[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Re: [v0.5.2] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Xaser wrote: I've never really considered it since D44M's SSG didn't have any weapon mods either (just incremental upgrades & mastery, which ARGENT doesn't add either of in general). I'd not wish to hard-[No] the idea, but I wouldn't be sure what to mod in and the project's gotten a little scope-creep'd as it is. Hope that's not too disappointing to hear.

[Of course, I also did explicitly state I wasn't going to do grenades/etc., and look at us now... ;]
It's alright if the SSG won't be upgraded. Just in case you changed your mind, I wouldn't mind an upgrade for the pistol and BFG as well. :twisted:
Machalite

Post by Machalite »

I'm experiencing a bug with ARGENT 0.5.2: if I use an upgrade kit to give myself a backpack, quit altogether, and then load any save made after that point, it causes the screen to constantly pulse white. Unfortunately, it's too blinding to be played through. I can't make it stop short of loading a save prior to getting the backpack. I'm using 64-bit GZDoom 3.2 revision 502 at the moment.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Machalite wrote:I'm experiencing a bug with ARGENT 0.5.2: if I use an upgrade kit to give myself a backpack, quit altogether, and then load any save made after that point, it causes the screen to constantly pulse white. Unfortunately, it's too blinding to be played through. I can't make it stop short of loading a save prior to getting the backpack. I'm using 64-bit GZDoom 3.2 revision 502 at the moment.
I encountered this too (having recently tried the mod out). I found I could make it stop by using another upgrade kit (and selecting something, you can't just close it with the use key), although the next time I loaded a save game it would start again and I'd need to use another kit to make it stop again.
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

^
Me too. I thought I'd give it a try and I get the same result. I'm using the latest DRD devbuild of GZD with 0.5.2 Argent.
Xaser

Re: [v0.5.3] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by Xaser »

Confirmed and figured out what's causing it -- need to figure out a different way of handling something.

[EDIT] Got it, and released v0.5.3, fixing the issue. As a word of caution, the "gametic" global isn't serialized to the save file; if you need it to be persisted (and you probably do), use "level.totaltime" instead.

Extreme thanks to Marrub for suggesting the fix!
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Some minor things I've noticed:

- The sprites for the BFG and the remote detonater "module" on the rocketlauncher do not react to sector brightness.
- The chainsaw stops running if alternate fire is pressed. If held as the "attack" animation is ending, the sound loop of the chainsaw running stops after a little while.
LukasG2004
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by LukasG2004 »

Maybe add some fancy animations/brightmaps similar to that of D4T?
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

m8f reporting: support for Argent is added to Weapon Selection Menu.

Also, as menu ZScript API is now available, now it is possible to mimic Doom 2016 weapon menu.

And a minor nitpick: fist makes holes in walls.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Thanks! Glad this made it on the radar. :D

While I'm here, apologies for the lack of progress as of late. It's been on the backburner since I've been focusing on Certain Other Projects(tm), but I'm hoping to get a significant update + release done as part of my "finish everything ever in 2018" campaign. It's not forgotten, at any rate.
YvonneG

Post by YvonneG »

So... any chance for a zandronum release? I'd really like to play multiplayer with this mod. :D
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

No chance until Zandronum catches up with modern GZDoom, feature-wise. This mod is a bit too Knee-Deep in ZScript at this point for any sort of conversion to be feasible. Sorry there. :(
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Out of interest, is there any plan for the mod to occassionally use things other than Backpacks for Mod spawning? Might be nice if armour drops were occasionally used (say 3-5% of the time) because I find some MegaWads and heck some of the id levels have a serious lack of backpacks in general, whilst others are swimming in them. And I know you can buy backpacks, but it might be nice to occasionally just see them on the field and have the choice made for you.

Same for the Minigun and the Gauss. Unless you're playing a serious slaughterwad or Nuts or something, you're not likely to see too many cybies or spidies commonly (+glitch of them not spawning, see below). Might be a nice plan to have, again, a small chance that a Chaingun spawn or Plasma spawn is replaced?

Overall, however, thanks alot for Argent, its my favorite interpretation of the D2016 weapons in Classic, as its so no-nonsense (and I don't personally like the idea of adding the multiplayer functions like the extra weapons and demon runes, not to mention I can use this with Shades of Doom or other Monster setups rather than 2016 monsters!)

EDIT: Also, some glitches:
>> If you have a backpack, and pick up a single rocket, you actually get 2 rockets. I'm guessing backpack multiplies ammo drops by 2? Seems like boxes really fill you up quicker at that point after all.
>> Cyberdemon and Spidey can often not drop any Gauss or Minigun. Nothing. In a 2/3's playthrough of Legacy of Heroes, I killed two cybers and two spiders, but got neither (nor a BFG for that matter despite there being BFG cells, though I'm not sure if those are secrets in that WAD or something...). Not sure if this has anything to do with me using Shades of Doom (three of the afformentioned had different models, but one regular cyberdemon spawned among these, and this didn't drop anything either.). Eventually used IDFA to grab them after three bosses since I figured they should have dropped by that point. Its probably Shades of Doom because I was an idiot and didn't realise there was a patch. Derp.
>> Micromissiles from the AR stick to their targets, warhead first, and stay there for a few seconds before actually exploding. Hilarious and not especially problematic, but a glitch nontheless.
>> Gauss Siege-Mode activation animation cannot be aborted mid-deploy. Probably can't do anything about that, but fairly sure you can do this in D2016 (and often do, since your situation often changes and you suddenly cannot afford to go slow due to incoming shots etc.).
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

Im still waiting for Burst Rifle and Vortex Rifle my favorite weapon ever, please can you add these weapons if new version arrived. Just remind me later :D

#GOD_BLESS
Edit: Reaper instead of Burst Rifle
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

YasuoProjectX wrote:Im still waiting for Burst Rifle and Vortex Rifle my favorite weapon ever, please can you add these weapons if new version arrived. Just remind me later :D

#GOD_BLESS
Not sure if they will, since they weren't in the single player. Part of why I like this is that it doesn't have the multiplayer weapons, thats what D4D is for.
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

eharper256 wrote:
YasuoProjectX wrote:Im still waiting for Burst Rifle and Vortex Rifle my favorite weapon ever, please can you add these weapons if new version arrived. Just remind me later :D

#GOD_BLESS
Not sure if they will, since they weren't in the single player. Part of why I like this is that it doesn't have the multiplayer weapons, thats what D4D is for.
It is on the roadmap, albeit quite far off in the future.
Xaser wrote:v2.0.0: The Expansion, featuring the multiplayer-exclusive weapons (e.g. Static Rifle, Lightning Gun, etc.) included, with mod fires! Got some cool plans for these post-release... once the universe is rebooted, of course.
It (should) also be a simple svar to not have them spawn if desired. Far be it from me to speak on that though.

Anyways nice to hear that this isn't dead :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”