ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Matt »

When I first read the prologue to Shattered Starlight one of my first thoughts was "Farah is magical girl Doomguy" (and also "This is the greatest fucking webcomic I've seen in a long time" and I'm pretty sure those thoughts were related)...
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

wildweasel wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote: I don't exactly understand why it has to be particularly a mod with girls though, but alright. I mean, magical mods are by itself are extremely rare, especially the ones that are based of pure magic and lack of any other means of attack, if any at all.
It's not just that the attacks are all magic based; the Magical Girl concept has a lot of specific conventions tied to it. Magical Girls are to Mages, as Power Rangers (or similar suited stuntmen) are to regular ordinary martial artists. It's all in the flavor.
I'm not familiar with this "magica girl" genre\stigma\whatever, and why it can be same with "magical boy". It did really confuse me as to why it necessarily has to be a "girl" for him, although I named one mod that has female character as classes and they have some kind of supernatural power to them. Why it has to be of specific gender to be of specific concept\playstyle? The gender should means nothing in vidya.

The point still stands, there are barely any magical mods at all, if any. I'd like if there were more, especially on pure magic and no stuff like martial arts nor weapons, and didn't just fell to any of the fictional category like "power ranger" or "magical girl" or whatever.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:The point still stands, there are barely any magical mods at all, if any. I'd like if there were more, especially on pure magic and no stuff like martial arts nor weapons, and didn't just fell to any of the fictional category like "power ranger" or "magical girl" or whatever.
Okay, I'm not disputing that there aren't a lot of mods that have magical anything, but have you never heard of Sailor Moon? Because that, I assume, is the flavor they're going for up there, not just "it has magic in it," but more of the "young girl transforms into a Dealer of Justice, to Punish the Evildoers in the Name of the Moon" or however that goes. Again, it's all about the flavor.

You want a mod that's just "here's some spells", feel free to make one.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:I'm not familiar with this "magica girl" genre\stigma\whatever, and why it can be same with "magical boy". It did really confuse me as to why it necessarily has to be a "girl" for him, although I named one mod that has female character as classes and they have some kind of supernatural power to them. Why it has to be of specific gender to be of specific concept\playstyle? The gender should means nothing in vidya.

The point still stands, there are barely any magical mods at all, if any. I'd like if there were more, especially on pure magic and no stuff like martial arts nor weapons, and didn't just fell to any of the fictional category like "power ranger" or "magical girl" or whatever.
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Why it has to be of specific gender to be of specific concept\playstyle?
I don't know, maybe you should answer your own damn question here. This shouldn't even be an issue.

In fact - just drop it. I will not ask you again.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

I've definitely had the idea of something that's strongly mahou shoujo with a dash of Final Fantasy X-2 splashed in, where you play as a girl that has a different transformation and fighting style with every "weapon." It's not something I've seriously approached, though, because it'd require resources up the ass. And it wouldn't really be right without someone with a really anime voice shouting out "HENSHIN" and various attack names, but I don't really have an anime voice ( or at least, the right anime voice ) nor the money to really toss around for something like that.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I say, what a magical view i'm seeing right now...
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Here's my latest idea. I don't want to make it fade away in case i lose motivation for it. I also need to work it a lot before i get it into pratice.

It's a monster pack called "Checkmate". The thing is simple:

Doom monsters with chess-ish rankings. Each of these rankings (pawn, knight, rook, bishop...) affect their stats and attacks, and will be represented by a symbol above the monster head; say, a pawn cacodemon fires a projectile that's roughly similar to the original. A rook cacodemon can fire a projectile that explodes on a "+" pattern, launching 4 more projectiles. A Bishop acts the same, but the projectile explodes on a "X" pattern. The projectiles will be stronger according to the ranking too. Things included on the plan are also:

- Capablanca rankings (Chancellor and Archbishop)
- All monsters with Black and White versions of themselves (With Black variants taking more time to act, given the chess rules. Either that could be achieved by a slower A_Look time or a Bigger A_FaceTarget during the attack states).

I haven't noted down too much. If anybody's interested on details, i am open to discussion :)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Lol. If a 'pawn' finds it's way to the level exit, it turns into a QUEEN, and comes back to rek you.

Could a novel concept, anyway. :D
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Or, a "king" could have a rook mob around to protect him, if so he desires :D
el armadillo2

Post by el armadillo2 »

I have an idea for a Heretic mapset where you play as a Disciple of D'Sparil, with Sidhe and Dragons (as a reference to Guncaster) as enemies.
TheSeventh

Post by TheSeventh »

GAA1992 wrote:...It's a monster pack called "Checkmate". The thing is simple:

Doom monsters with chess-ish rankings....
The first thing that came to mind was some sort of limiter on an actor's routine based on a "turn" where it can take damage and assign targets outside of it's turn but cannot attack or move until allowed to do so (I'm thinking a periodic map script on a loop) with two separate factions performing on opposite turns. This would lead to massive waves of projectiles firing from one color or team all at once only for all of the units to pause and the enemy to do the same.

