Stacking Sectors

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Stacking Sectors

Post by Siberian Tiger »

Hallo,

I seem to have reached an issue that I can't fully resolve by myself. I have created a very simple test map but contains a lot of children sector references within the parent sectors and includes slopes, what would be the best way to link these two parent sectors together? I have tried using the Stack Points (THING ID: 9078 && 9077) and also tried Sector_SetPortal[1], but in a much more 'busy' environment with the lower and upper sectors - I am unable to successfully get it to work properly.

If someone would be willing to help me out with this, that would be great! I am completely stuck at this point....

Demonstration
Map overlay
Map overlay
Example PWAD:
StackedSectors_Portals.wad
Example Provided - Requires Heretic IWAD
(70.92 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Stacking Sectors

Post by Rachael »

First and foremost, the upper and lower sector stacks almost have to be congruent or your portals are going to be glitchy as hell. That doesn't mean that the complete area needs to be congruent, only the "windows" by which the view/player traverses. However, if it's view only and the player only sees one view and not the other (i.e. is only ever in the lower sector) then this isn't a major concern.

Secondly, I've covered the way to create linedef-defined stackers in this tutorial here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=59149

I realize it's not concise and clear on how you are supposed to do it, but it's one of those things that you have to learn by doing, really. I attached an example WAD and a diagram to try and help you figure it out.
Siberian Tiger

Post by Siberian Tiger »

Thank you for the feedback and the information! Be chance, is there any well known WAD(s) that use these types of Portals? More examples the better for myself to further understand how it works in a very busy environment.

Thank you again!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Take a look at Tormentor's Refinery, which has a 3 part stacked sector section using things

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/QxsXPgw[/imgur]
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Not exactly "popular" per se, but 20 heretics in the map "FINAL" uses the linedef version.
Siberian Tiger

Post by Siberian Tiger »

Thank you Kappes Buur and Rachael! I will take a look at these when I can!

Return to “Mapping”