Total Chaos 1.0 Released! -- Retro Edition now available!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wad'a'Holic

Re: Total Chaos - Out Now!

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Amuscaria wrote:Thoroughly impressed with the atmosphere and ambiance; the sound effects are especially nice. I'm especially impressed that this is made in GZDoom. Combats is a bit stiff, but functional, and the horror elements are fantastic. Was a bit slow in the first level/act, but picks up quite nicely in the second.

The most frustration I had is with the inventory - mainly the keys. I've gotten to the second act, and I found sorting the keys especially difficult. They all look the same, and I think they stay in your inventory after being used. I'm really not sure if I have a key for a door or not, since their descriptions are pretty vague. The second complaint I have is with the navigation. The steel doors that teleports you to a different room look the same and have no indication if they are locked, just for decoration, or is actually the path forward. I have the same problem with the caged doors. Some open, some do nothing, some says it's locked but doesn't state if I can go into them with a key or not.

Found a possible oversight in the second act, at the door that houses the shotgun. The switch doesn't seem to have a locked cage over it, like the first act, but says it requires a key anyway. (See Screenshot)

Haven't progressed far enough to give this a proper review due to school. Will test more when free-time allows. Fantastic work on this mod. :)
Cheers for the feedback!

I agree with the keys, there is no reason for single use keys to linger in the inventory after use. I'll get this fixed up for the next update.
With the doors, ones that can be used/not used have a different texture, although the effect is probably too subtle to make any meaningful difference. Shouldn't be too hard for me to make them a bit more clear.
Good find with the door switch, will get that fixed up too!
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

I'm utterly blindsided by the fact this actually seems to be playable on my system, so I'm absolutely going to give it a play tonight. Regarding the download size, it might be advisable to separate out the graphics and sound stuff into a separate PK3 like Doom4Doom does, so when it comes to fixing things users don't have to re-download the whole thing.

EDIT: Actually you did that already. Ignore that.
gramps

Post by gramps »

Just started playing through it, looks amazing so far.

One small issue though, it only runs smoothly on this laptop at an embarrassingly low resolution. Is there any chance of bumping some of the font sizes up a tiny bit so everything reads at, say, 640x480?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

I'm trying it right now, i can see the improvement from the last beta you posted, and i'm glad you added all these sweet PBR materials :)
Gameplay is also really interesting, it kinda feels like Stalker meets Resident Evil/Silent Hill.
As a quick note, i think the default FOV might be a bit too high? But i guess that's just a personal preference.
Cheers!
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

I'm playing right now.
The game is pretty amazing graphic and story wise.
I hope to see more from you, even if l should pay money.
LOZ_98
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by LOZ_98 »

Awesome work, and Congratulations for the Release!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Fantastic mod so far, the ambience and the horror are some pretty good stuff. There are some major lags, but I don't quite know if its the mod, the engine, or my system being weak.
However, there is an actual bug that I found playing the mod.

Switching back and forth from slots would increase the quantity of the equipment switched, it's one thing with the weapons, but when throwables are involved it pretty much turns into an infinite ammo exploit.

\

Some of the way the inventory stack works also boggle my mind, with some items allowing for stacking while others of similar size doesn't.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Realistic Graphics really goes well with the ZDoom engine, even though it's aged a lot. This TC is one darn good example. Excellent work!
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

Love the game, been following for years and so glad it's finally out. Incredible work all-around. It's one of the first Doom mods where I truly lose any feeling that this has been made in the GZDoom engine.

I have found two major grievances though:

Can you not combine stacks? The auto-sort doesn't do it, clicking one stack on another stack doesnt do it... It's very easy to get your inventory cluttered with stacks of identical items, so much so I just drop stacks that are running low to save the space. At the very least I feel like the auto-sort button should be able to combine them.

My other major grievance is regarding the crafting. The crafting system will detect the first recipe it sees like you expect, but if you try to add more items on the grid than necessary for that recipe, and then craft the item, all the additional non-necessary items will be consumed and not returned to your inventory. I made this mistake as I was using the mobile cooker, I was mistakenly thinking I could place multiple pieces of the same item onto the grid to cook them all at once but all of my additional food was destroyed. It should at least return the items not necessary for the recipe back to the player's inventory.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:Love the game, been following for years and so glad it's finally out. Incredible work all-around. It's one of the first Doom mods where I truly lose any feeling that this has been made in the GZDoom engine.

I have found two major grievances though:

Can you not combine stacks? The auto-sort doesn't do it, clicking one stack on another stack doesnt do it... It's very easy to get your inventory cluttered with stacks of identical items, so much so I just drop stacks that are running low to save the space. At the very least I feel like the auto-sort button should be able to combine them.

My other major grievance is regarding the crafting. The crafting system will detect the first recipe it sees like you expect, but if you try to add more items on the grid than necessary for that recipe, and then craft the item, all the additional non-necessary items will be consumed and not returned to your inventory. I made this mistake as I was using the mobile cooker, I was mistakenly thinking I could place multiple pieces of the same item onto the grid to cook them all at once but all of my additional food was destroyed. It should at least return the items not necessary for the recipe back to the player's inventory.
Cheers! Glad to hear your loving it.
Fixed up the grievance with the craft window. Good find!
Proper item stacking will hopefully be in next weeks update, along with a bunch of other quality of life changes.
ZikShadow wrote:Fantastic mod so far, the ambience and the horror are some pretty good stuff. There are some major lags, but I don't quite know if its the mod, the engine, or my system being weak.
However, there is an actual bug that I found playing the mod.

Switching back and forth from slots would increase the quantity of the equipment switched, it's one thing with the weapons, but when throwables are involved it pretty much turns into an infinite ammo exploit.

\

Some of the way the inventory stack works also boggle my mind, with some items allowing for stacking while others of similar size doesn't.
This one was nasty. Fixed it up in the latest hotfix too. Good find! Don't know how that one slipped through the cracks.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Total Chaos - Hotfix 0.97.1 Available!

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Sometimes while hovering over items in the inventory, gzdoom will suddenly freeze. This happens completely at random and it's very rare, but still really annoying.
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

Unable to load shader env:
Init Shader 'env':
Fragment shader:
0(12) : error C1503: undefined variable "texture7"

Linking:
Fragment info
-------------
(0) : error C2003: incompatible options for link
Any ideas whats causing it?
Smashhacker

Post by Smashhacker »

will183 wrote:Unable to load shader env:
Init Shader 'env':
Fragment shader:

Linking:
Fragment info
-------------
I'm having the same exact issues as well.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Smashhacker wrote:
will183 wrote:Unable to load shader env:
Init Shader 'env':
Fragment shader:

Linking:
Fragment info
-------------
I'm having the same exact issues as well.
Drag just the totalchaos.pk3 file onto GZDoom. It will load the rest automagically
TDG

Post by TDG »

I forgot to post this but I wanted to thank you for uploading a complete packaged version of Total Chaos.
I tried to run the first downloadable package on a version of GZdoom but a file was missing making the program shut down.
Fortunate I did not have the same issue with your complete RAR file.

I hope to have seem feedback for you soon but visually it looks very impressive.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”