Resolution for 16:9 non-HD sprites

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Resolution for 16:9 non-HD sprites

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Hey all. I have to create a weapon sprite with edges touching the edges of a screen and once again I realized I don't know what would be the 16:9 resolution.

It seems logical that the solution is simple: 240 as height and 240 * 1.8 for width (1.8 comes from dividing 16 by 9 which is 1.77777...).

However, I have a sprite that is 430 pixels wide (I originally miscalculated and was using 200 as a base instead of 240), and it's definitely missing more than 2 pixels (looks more like 10).

So, what's the correct resolution? I'd really like to know the exact numbers are before I start redoing everything.

In addition to this, I'm not sure about height as well, to be perfectly honest. Slade seems to think the height for Doom hud sprites is 200 px (-32 px for statusbar, so really, 168). 168 definitely doesn't fill the whole screen. So is it 200? Or 240? And why neighter of the numbers seems to have a proper relation to the width number when it comes to 16:9?
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: Resolution for 16:9 non-HD sprites

Post by Pixel Eater »

Even though GZDoom stretches the pixels to a theoretical height of 240, if you were to count them there are still only 200 present. They are just taller. Your sprite doesn't "get" more pixels to work with, it's just spread out over more of them with no added resolution.

I wouldn't round 1.7r up to 1.8 either because the first gets 355.5r and the second is 360 which is a big difference.

I would shoot for 354 though because when I add the following 356x200 graphic into Slade the edges go just over the guide.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just by coincidence, I was making a model and map to compare Doom 1:1.2 scaling to 1:1 scaling. I know it's not quite what this thread is about, but it's interesting (to me) anyway.

In this screenshot, the crate on the left is a standard sector-based crate with its floor at height 64. The crate on the right is a model with, as near as damnit dimensions of 64x64x64. GZDoom does not apply the 1:1.2 scaling to models and so you get this:

If the modeldef is edited so that the scale line reads "Scale 1.0 1.0 1.2" instead of "Scale 1.0 1.0 1.0" the heights match.

Anyway, the model also showed up a potential bug, so the map can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62350 if anyone is interested.
Jekyll Grim Payne

That's what I get with 356x200:

Slade:

Like I said, I tried the width of 456 and even that wasn't enough:

I don't see any kind of scaling happening, it just looks like I need to go wider. Can't imagine why though.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Interesting. I don't know if this helps, or just confuses the issue but if I crop your image to the width of the arms and then scale it so the height is 200 (keeping the x:y ratio the same) my image size is 296x200. If I scale the height to 240, the image ends up at 356x240.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Yes, I just checked, apparently I'm wrong and there is scaling. In the last image its 456x168, not 200, and that doesn't fill the screen. But if I make it 200, then 456 is actually too wide.

UPD:

OK, one of the issues is, for me fullscreen mode doesn't work at all, if I try to switch to it, gzdoom window just disappears. I'm not sure if this affects scaling/aspect ratio, but I found out that my screen is precisely filled with a 438x200 image.
Attachments
438x200.png
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

I'm thinking that GZDoom is actually narrowing the sprite inward rather than stretching it upward to make the 1:1.2 pixel height. In which case I'd multiply 355.5r by 1.2 for 426.6r which is much closer to your 438.

I also checked the aspect ratio of your screenshots and they're 1:1.83, which suggests to me that your window has been resized wider than 16:9?

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”