Doctor Who: Darkness Of The Daleks

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gideon020

Re: Doctor Who: Darkness Of The Daleks

Post by Gideon020 »

I have never seen a Doctor Who TC or Mod. I have high hopes for this. :D
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Thanks. Stick around for more updates coming real soon. The game now has Time War Dalek Soldiers (Bronze), Time War Dalek Scientists (Bronze with Blue spheres and dome) and Skaro Daleks (Silver with blue spheres.) All digitized and edited into suitable sprites.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The new Daleks look good.

Davros approves.

Look at his happy little face. (He's smiling on the inside.)
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Hahaha, Love it.

The Daleks do their thing here in this screenshot. They are on the attack! Video demo coming later today.
Attachments
timewardaleksattack.jpg
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Here is a preview of Darkness of the Daleks new Dalek stop-motion monster daleks. Four variants. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by Hidden Hands on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Unfortunately, my only feedback is that I can't see the video.
An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: g_wXfTQTtI0Wn-SU)
I also went directly to the Youtube page for the video and it still didn't work.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Enjay wrote:Unfortunately, my only feedback is that I can't see the video.
An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: g_wXfTQTtI0Wn-SU)
I also went directly to the Youtube page for the video and it still didn't work.
That's really strange. It works fine for me on Youtube, but it wont play on here for me either (though I get a different error code). I'll see if I can fix it.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

TimeWar Daleks had to be redone, due to angle issues. Now joining them are the Imperial Guard Daleks.

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Looking good - but they do look far more photographed than their surroundings which are obviously much more pixel-art-like. I'm not sure if you are able to do something about that or not.

BTW, I read your intro and the whole "zero Doctor" thing but, as something of a Whovian
(evidence posted some time ago...
Spoiler:
)
I am struggling to accept The Doctor running around with shotguns and so on seeing as how "no guns, not now or ever" has always been very much part of the Doctor's approach to life (indeed, it was reiterated again in the newest episode this weekend). However, I also get that this is a FPS mod and it would be a bit rubbish without guns. It's your mod, of course, but I think I'd have gone for making the protagonist someone else in the Who world (either already existing, or completely made up) rather than The Doctor; someone who can be nice and kick-ass without the Doctor's no guns legacy.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Enjay wrote:Looking good - but they do look far more photographed than their surroundings which are obviously much more pixel-art-like. I'm not sure if you are able to do something about that or not.

BTW, I read your intro and the whole "zero Doctor" thing but, as something of a Whovian
(evidence posted some time ago...

I am struggling to accept The Doctor running around with shotguns and so on seeing as how "no guns, not now or ever" has always been very much part of the Doctor's approach to life (indeed, it was reiterated again in the newest episode this weekend). However, I also get that this is a FPS mod and it would be a bit rubbish without guns. It's your mod, of course, but I think I'd have gone for making the protagonist someone else in the Who world (either already existing, or completely made up) rather than The Doctor; someone who can be nice and kick-ass without the Doctor's no guns legacy.
It's interesting you should mention that because I've been uncomfortable with that situation too. I have been considering making a while unique Timelord character from scratch in fact.

The digitised daleks are a much higher resolution that doom monsters. I wanted them the same, but making them look good at that scale is proving difficult. :/

Also, love that collection. you have a nice cyberman army. Here s a few of my collection. I need more cybermen.
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Very nice collection indeed. For some reason, I've always had a thing about collecting robot (and robot-like) figures but "flesh" figures have never appealed so much. Even back in the day, my original star Wars figures were droids and characters completely covered by armour. So, my Who collection is much the same. So the only "flesh" one I have is a Eccleston Doctor that came with some other figures that I bought.

I see that you have a few of the newer, smaller 3.75" figures. I wish they'd kept going with 5.5" ones (or whatever the sizes officially are) because I can't get the newest style of cyberman in a size that matches the rest of my army. :?

Aaaanyway, personally, I think a character other than the Doctor would be a good idea for the protagonist. IMO, it wouldn't even need to be a timelord. A Torchwood agent, Captain Jack or Jake Simmonds (from Pete's World resistance) -like character would work IMO (in fact, that would be an ideal opportunity to have different player classes for your game). It could also mean that The Doctor could make an appearance as an NPC at some point (depending on how involved you want to make the storyline aspect of it, of course).

