIUSDMG flag that must be removed for the augur and matriarch to be effective in GC Official).

There's a lot of tedious code work that was required to make sure everything necessary is included in this mod for GC Official to play nicely with it, but as far as gameplay goes, all the monsters should be there and progress identically in both mods.

Basically just pick your gameplay style:
Want crazy explosive cathartic overpowered slaughterfest? - Play this mutator with GC Official.
Want arcade style cerebral and reflexive skill challenge? - Play Guncaster Vindicated with heretic.

EDIT:

I have added a VERY minor patch fix to the mod that improves the behavior of the final boss and warns the player about a critical mechanic to defeat him.
This patch also fixes the menu and logo to look correct, during development I was using a custom resolution, it should be fixed now.
Valherran

Re: DSparil's Revenge 1.1

Post by Valherran »

Alright so I finished it, here's my feedback. The enemies initially have a lot of HP, but it kind of balances out towards the end when you get more powerful. However weapons like Longhorn and Pulverizer are nearly useless in the later half of the game cus of the lack of damage output. The bosses were way too easy, they will need to be overhauled to match the power of the player. And like Vindicated the mobs eventually became pests rather than a threat, so a mini-boss tier is also in order here. The Iron Liches and the Minotaurs were also super weak and posed no threat whatsoever. The ammo drops were way too plentiful, I was always maxed out before the end of every level with 40% to spare lying around for all weapons. Half way through the 3rd episode I was able to maintain the constant use of the Auger due to the enemies dropping full clips. I have a list of things to adrress that we will go over down below.

1. Draugh Suit - I could not absorb the shadow to wear it. If the hotkey was there it may have helped.

2. Power Suit - Did not find it through my entire playthrough, was probably unlucky. In other words I did my entire run suitless.

3. Ammo - As said before the ammo drops were too plentiful. Maybe remove the chance that large mags can drop from enemies? That would be a start.

4. Chests - Chests only seemed to drop from Minotaurs, after a buff to the Iron Lich, they should also drop chests.

5. Longhorn - This weapon would be useful if the strat was replaced by a ROF passive.

6. Pulverizer - Similar to the longhorn, replace the strat with exploding bullets, then it would be useful again.

7. Weapon Strats - They were dropping with the weapons they are attached to, intentional?

8. Progression - The game permanently ends after each boss level, intentional?

9. Tiberium Bombs - They don't seem to drop, never found a single one.

That's all for now.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Valherran wrote:Alright so I finished it, here's my feedback. The enemies initially have a lot of HP, but it kind of balances out towards the end when you get more powerful. However weapons like Longhorn and Pulverizer are nearly useless in the later half of the game cus of the lack of damage output. The bosses were way too easy, they will need to be overhauled to match the power of the player. And like Vindicated the mobs eventually became pests rather than a threat, so a mini-boss tier is also in order here. The Iron Liches and the Minotaurs were also super weak and posed no threat whatsoever. The ammo drops were way too plentiful, I was always maxed out before the end of every level with 40% to spare lying around for all weapons. Half way through the 3rd episode I was able to maintain the constant use of the Auger due to the enemies dropping full clips. I have a list of things to adrress that we will go over down below.
Just to kinda sum this up, although this may not be a satisfying answer for you.
Guncaster Official is supposed to feel totally overpowered, that's the name of the game. Completely wrecking enemies is kinda the point of it. If you feel it's too easy, give your feedback in the Guncaster Official thread, this monster pack aims to preserve the feel of Guncaster Official and I really shouldn't modify the weapons, or player.

If you need more of a challenge, you can still play against these monsters with Vindicated, but you must not use the mutator. Just load Vindicated with Heretic and the same monsters will be active by default. Since you've played the original heretic already, you might want to give Vindicated a go with one of the other heretic megawads that exist, such as Master of Chaos. Give it a go and be sure to use the special Patch that is included with the current most up to date version of vindicated or this mutator, MOC_Patch.wad

If you have any trouble getting these things to work properly, or have any further questions, you're welcome to join the Vindicated Discord server to ask me or other players this or that directly:
Guncaster Vindicated Discord
Valherran wrote: 1. Draugh Suit - I could not absorb the shadow to wear it. If the hotkey was there it may have helped.

2. Power Suit - Did not find it through my entire playthrough, was probably unlucky. In other words I did my entire run suitless.

3. Ammo - As said before the ammo drops were too plentiful. Maybe remove the chance that large mags can drop from enemies? That would be a start.

