D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.1 - Sneak Peak p. 44

Post by Major Cooke »

Those of you who play on the github latest bleeding edge may just happen to notice that suddenly, you're no longer throwing grenades. A certain... mechanical sidepiece is doing it all for you. :mrgreen:

No longer do you have to wait on weapons to finish their reloading to throw that much needed syphon grenade or to drop a holo to bail your sorry hide out of a pickle.

Expect some more utility based options coming very soon.

Honestly I've been looking for this excuse for ages to replace it and I'm so happy it's done now.
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.2 Released (10/05/2018)

Post by Major Cooke »

Alpha 8.2 has been released.

D4DResources.pk3 has been updated! You will need to re-download both the resources and code packages!

Lots of stuff but here's some of the bigger highlights.
  • NEW!!! Grenade Launcher - Occasionally replace the Rocket Launcher (Upgrades are not yet implemented)
  • NEW!!! Shoulder Mounted Utility Lobber - Throw grenades at any time you want! No more restrictive wait-til-done-firing hocus pocus.
  • NEW!!! Dash ability. You must acquire the upgrade to use it. There is a custom keybind for it.
  • HAR Micro Missiles are a lot more useful now.
  • New variant of chaingunner for Doom 4 monsters
  • Hell razer and Spider Mastermind attacks pierce
  • Knight rune does bonus damage to enemies directly stomped on
  • Cyberdemon aborts/no longer uses gauss cannon when its target is out of range
  • Summoners (and runes) no longer conjure zombies, just demons
  • Demon runes dropped by Rainbow Doom monsters have enhancements (WIP: Some things are not complete yet.)
  • Pain Elemental sprite returned to Doom 2's.
  • Lost Soul has a new, more satisfying death effect.
As usual you can find a much more extensive listing of changes in the changelog.

Just remember, some things there are still incomplete feature-wise. Unfortunately I've become a bit more busier than usual so I decided to let loose what's stable so far so people can play around with it and give it a try as they see fit. They will see completion very soon.

As always, your feedback is appreciated. Have fun!
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

I like the update, but it seems odd that the Grenade Launcher is using High Res sprites as supposed to something converted from D4D. Are the rest of the weapons going to be high res as well at some point?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yes. That is the intention. Otherwise I won't be able to finish the akimbo system. I will be redoing all the sprites to match, that way they can have handless variants and not make the doom slayer look like a xenomorph. :P
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

The Doom Slayer's balls are truly epic. So epic, they must be contained in little containment units.

Why blue ball when you can green ball?
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.3 Released (11/01/2018)

Post by Major Cooke »

Alpha 8.3 released. New models, new content, you get the drift!

Also included in the changelog is that latest update day/alpha for D4DResources.pk3. If you are updating from a time before then, you must also update your D4DResources.pk3, but only then.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Heck yeah, time to finally try this mod. I've been excited to try this for a long time and now I've finally cleared my backlog of mods to try to finally get to this.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Awesome. If you downloaded the D4D.pk3 yesterday, I recommend redownloading it again as it fixes a few things that were overlooked. I.e. revenant lasers being purple instead of white, and using the wrong type of GL lights which can be a bit more performance costly.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Yoo I just played a quick 11 map campaign with this and the mod is lit!

Being used to sprite based pickups and pixelated effects, it took a few moments to get used to the 3D items and the special effects. I was caught by surprise by how it all looked and feeled even though I had seen the trailers before playing. The gameplay was also interesting in that its heavily based on the pinata loot the monsters drop when they're finished off with a melee hit. Everything felt way more faster than snappy, be it movement or weapons. I appreciate that.

I've only done one playthrough so far, but I really like what I experienced and looking through the options menu there seems to be a whole lot of things to tweak and change to modify a playsession quite drastically, so I'm excited to play it more. Thank you for making the mod! :D

EDIT: also the memes are funny. I like how the mod leans on the side of being about having fun and a good time. Some of the upgrade shop descriptions got a chuckle out of me. :mrgreen:
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Glad you enjoyed it!

The voxels will eventually be replaced entirely because they are a performance hit, so don't expect them to stick around for much longer.
Nightquaker

Post by Nightquaker »

Hello there!

Why not make the voxels and classic monsters optional?
I don't see any reason to just remove them concretely and not just make them on/off in the options menu.
Personally, I never noticed any performance hit with voxels, but they look really nice in their current HD form.

Cheers.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

In greater clumps, voxels are much more costly. Especially in larger maps. It's harder to notice in the more regular maps but much more notable in slaughter maps.

Classic monster mixing will be implemented eventually but it's very low on the priority list right now.
Nightquaker

Post by Nightquaker »

Thank you.
Regarding monsters, I didn't really mean the mixing, but more like just being able to choose the "monster pack" in the options menu. Which is currently a thing.
I was just worried that you were going to remove that option.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

The mod is really growing on me. I've been getting more familiar with its style of play and most of the features it has to offer and I've been having a blast!
Spoiler:
First I played through 2 campaigns of 11 levels both with the credit based upgrades, now I'm doing a third one with the upgrades dropping as kill loot.
There are still some features I've yet to discover and use, such as the akimbo system that I assume allows for dual wielding most weapons, but I don't know how to get it or use it. Then theres also the curious hotkey for activating some sort of special function on the chaingun that I haven't found the upgrade for yet.

A small inconvenience is that my monitor is 5:4 (1280x1024 res), so the UI is visibly cut off at the edges and the powerup screen effects show their top/bottom edges, but I changed it to a letterboxed 16:9 which admittedly makes everything smaller on the screen by a little, but I've gotten used to it for now.

Other than that, I'm gonna be playing this for a long while, trying out different maps. I'll likely also check out the older version (2.03) for the addons and see how that plays too with the extra content.

This mod is REALLY good! :rock:
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoilered the screenshots.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Man, you know how to take some good screenshots. Question, what mod are you using to display enemy names/health/etc? I wonder if that's using the tag system so I can put that in and have it properly show the names of the monsters instead of their internals.

Akimbo system is temporarily disabled for the time being until I can make new weapon sprites without hands attached. Furthermore, it would require necessitating fixing a bunch of functionality that's not worth doing until after the weapons are completed.

Just be warned, 2.0.3 is completely unsupported, so don't bother with bug reports.

I'm glad you're having fun thought! :mrgreen:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”