ZOMBIES - Invasion of the Living Dead (Update - 11/05/18)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AstroCreep

ZOMBIES - Invasion of the Living Dead (Update - 11/05/18)

Post by AstroCreep »

This is a short expansion for ZOMBIES: Extreme Epidemic Edition. This basically is an invasion-style mod. Aside from various fixes on the original mod this also has

20 levels, visiting even more familiar locations from the Living Dead movies, plus a few extra
9 new weapons. Hack up zombies with a machete, or torch them with a flamethrower (hint: the larger weapons are well hidden)
Even more movie music (optional)

This was made with Zandronum and multiplayer in mind but works great in GZDoom
In order for the mod to function correctly, please disable autoaim, enable crouching and jumping, item respawn, weapons stay and double ammo (zandronum only)
Spoiler: Changelog
Spoiler: Known Bugs
Spoiler: SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler: CREDITS
DOWNLOADS
ZOMBIES: Invasion of the Living Dead
ZOMBIES: Extreme Epidemic Edition (Required to run this mod)
HD Music Pack (Not Required, but HIGHLY recommended)
ModDB Page

Command line example
gzdoom -file zombies-eee-v2.pk3 zombies-iotld-v3.wad zombies-ogg.pk3
Last edited by AstroCreep on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Korell

Re: ZOMBIES - Invasion of the Living Dead

Post by Korell »

In case this helps anyone, for the items respawn, weapons stay and double ammo, the GZDoom gameplay settings can be set (for the duration of the session) within the Gameplay Options menu. They can also be called from within a GZDoom command line by launching the mod with +set dmflags 16388 +set dmflags2 64. For example:

Code: Select all

START gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file zombies-eee-v2.pk3 zombies-ogg.pk3 zombies-iotld.wad +set dmflags 16388 +set dmflags2 64
Note that for items respawn and weapons stay, but with no double ammo, the values are +set dmflags 16388 +set dmflags2 0.
Last edited by Korell on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I really like this! Ever since I played the original TC, I've been wanting more content for it, and this has definitely scratched that itch. Although, a few things bugged me about this.

-ammo is much too plentiful. It's to the point where I can just rely on the M-16 99% of the time. Health is also in great supply

-the maps can get tedious. After exploring the location for the first 2 waves, it just boils down to mowing down the hordes with the M-16 and kiting them. It gets a little boring in all honesty, but I'm sure it's more fun with more people

-the M-16 is super overpowered in these maps. In the original TC, the M-16 was kinda like the chaingun from Wolfenstein 3D. You horded ammo for it and whipped it out in dangerous situations so you could mow down the opposition. But in this, the ammo is so plentiful, that there's never a reason to use any other weapon except maybe the explosive ones

-the new weapons kinda...clash with the old ones. The flamethrower in particular. This is pretty minor, but doomguy's hairy arms with brown gloves being on a couple of the weapons really clash with the sprites of the other ones. The visual style of the flamethrower also clashes pretty bad with the style of the other guns, in my opinion

And that's all I got for now! Criticisms aside, I really had fun with this, and look forward to where this goes! Keep up the good work!
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I kept the ammo count high because this was designed with multiplayer in mind. Didn’t want there to be too little either if there’s were like 8+ players per map. I agree with your statement about clashing weapons and thought about changing them a bit. But schmeh maybe in a later update. Honestly these are my first actual released Doom levels and i was pretty much trying to teach myself how to use the map editors. Had a blast making the notld farmhouse level and the return of the living dead level. (On a side note I considered replacing the zombies on the rotld level with fast ones that yell “Braiiiins!” But once again I got lazy lmao)
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I had a feeling that's why the ammo was so plentiful. Makes sense. Honestly, I think the levels were the best part. They have that "90's TC" kind of flair, and it's quite charming. They're a little small, though
TDG

Post by TDG »

Is it normal that no new ammo appears? I am in the fourth or fifth wave now and I have been very conservative but I am starting to run out.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Set your gameplay options to item respawn weapons stay jumping and crouching enabled and autoaim off. All are located in the options menu labeled “gameplay options”. Or you can use the command line options Korell posted earlier. (If you are starting a server in Zandronum it is also recommended to turn double ammo on)
TDG

Post by TDG »

Thank you, will try that out. I had to cheat in order to get extra ammo but I think that rather breaks the idea of the game.
BTW, there is a box of shells in the studio that can't be picked up
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Weird. Where exactly?
TDG

Post by TDG »

In that room overlooking the studio (not the side rooms the one looking directly at the stage)
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

It seems to be working for me. The shells on the ledge on the left hand side, right?
TDG

Post by TDG »

Yes. Odd, I could not pick them up and I had room for ammo.
Will give it another try now that I have activated the respawn items option.

Edit: I can only collect the bullets when I jump on the object on which they are placed.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Yeah apparently I put it too far back so you gotta jump up there. I’m working on updates so I’ll add it to the list
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

This is a complain about EEE to be honest , but there is a way to make the zombies to have colission ? Because I kinda like the idea of the hordes , and spawning them that way seems logical to me, but when I noticed that I could just simply go running through them without any danger whatsoever , well ... They stopped being a threat and started to feel like they were just sprites moving towards me. :/
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

The spawner has issues because they were spawning on top of each other and couldn’t move. I suppose you could somehow offset the spawners a bit but I’m still learning all the tricks and stuff lol. since iotld is based off of supreme invasion and works differently I could probably do some decorate actor replacements and see how that goes but that won’t do much for eee alone. I have a bug to fix with the zombies anyway as it seems the ones that raise from the dead don’t like to go over stairs or cliffs. But I’m trying as hard as I can not to touch eee because if I try to fix it I’m going full throttle and getting rid of the dehacked completely and that’s gonna be a lot of work replacing actors and such

I think I have addressed most of the issues brought up here, including the clashing weapon sprites. I’m going through the levels and fixing all of the little inconsistencies and quirks I see, plus I’m making one more level to make it an even 20. Actually got the bulk of that done this morning lmao

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”