No gun? No sprites? READ THIS! [AMD+OpenGL]

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: No gun? No sprites? READ THIS!

Post by Rachael »

That, or someone annoyed and pestered them enough. It probably didn't make anyone at their firm feel any better when I publicly pointed out on a subreddit that was dedicated to them that NVidia, Mesa, and Intel all never had this problem.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The pestering surely would help putting some pressure on them.
But as a developer I can tell you that "software xyz does not work" is a lot less likely to get resolved quickly than someone saying "the compiler optimizes everything out that gets referenced by feature abc." The first one will require extensive debugging but the second one is concrete enough that it may get solved in a few minutes rather than days.
Last edited by Graf Zahl on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That is very true. I have first hand experience enough with that to fully agree, there.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:It probably didn't make anyone at their firm feel any better when I publicly pointed out on a subreddit that was dedicated to them that NVidia, Mesa, and Intel all never had this problem.
Can you post a link? I'd really like to read what gets said over there... ;)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Can you post a link? I'd really like to read what gets said over there... ;)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9 ... 93/e75mrt4
That's a link to my post. I'm fairly certain that you can reach the rest of the subreddit from there.

Post by Guest »

AMD are generally on top of driver updates. At times faster than Nvidia even. I'm glad that this didn't fall through the cracks though. Well done everyone and AMD.
Lycanite

Post by Lycanite »

Wooo! It's fixed in 18.10.1!
underskyzx

Post by underskyzx »

is it really fixed? can more people confirm?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, several people have already confirmed in several places that the latest driver is ok.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

It seems I just have constant problems with everything I try lately... I downloaded GZDOOM 3.5 so I can use the weather effects, but now all the sprites are completely absent. Software Renderer True Color is a complete laggy mess as soon as it sees a voxel so OPEN GL is the only thing that works, but it has absolutely no sprites.

Last time I downloaded a driver update, it killed my computer entirely. If I do this can I be assured it will not ruin my laptop like it did to my last one
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sorry but we can't help you if you can't update your driver.

This is a very clear you can't have your cake and eat it too situation. This one's WAAAAAY out of our control, there's nothing we can do.

As for installing with confidence, all I can suggest is getting a techie friend to stand by your computer as you update your driver, buy them a cup of coffee or something for the duration it takes. Don't go thinking your computer is lost if you screw it up - it's not - but - you have to know how to enter safe mode, do system restore, etc.

Return to “Technical Issues”