(GZDoom) Under a Freezing Sea(Now on /idGames!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
A.Gamma

(GZDoom) Under a Freezing Sea(Now on /idGames!)

Post by A.Gamma »

Cross-posted from Doomworld

This is a single, medium sized GZDoom. It has custom monsters and REQUIRES free-look; jumping and crouching are optional but supported. It also features some lenghty underwater sections, so I recomend playing with a custom HUD/Mod that has an oxygen bar. It looks better if you set your light options to either "Dark" or "Doom".

A little backstory for those who care. This was meant to be my Joy of Mapping 5 submission, but since I was busier at the time couldn't finish it. So I decided to expand on it, add some custom monsters and convert it to mini-episoce... but I lost interest soon after completing the first map (which is the one I'm uploading). I sat on it for almost a year now, thinking that maybe the interest would return, but alas, it did not. Since I don't want the map to go to waste, I decided to upload it.

Screenshots(Taken with Bloom and Anisotropic filter on):
https://i.imgur.com/jvywfJy.png
https://i.imgur.com/z7DKAUJ.png
https://i.imgur.com/yMg9FPE.png
https://i.imgur.com/cB0Z50W.png
https://i.imgur.com/BjaQE2e.png
https://i.imgur.com/nl6uO6t.png

ID Games Link

Mirror 1

Would love to hear your thoughts on it! Happy Dooming!

Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by A.Gamma on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A.Gamma

Re: (GZDoom) Under a Freezing Sea

Post by A.Gamma »

Thanks to the feedback I've gotten on Doomworld I have updated to RC3: https://waa.ai/aMaL. If nothing else comes up in the next few days, I'll upload to idgames.
LOZ_98
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by LOZ_98 »

Just finished it, was really fun and challenging level, good detailing and use of atmospheric sound effects, the fights don't start until later in the level when you restore power to the facility, I like your use of water segments, the new monsters are also a welcome addition, and I'm glad you decided to add some autosave points, definitely helps keeping the players engaged in case they get surprised by the amount of action the level decides to throw at them after restoring power.

a Unique level making Great use of G/ZDoom features while still keeping the gameplay familiar and engaging, definitely recommended in case you haven't played this already :) Good stuff.
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Thanks for playing it! Water segments are IMO underused in Doom, so yeah, I wanted to experiment a bit with them.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Damn... this looks cool.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I can't get to the link.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Gzegzolka

Post by Gzegzolka »

Awesome map :) I like snow environment and underwater segments and I wish to see more of them. If I could change anything I would remove half of those dead bodies on upper section of base or just replace them with some small blood pools, body near power switch should stay - it is very good detail in that place.
Anybody know how to open last locked underwater doors near exit?
Also I like that underground segment where action starts and there is so many different ways to go.
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Ah damn, I don't know why I'm not getting notified for replies even when I turned the option on.

Anyway, thanks a lot for playing and for the feedback! I have updated the OP with the idgames link and a mirror.

Also:
Gzegzolka wrote: Anybody know how to open last locked underwater doors near exit?
Spoiler: How to open the doors
Gideon020

Re: (GZDoom) Under a Freezing Sea(Now on /idGames!)

Post by Gideon020 »

This was a lot of fun, I feel like this concept could be used for a levelset, if not a full megawad.
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

First try of it, I gotta say it's such a nice concept. I'm a big scaredy pants for deep sea stuff, but I like this kind of horror.
Bonus cookies for the claustrophobic base rooms.
EDIT: Just finished it with 4 out of 10 secrets found. Gotta say I like the claustrophobic underwater passages, but I also feel like we could've got more ocean parts + deep sea fear (just imagine the cryptids possibly out there!).
Otherwise this is fantastic!
Osiris Kalev

Post by Osiris Kalev »

Really great map. It was interesting how the map started, with that creepy, tense atmosphere. Then when you actually get into the area where monsters are, it's a huge difficulty spike that you need to quickly deal with. It's an interesting change of pace, where a lot of maps would normally start you off slow with the combat.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

playing through it now, having a good time, but i had to turn down the music. that sound you used for the intro part is just brain melting.

the map itself is absolutely gorgeous though and has a creep factor to it.

EDIT:

just finished it and man that was fun, i love the use of water parts, you hop off something and all of a sudden your underwater in a completely different fight. the secrets definitely made me want to explore, and the map looked great. lots of little nooks and crannies with loads of detail.

make this a megawad
A.Gamma

Post by A.Gamma »

Thanks for playing through Cortlong! I don't know if I said it here, but over at Doomworld I mentioned that once I entertained the idea of making a mapset in this style, and while this map was released because I lost inspiration, I may try to give it another shot.

Return to “Levels”