Total Chaos 1.0 Released! -- Retro Edition now available!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wad'a'Holic

Total Chaos 1.0 Released! -- Retro Edition now available!

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Download Total Chaos at ModDB (Standalone version, UPDATE 1.00.0)
Comes bundled with GZDoom. No doom2.wad requirement.

Now includes RETRO EDITION with reduced texture resolutions, object and polygon counts:
Download Total Chaos RETRO EDITION at ModDB

This version fixes stuttering and adds motion blur, lens flares, noise and vinettes (thanks Nash).
It is also 1GB smaller in file size!
Spoiler: Changelog (1.00.0)
Total Chaos is a total conversion mod for Doom 2 that runs on the GZDoom source port.
The mod is a survival horror set on a remote island known as Fort Oasis. The island was once run by a community of coal miners which one day suddenly disappeared, leaving behind the abandoned concrete jungle to waste away. Something, clearly, has gone very wrong with this place. Upon your arrival at Fort Oasis, you receive a strange radio transmission. Someone wants to he found. The further you travel into the concrete jungle, the more the situation ends up unraveling, and where you were heading is no longer clear. Find letters scattered around the world and uncover the mystery of what happened.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/jwPyoTF[/imgur]
Screenshot Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/HEnOoLQ

Survive in 6 chapters
Explore the island of Fort Oasis in 6 chapters. In these chapters you will fight through apartments, utility tunnels, shopping centers, before reaching the city center and the mines that await you.

Fight against horrifying fiends
In every chapter, you will encounter new and even more horrifying creations. Each one processing their own unique attack patterns. Learning these is vital to surviving the oncoming onslaught.

Dispatch of them with a large assortment of weapons
Use anything you can find on the island to fight against the forces of evil. There are guns, but ammo for them is incredibly hard to come by. You will mostly be relying on tireirons, pickaxes, shivs and garden tools. Most of these can be crafted and some can be upgraded to wield more powerful blows.

The mod with the assistance of the source ports introduces many new graphical features, including 3D models and high resolution textures.
You will need Doom 2 to be able to play the mod, along with the latest version of GZDoom.
Spoiler: Install Instructions
Spoiler: Run Suggestions
Spoiler: Soundtrack
Spoiler: Gameplay
Last edited by Wad'a'Holic on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Enjay

Re: Total Chaos - Releasing on Halloween!

Post by Enjay »

That looks stunning. :shock:
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

I've been waiting for this one to be released.

PREPARE YOUR CPUs FOR THIS ONE though.

Edit (and off-topic): My old mouse's left mouse button is broke, so i'm using the spare one (the bad news is, the LMB is double-clicking by itself, even in a single click, which made me accidentally double-post)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

YukesVonFaust wrote:Edit (and off-topic): My old mouse's left mouse button is broke, so i'm using the spare one (the bad news is, the LMB is double-clicking by itself, even in a single click, which made me accidentally double-post)
Heh, that would explain the triple post I corrected for you last night (well, last night here anyway).
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Looks amazing Wadaholic! Can't wait to be too scared to finish it, lol.

By the way, what's the rationale behind needing Doom2.wad? Why not make it standalone, or based on Freedoom? I'm not sure about the licensing of your resources but this honestly looks like something you could sell on Steam and I'd actually pay money for.

8-)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Oh wow!

Guess I know what I'll be playing on the release date then.

Spoiler: This.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

IT'S HAPPENING.
protox

Post by protox »

I would suggest packaging it as a single download as well as a mod.

I mean it looks incredible for gzdoom, if the gameplay is there and it has enough content (2-3 hours worth of maps) I don't see why mods like this one could not be sold as a commercial game for a few dollars. The crap they pack in some indie bundles is a magnitude times worse in many cases then some quality original games on gzdoom engine. I think as long as you abide by gzdoom gpl license (release the code) but keep content copyrighted unless for custom editing (non-commercial). You can release a shareware version/demo as well.

Just an idea, but either looks very good.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Oh my god I've been waiting for so long
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

My body is ready
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Finally! :)
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Be still thy beating heart...the game lives!!
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

You will need Doom 2 to be able to play the mod, along with the latest version of GZDoom.
Why dont you make it iwad-like? Or there are still exist some textures from doom2?
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

protox wrote:I would suggest packaging it as a single download as well as a mod.

I mean it looks incredible for gzdoom, if the gameplay is there and it has enough content (2-3 hours worth of maps) I don't see why mods like this one could not be sold as a commercial game for a few dollars. The crap they pack in some indie bundles is a magnitude times worse in many cases then some quality original games on gzdoom engine. I think as long as you abide by gzdoom gpl license (release the code) but keep content copyrighted unless for custom editing (non-commercial). You can release a shareware version/demo as well.

Just an idea, but either looks very good.
Cheers for the feedback.
Not ruling out making it its own package in the future.
I am yet to test this with Freedoom, it might actually run.

Hopefully I can get it working standalone in the next version.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

It should technically be possible to make it not depend on any IWAD. If it doesn't use anything from doom2.wad you could just rename it to .ipk3.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”