Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v1.2 - More, more, more!!! (05/20/18)

Post by Cyanide »

Someone64 wrote:I personally would like the change in the spawning system to prioritize map compatibility. The themes never even triggered that often for me and when they did, it wasn't too interesting so I'd be indifferent to their removal.
Which maps are we talking about? Way back when I first released the mod, I split off the SS Wolfenstein and Keen variants to seperate files, in order to have greater map compatibility. But maps that change Imps or other monsters are not gonna be compatible.

Compatibility with scripted events is beyond my abilities. :(

EDIT: Also, thanks for the feedback! I forget to mention that too often.
Last edited by Cyanide on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

The whole theme thing is a nice feature but it's not important enough to the actual gameplay for me to feel very strongly about it going. If it makes things significantly easier for you to just cut it out entirely then you have my support. I would definitely prefer to see you enjoy working on/adding things to the mod easily rather than get a headache just thinking about all the complications of adding things. A happy mod maker makes for happy mod players:)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

ate0ate wrote:The whole theme thing is a nice feature but it's not important enough to the actual gameplay for me to feel very strongly about it going. If it makes things significantly easier for you to just cut it out entirely then you have my support. I would definitely prefer to see you enjoy working on/adding things to the mod easily rather than get a headache just thinking about all the complications of adding things. A happy mod maker makes for happy mod players:)
Thanks for the feedback! It seems that is the way to go. :)
MrPyrite

Post by MrPyrite »

Wish I was good at scripting, otherwise I would love to have a DoomRL Arsenal compatibility patch.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

MrPyrite wrote:Wish I was good at scripting, otherwise I would love to have a DoomRL Arsenal compatibility patch.
Shades should be compatible with DoomRL Arsenal. Did you run into any issues?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Cyanide wrote:
ate0ate wrote:The whole theme thing is a nice feature but it's not important enough to the actual gameplay for me to feel very strongly about it going. If it makes things significantly easier for you to just cut it out entirely then you have my support. I would definitely prefer to see you enjoy working on/adding things to the mod easily rather than get a headache just thinking about all the complications of adding things. A happy mod maker makes for happy mod players:)
Thanks for the feedback! It seems that is the way to go. :)
I'd concur, as a player of Chaos Mode, more monsters is better than more themes. XD
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

I'm starting to see a patern here... :wink:
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I personally really like the themes. Although I'd like to see some more...creative enemy replacements. Like a vaguely Wolfenstein 3D theme, with various nazis replacing the default demons
SimonTheDigger

Post by SimonTheDigger »

Would it be possible to use a gore mod like Ketchup with this, or would it be incompatible due to every enemy variant needing its own unique death sprites?
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I don't mind the themes vanishing if more enemy variety's gonna be involved.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

By removing themes does the author mean removing the "one set of enemies per stage"?
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

GAA1992 wrote:By removing themes does the author mean removing the "one set of enemies per stage"?
I highly doubt that "one set of enemies per stage" thing's going away.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

SimonTheDigger wrote:Would it be possible to use a gore mod like Ketchup with this, or would it be incompatible due to every enemy variant needing its own unique death sprites?
I don't know the inner workings of Ketchup. If it add's extra sprites to the existing enemies, it probably also messes around with their decorate. If that's the case then no, it won't work. Droplets should work, though.
GAA1992 wrote:By removing themes does the author mean removing the "one set of enemies per stage"?
The "one set of enemies per stage" is never going to be removed. :) It's the main purpose of the mod.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Whoah wrote:I personally really like the themes. Although I'd like to see some more...creative enemy replacements. Like a vaguely Wolfenstein 3D theme, with various nazis replacing the default demons
Hmmm. I could probably turn on an option to incorporate nazi-variants into zombie-variants and chaingunner-variants. I'm not that well versed in the Wolfenstein bestiary to know if any other replacements would work. Are there any wolfenstein enemies that fire other stuff that hitscans? And do they have the necesary rotation sprites?

That will take some time to research.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I don't want to speak by wildweasel and horrormovieguy, but Bratwurst and WW-Nazis have the most consistent sets. Kriegsland also have many variants of nazis, although not inclined to the almost cartoonish Wolf3D style.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”