[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Pixel Eater »

Oh derp- it says so right in your signature :3:
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

a simple contribution for today: Some new doomguy hands on the same old Powerslave revolver. Hands by Johnny (Brutal Doom J), powerslave revolver edited from original sprites, god bless mirroring.

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now that looks original enough! :D
Clay

Post by Clay »

Nice sprite man!
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

It's unfortunate that Doomguy's hands are so burly and manly that all guns smaller than a handcannon looks tiny! :P
vólentiæn

Post by vólentiæn »

Lord Lothar wrote:
vólentiæn wrote:Black AK47 anyone?
Great job, one of the best AK for doom. Will you add reaload animation and centered sprites?
some time in the future hopefully
vólentiæn

Post by vólentiæn »

el armadillo2 wrote:
vólentiæn wrote:
Black AK47 anyone?
Black as in the color or the game?
the game
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Some Fallout stuff, angled because I say so ;)
Laser Rifle (no stock)
Laser Rifle (no stock)
LRFL.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Riot Shotgun
Riot Shotgun
RIOTA0.png (5.97 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Battlerifle
Battlerifle
BRFLA0.png (5 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ahh, yes. We really need some Fallout Sprites. I would like to see some custom mod weapon stuff!
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Nice rips!(I think, are these done from scratch?) What gun is that battle rifle sprite from?
REXMaster

Post by REXMaster »

simploo wrote:
REXMaster wrote:Who is it?
You must not play much DOOM if you don't recognize our lord, F L A M E B O I
Archvile
I knew it was him, but I wasn't sure.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

xenoxols wrote:Nice rips!(I think, are these done from scratch?) What gun is that battle rifle sprite from?
My usual process: Screenshot from web 3D-viewer for shape and perspective (sometimes the FOV sucks but meh), then drawn over, correcting for pixel arty look, shade and color grading, edge and light pass, sometimes I use parts of a screenshot for details, then finally, adding fitting hands from zdoom hands thread - et voilà, l'image :mrgreen:

The battlerifle is actually a BAR inspired by the short barrel version of this (fits the Fallout 4 vibe):
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JKdXR

Shotgun based on this Fallout 3 version:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xKegY

Laser rifle based on this (actually a pistol):
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/O3APv
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

willkuer wrote:
xenoxols wrote:correcting for pixel arty look

I wonder if you could shed some insight into this? Everyone can render model rips but it's harder to actualy make them look like a Doom weapon.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Cherno wrote:
willkuer wrote:
xenoxols wrote:correcting for pixel arty look

I wonder if you could shed some insight into this? Everyone can render model rips but it's harder to actualy make them look like a Doom weapon.
The easiest summary without making a tutorial video is this: If you use a render or screenshot thereof (web 3D-model viewer) as a base, you need to size them down to a suitable resolution - in our case, into a frame of 320x200x72 (I'm not sure if there is some aspect ratio thing involved for weapon sprites). I do that by first cutting out the weapon with hard edges (on pixel, no softening) and then resize down to the apropriate view port size with the pixel repeat method (no bicubic interpolation). After this you have a base but there are stray pixels, jaggy edges and errors in the shape. Because at this resolution every pixel contributes to the general shape and felt angle, you need to correct that by hand before drawing over it or whatever you do with that base - it's like minecraft building in 2D :D
Next up is correcting the palette - you want to reduce the amount of colors. I use a color lookup table containing the Doom palette as a color correction layer on the top of the stack. Use masks and cc layers (hue/sat, tone, curves, whatever) below to correct specific parts. Use selective sharpen or blur to accentuate edges or dumb down planes/faces in detail. All the while, correcting single pixels by hand.
Adjusting the lighting is another step ... does this shed some light on the workflow? :)

Edit: Cage has way more experience with this and better methods. He has his own models and controls the way they render - I can see diffusion patterns and very intricate lighting in his work. I'm not that good and also I don't do 3D unfortunatly... or let's say, only if I absolutly have to because I'm not good and slow :D
Last edited by willkuer on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

So, i am still having problems with my external HDD, but i managed to boot up EPSXE and load Resident Evil Survivor. I am kinda surprised nobody came up with these inventory and pickup icons, so i think it would be cool to upload them. the ony ones i couldn't get were the Magnum Ammo inventory icon (not the one on the "Check" option), as well as the "Broken" ammo for Shotgun and 9MM.

EDIT: Here are some others from Resident Evil 2. The Sparkshot in particular was resized to 320x240 before the cropping, and thus, is smaller.

Return to “General”