Can't associate ini files with Notepad++ in Win 10

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
SiFi270

Can't associate ini files with Notepad++ in Win 10

Post by SiFi270 »

Split from the 3.6.0 release thread.
SiFi270 wrote:When I first used this version, all my key bindings were gone and the default .ini file was a mess with no line breaks. Loading a different .ini doesn't seem to affect the keys but still has the latter problem.

EDIT: The keys thing only seems to have affected my controls for the Doom-based IWADs, and others like Heretic and HacX are how I remember them.
Rachael wrote:You need a text editor which supports Linux-style line-endings. Notepad will no longer work for this purpose.

Even Wordpad will work.

My computer's being really stubborn about that for some reason. I've tried changing the default program for that format in three different ways, and every time Windows has completely ignored me and stuck with Notepad. For the time being I guess I'll keep a shortcut to Wordpad in the same directory and drag .ini files onto it.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Can't associate ini files with Notepad++ in Win 10

Post by Matt »

I had a similar problem with trying to associate .xls files with LibreOffice before, but it seemed to go away when I updated LO and selected the format in the associate-files prompt. Maybe reinstall Notepad++ and see if it can be set from there?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Try right-clicking on it and selecting "Open With..." or if that pops open a menu use "Select Program..." within that menu.

When the pop-up comes up, select Wordpad, and make sure "Always use this program" is selected.

Your mileage may vary, but that's always worked for me.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

That's one of the "three different ways" I was referring to in my post above, the other two being right-clicking an .ini file and selecting properties, and through the settings accessed via the start menu.

Installing the latest Notepad++ and using associating it with .ini files from its settings menu also didn't work.

I found someone who appears to be having a similar problem and the first reply offers an explanation, but not a solution.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The Windows 10 lock down on changing file associations has caused me no end of problems (unable to easily change associations, unable to make changes via some old programs that used to provide an internal option, wrong/inappropriate icons allocated to file types) and provided me very little in the way of advantages (I have still had programs/installs change associations in ways that I did not want).

[edit] I've found NirSoft's File Types manager good for fixing some of the association problems that I mentioned. Maybe it will allow you (SiFi270) to change you association. The interface is a bit clunky/dated but it does the job for me. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html [/edit]
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I tried it. It said the default program for .ini files was Notepad++, apparently not realizing that that had already been overruled. Trying to change it to that or Wordpad just told me access was denied, even when I ran the program as an administrator.
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

In the past running software as admin on Windows 10 was required for the changes made from within it to file associations to stick. I dunno how it's now though.

Return to “Technical Issues”