Total Chaos 1.0 Released! -- Retro Edition now available!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDG

Re: Total Chaos - Releasing on Halloween!

Post by TDG »

That is cool to hear that this mod will be out next month.

With all the modification that you must have done to the engine, does it even still somewhat resemble the original code? Especially if it could run even without using engine of the original Doom content.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

TDG wrote:That is cool to hear that this mod will be out next month.

With all the modification that you must have done to the engine, does it even still somewhat resemble the original code? Especially if it could run even without using engine of the original Doom content.
All the modifications are just whats been done with GZDoom, I personally haven't made any engine modifications.
I'm sure one of the devs could chime in, but I imagine the changes done from the original engine are more than significant.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Some new gameplay:
gramps

Post by gramps »

That looks incredible.

The only thing I wasn't totally feeling was that pipe weapon being two-handed. It looks short enough that holding it with two hands and hitting stuff with it would be awkward. Might look more natural in one hand, plus it might be fun backhanding stuff with it sometimes... or maybe extend pipe a little so it's closer to the length of a bat?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Wad'a'Holic wrote:I'm sure one of the devs could chime in, but I imagine the changes done from the original engine are more than significant.
I don't really know what you want us to chime in with, but I can say that ZScript and the shader system allow for a whole number of ways to make anything look not remotely like GZDoom, Doom, or anything at all from the two decades after Doom was released. It is possible to make a completely modern-looking game, sans a ragdoll engine, with GZDoom.
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

I glanced over this section yesterday and when I saw this the first time it didn't quite process that this was what it is. Then I clicked on it and realized which mod this is and my excitement went through the roof. I can't believe Total Chaos is actually getting a full release after so long. Congratulations to all the devs who made this possible, y'all are amazing.
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

I honestly would believe you if you told me this was made using the Source engine, it looks to far removed from the classic graphics
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Oh man this is a long time coming.
TDG

Post by TDG »

Wad'a'Holic wrote:All the modifications are just whats been done with GZDoom, I personally haven't made any engine modifications.
I'm sure one of the devs could chime in, but I imagine the changes done from the original engine are more than significant.
To ask something similar to what another poster wrote earlier, could you (if you wanted to) sell this as a commercial title if the reception is positive?

If things work out well with this mod I feel that you have a right to go commercial with it and earn some income for yourself and anyone who worked with you on this.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

TDG wrote:
Wad'a'Holic wrote:All the modifications are just whats been done with GZDoom, I personally haven't made any engine modifications.
To ask something similar to what another poster wrote earlier, could you (if you wanted to) sell this as a commercial title if the reception is positive?

If things work out well with this mod I feel that you have a right to go commercial with it and earn some income for yourself and anyone who worked with you on this.
Depends how the reception is. I definitely would like to do more.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Released!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/total-chaos/ ... ll-release

Install Instructions
To play this build of Total Chaos, you will need:

- Doom 2 (and the doom2.wad file that comes with it)
- The latest version of GZDoom (which can be downloaded here: https://zdoom.org/downloads)

To play, after you have installed GZDOOM and dragged the DOOM2.WAD file into the same directory, simply drag totalchaos.pk3 onto the GZDoom.exe.
Don’t drag all the PK3 files onto GZDoom, as there is a custom load order that is needed…

Performance Tips
Got stutters? It is HIGHLY recommended you enable Precaching.
This will front load the assets when you load a level, which will increase load times, but ultimately is a better experience.

This can be done by enabling Precache GL Textures under Texture Options, or by using the console command gl_precache 1.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Dowloading now!

Will give feedback as soon as I can.

Although, at 2.6 gig of data in this, I might be waiting awhile. :shock:
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

I have bundled this with Freedoom and GZDoom and wrapped a launcher executable around it.
Turns out it was possible, much easier than I thought! Releasing shortly.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Standalone version can be downloaded here:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/total-chaos/ ... ll-version
Amuscaria

Re: Total Chaos - Out Now!

Post by Amuscaria »

Thoroughly impressed with the atmosphere and ambiance; the sound effects are especially nice. I'm especially impressed that this is made in GZDoom. Combats is a bit stiff, but functional, and the horror elements are fantastic. Was a bit slow in the first level/act, but picks up quite nicely in the second.

The most frustration I had is with the inventory - mainly the keys. I've gotten to the second act, and I found sorting the keys especially difficult. They all look the same, and I think they stay in your inventory after being used. I'm really not sure if I have a key for a door or not, since their descriptions are pretty vague. The second complaint I have is with the navigation. The steel doors that teleports you to a different room look the same and have no indication if they are locked, just for decoration, or is actually the path forward. I have the same problem with the caged doors. Some open, some do nothing, some says it's locked but doesn't state if I can go into them with a key or not.

Found a possible oversight in the second act, at the door that houses the shotgun. The switch doesn't seem to have a locked cage over it, like the first act, but says it requires a key anyway. (See Screenshot)
Spoiler:
Haven't progressed far enough to give this a proper review due to school. Will test more when free-time allows. Fantastic work on this mod. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”