Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: Ashes 2063 TC - (Release Ep1 Pg 54) V1.05

Post by Vostyok »

Have you downloaded the V1.05 maps? You previously had to activate a generator you find earlier in the map. The new version should light the gas without the generator in the other room running. If not, you'll have missed the vital switch.
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

Question for you; have you thought of adding footstep sfx? You've already got the great ambience sounds going on, I feel like some good footsteps, especially ones that would echo in the long, dark tunnels of the sub-caverns, would add to the experience.
BR0K3N

Post by BR0K3N »

Hi. I am having a problem trying to start up the game. It says:
'Script error, "Ashes2063Maps.wad:DECORATE" line 74: Bad syntax'
Can anyone help me resolve this issue?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

What version of the source port are you using? And have you made any alterations or are running it with anything else? I've tried not to use anything too cutting edge, but it's always recommended to use the newest version of G/Qzdoom.

Edit: I will check the decorate when I am in front of my laptop to see where the problem is starting.
RTheM

Post by RTheM »

Have to say, don't like how the new (finally downloaded and started playing the new release) pipebombs work. I'd prefer they detonate on impact like before, because they way they work now doesn't make sense, unless Scavenger has a superhuman throwing arm because the enemies I throw a pipebomb against die from it hitting them, some even gibbing, all BEFORE the pipebomb actually explodes.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

That's.... not supposed to happen.

I must have forgot something there. I'll look into it.
BR0K3N

Post by BR0K3N »

Vostyok wrote:What version of the source port are you using? And have you made any alterations or are running it with anything else? I've tried not to use anything too cutting edge, but it's always recommended to use the newest version of G/Qzdoom.

Edit: I will check the decorate when I am in front of my laptop to see where the problem is starting.
I got it up and running in the latest version of QZDoom. For some reason GZDoom didn't work, maybe there was a mistake on my end. Anyways it runs just fine it just doesn't have any sound.I think it might be something on my end, idk. Other than the no sound thing I really like the mod. The style reminds me of Mad Max, Rage, and Fallout. I can see this mod getting popular. The youtuber Icarus Lives already did a video on it. I hope Gggmanlives does a video on it too. Anyways, keep up the good work. Can't wait for the next episodes, haven't finished episode 1 but I am really liking it so far.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Echelon5 wrote:Question for you; have you thought of adding footstep sfx? You've already got the great ambience sounds going on, I feel like some good footsteps, especially ones that would echo in the long, dark tunnels of the sub-caverns, would add to the experience.
I've been thinking about it. I might have to devise my own system, as the last time I used the regular Footsteps mod, footsteps still played when on the motorcycle, which felt.... very odd.

SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Sorry if I'm out of the loop, what is the bike for exactly? It doesn't really make the player go any faster than on foot and it's far more clunky than just running.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Well, apart from going over gaps better than jumping, not a great deal yet. It's mostly in there for thematic purpose. It's still a little faster than doomguy, but the controls mean you rarely want to push it. I'm coming up with a new method of doing it, and it'll have a bit more use next time, as it's going to get an upgrade.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

In my opinion the wall impact damage penalty should be removed. It makes the bike too risky and cumbersome to use. The limited controls and faster movement speed is a good enough balance.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Yeah it's the biggest complaint tbh. I'm going to change how impacts work and are triggered. I think it surprised people how aggressive the damage was.
wewers

Post by wewers »

Just replayed, and yeah the both handguns are terrible compared to the pump shotgun.

Once I reached the warehouse area I got spare 15 revolver ammo, 25 pistol ammo, and 25 shotgun shells. And shotguns shells are 1 hit kill compared to the handgun's 3 hit, which meant I actually had 5, 8 and 25 ammo respectively.

Shotgun da best.

I feel like revolver needs a big damage and slight firerate buff - more in line with a big .357 magnum revolver. Pistol is ok as is. And more ammodrops for both handguns, especially the crappier pistol.

Now that I tested the crowbar, and I do like it better. It's like a crappy chainsaw. Hold down normalfire to kill cannibals. The altfire can 1hit a pistol raider, but they always spawn in pairs or more, and the other guy gets immediately alerted once his friend dies, so it's not THAT much use.
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

I think the handguns are just fine. Of course they won't do as much damage as buckshot, they're not supposed to. IMO each weapon has distinct applications. I tend to use the revolver against 1 or 2 bandits, then switch to the glock when there's more than that. Shotgun is saved for cannibals and the mutant dudes, as well as the big guys with the napalm cannon. Rifle is saved almost exclusively for the psionic weirdo guys. Three shots and they're out.

Also quick suggestion: spent casings dropping out of the revolver when you reload?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

LIke I said before, revolver is getting a boost, i) to make it more viable and ii) to represent the scavenger getting more skilled with it. See, fluff justification as well :P

It's upgrade will further cement it's status as a reliable backup, which is what is it when all is said and done.

Oh, and yeah I'm already putting in spent casings getting discarded for that one.

Currently mapping at the moment. I want to add some more exploration, especially in city environments, as well as rewards for doing so. A lot of people have commented on the amount of dead ends in The City that felt like they should have led somewhere. Obviously, you're not going to be doing much exploring during a rad-storm, so episode 1 can be forgiven for that, but hopefully have more to do in episode 2, since things have calmed down a little.

A Little.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”