EDIT: I went off to read another thread and had an epiphany. You might be able to achieve the effect I'm referring to by having a constant timefreeze active and switching the monsters on a particular team's NOTIMEFREEZE flag through a script and reswitching it when it's not their turn.

It would be like some sort of odd ZDoomWars chess.

Personally I've been tossing around the idea of doing a Kirby style doom mod with the ability to absorb enemy's abilities by eating them. Using DamageFactor I would then have some sort of rock-paper-scissors set up to give the player an edge on bosses if they have the right ability selected. I've also been toying around with a complementary idea of a health system based on inventory items (or just a variable in zscript) which on exhaustion just moves(would look like death) the player back to a checkpoint dark-souls style.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

The game you want to look at is Paradroid. That had a really interesting system where you take over enemies as well as just destroying them. It would be cool to take it to another level whereby you steal abilities and weapon powers as well.
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Assassin of Purity »

GAA1992 wrote:Here's my latest idea. I don't want to make it fade away in case i lose motivation for it. I also need to work it a lot before i get it into pratice.

It's a monster pack called "Checkmate". The thing is simple:

Doom monsters with chess-ish rankings. Each of these rankings (pawn, knight, rook, bishop...) affect their stats and attacks, and will be represented by a symbol above the monster head; say, a pawn cacodemon fires a projectile that's roughly similar to the original. A rook cacodemon can fire a projectile that explodes on a "+" pattern, launching 4 more projectiles. A Bishop acts the same, but the projectile explodes on a "X" pattern. The projectiles will be stronger according to the ranking too. Things included on the plan are also:

- Capablanca rankings (Chancellor and Archbishop)
- All monsters with Black and White versions of themselves (With Black variants taking more time to act, given the chess rules. Either that could be achieved by a slower A_Look time or a Bigger A_FaceTarget during the attack states).

I haven't noted down too much. If anybody's interested on details, i am open to discussion :)
Sounds like a very interesting project.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

GAA1992 wrote:...It's a monster pack called "Checkmate"...
Seems like a pretty neat idea. However, you'd probably want the rook to have something that makes it more powerful than the bishop, as in chess that's a thing.
Damage would be the simplest way, but maybe you could change things up. For example, it would be pretty cool if a rook demon intermittently emitted cross shapes.
Apart from that, this sounds like it would be really fun and hectic :)

With white and black monsters, maybe you could add give black monsters more health as well, since black plays slightly more defensive.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Huh, guess i should be heremore often. I didn't knew you guys would like the idea!
TheSeventh wrote: The first thing that came to mind was some sort of limiter on an actor's routine based on a "turn" where it can take damage and assign targets outside of it's turn but cannot attack or move until allowed to do so (I'm thinking a periodic map script on a loop) with two separate factions performing on opposite turns. This would lead to massive waves of projectiles firing from one color or team all at once only for all of the units to pause and the enemy to do the same.

EDIT: I went off to read another thread and had an epiphany. You might be able to achieve the effect I'm referring to by having a constant timefreeze active and switching the monsters on a particular team's NOTIMEFREEZE flag through a script and reswitching it when it's not their turn.

It would be like some sort of odd ZDoomWars chess.
Siddoyle/Josh madesomething that KINDA works like this! Maybe he'll improve it in the future, but who knows. The idea is excellent,anyway.
Assassin of Purity wrote: Sounds like a very interesting project.
Thanks! Hope to start it one day!
Tartlman wrote: Seems like a pretty neat idea. However, you'd probably want the rook to have something that makes it more powerful than the bishop, as in chess that's a thing.
Damage would be the simplest way, but maybe you could change things up. For example, it would be pretty cool if a rook demon intermittently emitted cross shapes.
Apart from that, this sounds like it would be really fun and hectic :)

With white and black monsters, maybe you could add give black monsters more health as well, since black plays slightly more defensive.
Or even, two different pawns could fight themselves often, due to the "en passant" rule (dunno the real name).

Now you guys got me thinking, wouldn't it be too lame if monsters like the Cybie and the Spider Mastermind had lower rankings? Shouldn't they be "King" and "Queen" by deafult? On the same vein, given the limitations of the possessed marines (attack-related), shouldn't they be more pawns than anything else?

This gives me food for thoughts. :p

Return to “General”