Sector type "Player invisibility sphere"

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

NGX

Sector type "Player invisibility sphere"

Post by NGX »

Sector type where the player is treated as if carrying the invisibility sphere.

For sectors jammed with tree sprites against hit-scanners.
Apeirogon

Re: Sector type "Player invisibility sphere"

Post by Apeirogon »

You can use zscript. Check in what sector player is, and if it in sector "some work for lumberjack" set player flag "invisible" to true, else set it to false.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:You can use zscript. Check in what sector player is, and if it in sector "some work for lumberjack" set player flag "invisible" to true, else set it to false.
I have a sneaky suspicion that this kind of a hack is not what the OP wants. A solution that does not really fix the actual issue.

When GZDoom handles such things internally, modifying flags is actually a last resort and used only when a solution would be much more complicated without them - normally, though, checks are done against the player state directly in tandem with the player's real flags.

However, @OP: If such a thing is implemented, the creatures chasing the player will lose interest in their target when the player hits such a sector, because in ZDoom the AI will automatically treat a target as dead if it goes invisible. Is this what you really want? It seems to me a better solution would be to have a sector flag which instead dictates that when a player enters it, AI sight checks simply fail instead (similar to REJECT hacking in Vanilla Doom), but monsters would continue their pursuit.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Would ticking 'Blocks Monster Sight' (in Slade) on the lines around the sector do the same thing? In my level they continue to chase you but don't attack unless they cross over the line.

Edit: Maybe cross hatching the sector with these lines could emulate layers of shrubbery...
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Invisibilty sphere does not make the player invisible, though, it only makes it hard to aim at. The change is not impossible but a bit extensive because every single check for the MF_SHADOW flag needs to be modified.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Oh - I usually refer to that as the "blur sphere" - I thought there was a specific full-invisibility sphere.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Different name - same shit - still as useless as ever... :mrgreen:
NGX

Post by NGX »

Nice to see so many ideas :D

@Rachael yes I had the blur sphere in mind, in DOOM it's called "partial invisibility sphere" so I omitted the partial part :3:

I think this sector type would be useful for a new type of slaughter maps where rather than abusing the monster count we might abuse the tree things count. Alternatively I could use the blur sphere and just remove the rendering effect on the player.
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

It would also be nice to have a flag that forces enemies to aim badly as if the player had a "partial invisibility" sphere. That kind of thing would be useful for a flash-bang grenade that stuns enemies rather than kills them.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”