[Music] Shane's HQ Doom Music (2018 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shane
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Gentoo GNU/Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [Music] HQ Doom Music (2017 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

Post by Shane »

vanfanel wrote:@Shane: These music packs are simply AMAZING, this is what I play Ultimate Doom and Doom2 with. I can't stand GUS emulation anymore, this is how Doom music is supposed to sound!
However, I have noticed looping is not right, E1M1 for example, you can hear an extra guitar riff between loops. It happens on all tracks. Could you fix it, please? I am using DoomRetro as my sourceport now.
Thanks very much! I don't know why that happened. It seems like it's only Doom/Ultimate Doom that does that. Doom II seems to work fine. I'm using the same tags in both, so I don't know what's going on.

I'm going to do a FLAC version of Doom and Doom II along with Final Doom (hopefully) and I'm hoping that issue will be resolved. Thanks for checking it out! :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Seeing this thread resurrected reminded me to go and check your tracks out again. I'd forgotten just how good they are. Great stuff. Thanks once again for your work.

A FLAC version would be really nice.

If you're ever bored and have some time on your hands, my favourite Doom track has always been E1M5 "Suspense" and I love hearing variations on it. So, if you ever fancy putting your own spin on it some time, rather than the more faithful rendition in the music pack I'd like to hear what you'd do with it. There's nothing wrong with the version in the pack (I really like it) but I like to hear alternatives too. Just a thought. :)

Also, other than D_Evil from Doom2, have you thought about any Wolfenstein stuff? My personal favourite tracks from there are "Suspense" (same title, different tune), "Enemy Around the Corner" and "Searching for the Enemy"

Again, just a thought. Either way, thanks once again for your great music. :)
Shane

Post by Shane »

Enjay wrote:Seeing this thread resurrected reminded me to go and check your tracks out again. I'd forgotten just how good they are. Great stuff. Thanks once again for your work.

A FLAC version would be really nice.

If you're ever bored and have some time on your hands, my favourite Doom track has always been E1M5 "Suspense" and I love hearing variations on it. So, if you ever fancy putting your own spin on it some time, rather than the more faithful rendition in the music pack I'd like to hear what you'd do with it. There's nothing wrong with the version in the pack (I really like it) but I like to hear alternatives too. Just a thought. :)

Also, other than D_Evil from Doom2, have you thought about any Wolfenstein stuff? My personal favourite tracks from there are "Suspense" (same title, different tune), "Enemy Around the Corner" and "Searching for the Enemy"

Again, just a thought. Either way, thanks once again for your great music. :)
Hey, Enjay! Thanks for checking out the tracks again! Like I said, I'd like to do a FLAC version for both Doom games, as well as Final Doom, and I hope to have them out this year.

That could be fun! I might try messing with it once Final Doom nears the end of its recording phase.

I've considered doing soundtracks for Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem 3D as well. I started a thread for the Duke stuff (https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9757-sha ... overs-wip/). I'll probably start working on finishing those off after Doom is done.

I still plan on doing Heretic, Hexen, and Strife too. At some point. Looks like this will be one long project. :P
Jali

Post by Jali »

Hi! I have 3 things to tell/ask you! One, you did an amazing job! 2, you did such a great job I'd like to use these track in a doom fan creation, currently top secret :wink:, but of course, I must ask for your permission first. Lastly, I found the problem the last reply speaks of, that E1M1 has an extra riff at the end! Iv'e had a listen through all the tracks after uncompressing them from the pk3, and some have a little part of the beginning right at the end, causing the weird "extra riff" he spoke of. Glad to make your acquaintance!

-Jali
Shane

Post by Shane »

Jali wrote:Hi! I have 3 things to tell/ask you! One, you did an amazing job! 2, you did such a great job I'd like to use these track in a doom fan creation, currently top secret :wink:, but of course, I must ask for your permission first. Lastly, I found the problem the last reply speaks of, that E1M1 has an extra riff at the end! Iv'e had a listen through all the tracks after uncompressing them from the pk3, and some have a little part of the beginning right at the end, causing the weird "extra riff" he spoke of. Glad to make your acquaintance!

-Jali
1.) Thank you very much! And thanks for listening!
2.) The tracks are free for anyone to use as long as I'm credited for my work.
3.) The riff is supposed to be for seamless looping. For some reason, the looppoint tag isn't working in the Doom pack. I haven't noticed this issue happening in Doom 2.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

@Shane: Would it be possible to have a version of the Doom 1 pack without the extra riff, so we get seamless looping? Minor detail, but for those of us who know the Doom OST too well it's a little imperfection in such a magnificent OST incarnation as yours!
Shane

Post by Shane »

vanfanel wrote:@Shane: Would it be possible to have a version of the Doom 1 pack without the extra riff, so we get seamless looping? Minor detail, but for those of us who know the Doom OST too well it's a little imperfection in such a magnificent OST incarnation as yours!
It's actually supposed to seamlessly loop. For some reason, the Doom 1 pack doesn't loop correctly (the meta info is in the OGGs, but it won't work for some reason???). It's fine in Doom II from what I can tell. I'm going to upload revised packs after I finish Final Doom so that there are FLAC versions for all of the games, and hopefully fix the looping.