BTW, it isn't just that the sprites are higher resolution; it's that they look like photographs whereas the walls, floors and everything else looks drawn. But there probably isn't much that can be done about that (not easily anyway).
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Enjay wrote:Very nice collection indeed. For some reason, I've always had a thing about collecting robot (and robot-like) figures but "flesh" figures have never appealed so much. Even back in the day, my original star Wars figures were droids and characters completely covered by armour. So, my Who collection is much the same. So the only "flesh" one I have is a Eccleston Doctor that came with some other figures that I bought.

I see that you have a few of the newer, smaller 3.75" figures. I wish they'd kept going with 5.5" ones (or whatever the sizes officially are) because I can't get the newest style of cyberman in a size that matches the rest of my army. :?

Aaaanyway, personally, I think a character other than the Doctor would be a good idea for the protagonist. IMO, it wouldn't even need to be a timelord. A Torchwood agent, Captain Jack or Jake Simmonds (from Pete's World resistance) -like character would work IMO (in fact, that would be an ideal opportunity to have different player classes for your game). It could also mean that The Doctor could make an appearance as an NPC at some point (depending on how involved you want to make the storyline aspect of it, of course).

BTW, it isn't just that the sprites are higher resolution; it's that they look like photographs whereas the walls, floors and everything else looks drawn. But there probably isn't much that can be done about that (not easily anyway).
I'm working on redoing all the Daleks yet again - I'm not going to base my enemies on ranks from the show, I'm going to use unique ideas based on the 1960s Marx Daleks. I'm doing this because this way, I wont have to worry about certain ranks being accurate to the show. The MARX Dalek toys were unique like that.

Here's a sprite sheet I'm working on. I'm missing the A4 frames though as I don't have MARX dalek to base this on. I'm having to use photos from google or ebay. Can anyone help sprite the A4 angle? If not, I'm ordering a Marx Dalek but it'll be weeks before I can start on it then.

Due to the method I had to use, the angles aren't perfect either... sigh.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I guess that you are way too far down the sprite line by now but did you ever consider going the model route? I think they can work quite well (provided you can get (or make) the models). I had this New Paradigm model lying around* (and I have no idea how many more models in a suitable formate might exist out there - I know that there were some MD2 player models for Quake2 at one point), so I just thought I'd give it a go. It's just a proof of concept so it doesn't have any animations, or an attack and the death is just a placeholder explosion too but it works reasonably well IMO.

*I think it came from the BBC free game that was available on the BBC website for a while.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Enjay wrote:I guess that you are way too far down the sprite line by now but did you ever consider going the model route? I think they can work quite well (provided you can get (or make) the models). I had this New Paradigm model lying around (and I have no idea how many more models in a suitable formate might exist out there - I know that there were some MD2 player models for Quake2 at one point), so I just thought I'd give it a go. It's just a proof of concept so it doesn't have any animations, or an attack and the death is just a placeholder explosion too but it works reasonably well IMO.

Now THAT looks fantastic. I've seen a lot of people doing full 3D stuff like this but I honestly have no idea how to pull it off. Where to get models? How to insert them into a working wad? I feel I need to relearn the entire thing. Unless its simple and I'm not aware of it?

How would one use models like this? They look much better because I'm having some serious issues getting sprites to work well. Plus, the models lamps seem to only light up when they speak, which is appropriate. And how would I animate them? Deaths etc. I'm not familiar with using models. But would love to try it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It is a bit of a learning curve and my skills are definitely at the basic end of the scale. As far as using them in game goes, it's not dramatically different to writing the decorate for a sprite-based actor (in fact, it's almost identical because there needs to be a sprite based actor written first and then you allocate the model to the frames of the sprite actor).

The tricky part would be getting suitable models if you aren't up to making them (I know I'm not good enough to make decent looking ones). However, if you even manage to find a static model with no animations in a suitable format, with Daleks having suck a limited range of movement, animating them would be relatively easy.

I've had a quick google and most of the models that I found quickly are far too detailed to be converted to the MD3 format (and therefore are not suitable for game models). You need to get low-poly models from somewhere (as I said, I know that there were some Quake2 ones but chances are they won't be great).

As for the flashing lights, I just used two skins and two brightmaps and used the brighter one when I wanted them to speak - much as you would with a sprite.

If you're at all interested, here's the test pk3 from the above video.

http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/ ... ekTest.pk3

Like I said, very rough and ready.

[Edit] and after a bit of a poke around teh intarwebs, all I have some up with in low poly format are:

This very low poly Quake 2 model (which would be easy to skin in a variety of colours)
The "bumps" are not even on the model, they are just flat pictures on the skin.

and this "spider Dalek".
Which actually has a fairly cool walking animation already done, but it would need a slightly more complicated DECORATE walking state to accommodate that.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”