4. Chests - Chests only seemed to drop from Minotaurs, after a buff to the Iron Lich, they should also drop chests.

5. Longhorn - This weapon would be useful if the strat was replaced by a ROF passive.

6. Pulverizer - Similar to the longhorn, replace the strat with exploding bullets, then it would be useful again.

7. Weapon Strats - They were dropping with the weapons they are attached to, intentional?

8. Progression - The game permanently ends after each boss level, intentional?

9. Tiberium Bombs - They don't seem to drop, never found a single one.

That's all for now.
I'll try to address these by number

1. press and hold the "Use" key (this is the key used to flip switches and open doors) then, while still holding the use key, press the key used to activate items (this will be the key you used to summon the pet, you may need to de-spawn him before absorbing the suit), this worked for me, give it another try.

2. You were unlucky. Heretic has hard coded luck based drops of the FireMace (which has a chance to spawns Dreadful, Draughtome and Powersuit), 75% chance to drop ONE FireMace per level where it exists and only in one of the many locations where it may spawn, so it can produce many chances to just miss the weapon.

3. Noted, I will likely reduce the drop rate of augur ammo, and change the black clinks to drop single augur shots instead of clips.

4. The Ironliches are super annoying in Vindicated, I may make some tweaks to this particular mutator to make them harder and have them drop chests. That being said, they DO NOT drop chests in Guncaster Official without this mutator, only minotaurs do so with the original heretic monsters, but I might be able to break that rule if I tune up their difficulty for the mutator, I'll talk to pillow about it and see if that might be justified.

5. That's something to talk to pillow about, the strat for longhorn is powerful against enemies that are weak to lightning damage. The weapon itself is MUCH more powerful in Vindicated.

6. Yep, there are a few folks who felt underwhelmed by pulverizer, be sure to let pillow know that you feel it should be stronger. I feel like it is in a good place in Vindicated, however, Vindicated uses no random damage whatsoever, while Guncaster Official still uses randomized damage, which can be harder to balance. As for changing the strat, I'm trying to preserve the Guncaster Official feel for this mutator, so I won't be changing any of the GC official weapons, that will be Pillowblaster's call.

7. Stratocasters have a 20% chance to drop with all the weapons in Guncaster Official, this is intentional.

8. I considered having episodes progress from one to the next without losing equipment in this mutator the same was as I intend with the continuous progression of Vindicated, however, I decided to keep the episodes separate as in the original heretic for Guncaster Official. This is also to prevent the player from scaling to a point of being totally unstoppable (although that may happen anyway even in the span of only 9 missions...), however, again this is something I'll have to bounce off Pillow and see if he thinks that suits the theme of GC Official or not.
Spoiler:
9. oops... that's my bad, I forgot to tidy up a bit of code, I've fixed it and it will be corrected in the next patch.

Thanks again for testing, every bit of data helps make this mod better! Be sure to voice your concerns about the weapons to Pillowblaster in the Guncaster Official thread, this mutator is meant to deal only with the monsters.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Just did a new run without continuation through episodes, so a couple more things I would like to add:

1. The Cultist Voices - Please oh please put the Heretic and Hexen sounds back on the humanoid enemies, they were super annoying to listen to and feel out of place. The Disciples were especially annoying. Constantly yammering through walls til the bitter end wherever you go.

2. Black Chests - These were also non-existent throughout my entire playthrough. Intentional?
Guncaster Official is supposed to feel totally overpowered, that's the name of the game. Completely wrecking enemies is kinda the point of it. If you feel it's too easy, give your feedback in the Guncaster Official thread, this monster pack aims to preserve the feel of Guncaster Official and I really shouldn't modify the weapons, or player.
Ohhh right. I forgot about that bit. No worries though, to make it more PillowBlaster like, Reduce all of the enemy's HP values by 50%. This will make the guns feel like GunCaster in Doom again.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Valherran wrote:Just did a new run without continuation through episodes, so a couple more things I would like to add:

1. The Cultist Voices - Please oh please put the Heretic and Hexen sounds back on the humanoid enemies, they were super annoying to listen to and feel out of place. The Disciples were especially annoying. Constantly yammering through walls til the bitter end wherever you go.

2. Black Chests - These were also non-existent throughout my entire playthrough. Intentional?
For vindicated, episodes are continuous, for GC Official, they aren't. Again, this might change if pillow says it makes more sense.

1. I can't stand the mumbling, backwards, fake voices of the original, for me they break any sense of the enemies having any sort of character with a palpable crack. I may, however, consider looking for some way to reduce the frequency of how often the human enemies play their "Active" sounds.
If there's a reasonable way to switch the sound using a CVar or ZScript, I'll implement a switch to set the voices to old heretic sounds. No promises otherwise.

2. Black Chests will only appear in Vindicated. This is a mechanic unique to that version of Guncaster.
Valherran wrote:
Ohhh right. I forgot about that bit. No worries though, to make it more PillowBlaster like, Reduce all of the enemy's HP values by 50%. This will make the guns feel like GunCaster in Doom again.
I may do that.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

By the way... Tom Hall stays discouraged, cause no any fish at the end (I really hoped to see it :D)
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Mere_Duke wrote:By the way... Tom Hall stays discouraged, cause no any fish at the end (I really hoped to see it :D)
I'll add it in the next update. I forgot to copy it from GC_Vindicated credits.