Thanks for listening! It bothers me too! :(
Shane

Post by Shane »

Happy New Year, Doomers! As a late holiday gift, you find under your non-denominational holiday season flora none other than High Quality Final Doom Music!

This year, Lud and Siberian Tiger open their gifts with glee, along with the rest of the ZDoom Discord and Forum members who always make releasing these projects worthwhile. As hard as it is to not sound generic, I always mean it when I thank all of you for checking these out.

I hope this release will be a nice end of the year gift for you guys, and I appreciate everyone who takes the time to check them out, and the patience you guys have between releases. You all rock! Now get your (Final) Doom on!
Last edited by Shane on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BROS_ETT_311

Re: [Music] Shane's HQ Doom Music (2018 Updates) [WIP] [Link

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Well, I do enjoy me some early holiday gifts! Just one slight problem...the link is for the Doom 1 pack. Not to say I don't love those tracks (I mean, who wouldn't??), but I was really looking forward to the TNT set list. Can't wait to check out the pack!
Shane

Post by Shane »

BROS_ETT_311 wrote:Well, I do enjoy me some early holiday gifts! Just one slight problem...the link is for the Doom 1 pack. Not to say I don't love those tracks (I mean, who wouldn't??), but I was really looking forward to the TNT set list. Can't wait to check out the pack!
Oops! Link is fixed! Thank you!
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Don't mention it! And thank you :rock:
Zydomus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zydomus »

Heyo! :D I must say that I absolutely adored your music.. I just loved that vibe I had while rocking Proj. Brutality and a bunch of other visual mods, all while blasting away at the monstrosities that came by while listening to each of all of those hellishly badass tunes you dished out. :twisted:

Everything about the pack is rigorous except I've noticed a minor flaw with one of the songs; and I probably wouldn't have noticed it had I not loaded up "Inferno of Blood" using NERVE.wad for GzDoom from my BFG Edition files.

Basically, I had compared the Seemingly HQ version of the song "In the Dark" which is used in "Inferno of Blood" from the No Rest for the Living campaign. (which is also used in Map 06) to the lower quality variants that are used in maps 12 and 24.. and apparently, the higher quality version of the song isn't being loaded into maps "12" and "24" as opposed to the higher quality one used in the NRFTL campaign, and Map 06 in general. that is my only nitpick I have, and I hope that you might still be able to fix it! :|

But other than all of that, the quality on those songs are absolutely solid. keep rocking, and stay frosty. 8-) (nice guitar riffs, btw.:rock:)
Last edited by Zydomus on Fri May 24, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoturky

Post by snoturky »

This is awesome. I always thought the MIDI tracks sounded pretty good, but getting some real guitars in there from someone who can play and actually knows how to use good tone and not overdo the distortion is :wub:

One thing I noticed though, is that the click or block track on "Countdown to Death" is off. It's definitely ahead of the other tracks. Just slightly at the beginning, and then it seems to get worse after a while. It's probably because a click is sharp and short - it lands instantly. But the other sounds on this track are a little more rounded, so it takes a moment before the accented part of their sound lands. That makes the click sound early. I think a short delay on the click would improve that.

Great project though, I really like it!
LOL_DUDE

Post by LOL_DUDE »

Zydomus wrote:Everything about the pack is rigorous except I've noticed a minor flaw with one of the songs; and I probably wouldn't have noticed it had I not loaded up "Inferno of Blood" using NERVE.wad for GzDoom from my BFG Edition files.

Basically, I had compared the Seemingly HQ version of the song "In the Dark" which is used in "Inferno of Blood" from the No Rest for the Living campaign. (which is also used in Map 06) to the lower quality variants that are used in maps 12 and 24.. and apparently, the higher quality version of the song isn't being loaded into maps "12" and "24" as opposed to the higher quality one used in the NRFTL campaign, and Map 06 in general. that is my only nitpick I have, and I hope that you might still be able to fix it! :|
Yeah, I've been having that same problem, too. So, I checked out the files, and discovered that the cause was the files being merely misnamed. In doom2mus.pk3, the files for the two duplicates of "In the Dark" were named "d_the_da2.ogg" and "d_the_da3.ogg", when they should've been "d_theda2.ogg" and "d_theda3.ogg". I made a new PK3 that corrects those file names, and now the high quality song plays on all the levels it should! You can download doom2mus_fix.pk3, though you do need to use it in conjunction with doom2mus.pk3, since it only contains the fixed files for "In the Dark".

Side note, I've found that the TNT: Evilution pack doesn't work when used with Doom Combined. I've found that this is because TNT's music overwrites Doom II: Hell on Earth's, so Doom Combined renames all of TNT's music files so they don't conflict. I ended up going through the process of renaming all of the files in tntmus.pk3 so they would replace the renamed TNT tracks and not Doom II's, and am putting it up for download here as tntmus_dc.pk3, in case anyone else also uses Doom Combined and wants to have this remastered music for TNT in it.

If you see this, Shane, I ask that you possibly fix the file names in doom2mus.pk3 and offer tntmus_dc.pk3 as an alternate download on the main post.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Wait... is the wrong track playing for Plutonia Map11? Shouldn't D_STLKS2 be replaced with the same track as D_BUNNY?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”