I'm planning to make the monsters less tough and reduce some of the ammo drop frequencies as well as a few other minor touch-ups.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Works fine for Heretic but can't get it to work with HOC and MOC. Loading sequence is 1) Guncaster data, 2) D'Sparil's Revenge data, 3) wad-file, 4) compat. patch.

HOC errors:

Code: Select all

Script error, "HOC_Patch.wad:DECORATE" line 17:
Parent type 'GuncastCyberbaron' not found in HOC_OmegaBaron_REPLACER
Actually, there's no "GuncastCyberbaron" actor defined neither in Guncaster nor in D'Sparil Revenge, so this

ACTOR HOC_OmegaBaron_REPLACER : GuncastCyberbaron Replaces OmegaBaron {}
is where error pops up.

MOC errors:

Script error, "moc11.wad:DECORATE" line 4953:
Script error, "moc11.wad:DECORATE" line 4953:
Tried to define class 'redpuff' more than twice in the same file.
Actually, the MOC Decorate is old and rusty, but GZD 3.6 can handle (ignore) those things like duplicate actors, if I load the moc11.wad only. But if I try to load everything at once, those errors appear. I deleted duplicates, and here what it says now:

Script error, "moc11.wad:DECORATE" line 5:
Frames must be A-Z, [, \, or ]
The Code:

1 oldtree
2 {
3 	doomednum 20000
4 	sprite tre1
5 	frames "a"
6 	solid
7 	radius 16
8 	height 132
9 }
Very strange. What am I missing?

Upd: I'm dumb. The old Decorate is case-sensitive, and I made it lowercase. Reverted.
The deleting of duplicates really solved the problem. I leave fixed moc11.wad for those who will have the same problem: https://www.mediafire.com/file/i6ivmsiy ... 1.wad/file
The HOC bug can't be solved until Dino tell what is the GuncastCyberbaron actor :)
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: DSparil's Revenge 1.2

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updated to version 1.2

This includes fixes to the patches for Masters of Chaos and Hordes of Chaos.

Other changes
Spoiler:
Mere_Duke wrote:Works fine for Heretic but can't get it to work with HOC and MOC. Loading sequence is 1) Guncaster data, 2) D'Sparil's Revenge data, 3) wad-file, 4) compat. patch.

HOC errors:
Spoiler:
MOC errors:
Spoiler:
Very strange. What am I missing?
Everything should be fixed and in full working order now, my apologies for not catching this sooner. If you are having trouble running it, use the included batch files that come with the download.
Mere_Duke wrote: Upd: I'm dumb. The old Decorate is case-sensitive, and I made it lowercase. Reverted.
The deleting of duplicates really solved the problem. I leave fixed moc11.wad for those who will have the same problem: https://www.mediafire.com/file/i6ivmsiy ... 1.wad/file
The HOC bug can't be solved until Dino tell what is the GuncastCyberbaron actor :)
The HOX bug is fixed, the warnings with masters of chaos (yellow text in console) however, is a result of the way the decorate and GLDEFS code is written in the moc11.wad itself.
(the actors such as snow particle and redpuff that are defined twice in the decorate file, the truncations of floating point numbers that should be integers, the assigning of dynamic lights to a non-existent actor, etc...)
I will attempt to contact the author of masters of chaos and offer to assist with correcting these issues.

For all practical purposes, the map pack should work just fine for Guncaster with DSparil's revenge, or Guncaster Vindicated, while using this patch.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Thank you, Dino! It works like a charm now, and I can enjoy enemies flinging their things at me.
Oh, and Dopefish is on his place! Perfect :D

You're very productive, you know, and you create cool mods at the speed many others (like me) can only produce sorry things. Keep up the good work!

PS I sometimes don't understand GZDoom parser. It seems it allows to have an actor defined two times, but not three (v1.1, two redpuffs in moc11, one in D'Sp Revenge -> errors and vice versa; deleted one redpuff from moc11 -> everything works). So odd.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Forgot to say. You added a system to disable some voice sounds; in Deco you wrapped

TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("Wazard/Cast");
into

"####" A 0 {
			if(GetCvar("GC_DefaultVoices") == 0) 
			{
				A_PlaySound("Wazard/Cast");
			}
		}
But in D'Sparil's_Revenge.pk3\filter\Game-Heretic\Decorate\Monsters\Wisard.txt there is one case where A_PlaySound("Wazard/Cast"); left unwrapped: the line #767. Please, check if it is really an overlook.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”