Luigi's Mansion

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AtomicLugia

Luigi's Mansion

Post by AtomicLugia »

Well, it's kinda the fitting date, right?

After I beat Luigi's Mansion (and recorded the playthrough in german), I wanted to recreate the mansion in DOOM 2, so I did this. It took me days and thanks to my recordings, and the screencap from the maps, I managed to do it. I made it vanilla-friendly, the only custom stuff are the textures of the portrait ghosts and some MIDI's. So, it should work with gameplay mods. I tested it with Brutal Doom and MetaDoom, worked like a charm! This is my first map being published (I think), so don't expect a high quality map here but I tried my best and it kinda resembles the original, especially because it's the entire mansion in one UDMF map! I hope it's O.K.! If I violate something, then sorry!

Setting it up is as easy as opening a door in Luigi's Mansion. Just drag it into the sourceport of your choice and select "Luigi's Mansion" from the Episode screen. Needs DOOM 2.

Screenies:
Spoiler:
Download! ~409 KB

Tell me what you think! Is this okay for the first time? Tell me what I could improve!
doomfighter667

Re: Luigi's Mansion

Post by doomfighter667 »

looks good good Luigi's Mansion in doom
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I imagine this would go well along with a mod like DarkDoom.
louie g

Post by louie g »

Made a ZDOOM account just to tell you that this is immediately one of the best maps ever. An entire favorite translated perfectly into another favorite game, absolutely incredible. My compliments to the chef on this one. Mwah!
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I have three small nitpicks:

1. I can't figure out how to grab the chainsaw, I tried crouch jumping to it, just like in Half-Life, but to no avail.

2. The basement is home to a radiation shielding suit, which has no use in the entirety of the map, except for the damaging floor it resides on. Maybe replace it with something else.

3. One thing I noticed when playing this map with Smooth Doom only, so it's probably not a fault on your end, is when you're in the outside area behind the kitchen, killing the demon or revenant doesn't cause the wall to the sector housing the yellow key to lower. This Smooth Doom specific bug probably affects other UDMF-Format maps aswell.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

I seem to recall that the power is supposed to go back out when you get to a certain point on the top floor, which also repopulates the mansion with more/stronger ghosts. Maybe incorporate this into the map, somehow? Spawn in some monsters and turn the lights back off, heh. Would make the final descent to confront the cyber more interesting.

Two other things that could be improved is the transition between floors. Stairs and portals would be better than teleporters. In addition, the polyobject wall that slides back gets stuck over the grate that in the original game would spew out the boos when it's revealed.
AtomicLugia

Post by AtomicLugia »

DabbingSquidward wrote:I have three small nitpicks:

1. I can't figure out how to grab the chainsaw, I tried crouch jumping to it, just like in Half-Life, but to no avail.

2. The basement is home to a radiation shielding suit, which has no use in the entirety of the map, except for the damaging floor it resides on. Maybe replace it with something else.

3. One thing I noticed when playing this map with Smooth Doom only, so it's probably not a fault on your end, is when you're in the outside area behind the kitchen, killing the demon or revenant doesn't cause the wall to the sector housing the yellow key to lower. This Smooth Doom specific bug probably affects other UDMF-Format maps aswell.
Like I said, it's one of my first submissions. The chainsaw is tricky to get, to get it, don't hold the jump button, only push it once and crouch immediately while in air to get to it.
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

Top tier map i was hooked
GiraffeMan

Post by GiraffeMan »

Epic map. 666/10 would s u c c g h o s t s again
Valken

Post by Valken »

Thanks for upping this! PB + ROK on this now!
LOZ_98
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by LOZ_98 »

I just played your level, here's a Blind playthrough of it, it was fun but not so challenging, I got lost a little too much and the 2 boss battles (I suppose) were a little too "controlled", prior to these bosses you get the BFG and ton of cells, megaspheres and armor pickups, would have been slightly less predictable if these bosses weren't placed in front of the player's eyes waiting to be activated by stepping on a keycard, there's also a Chainsaw that's a bit frustrating to get, you have to be very specific in your jumping and crouching to reach it, a bit unfair if you ask me, players might assume it's a bug or an unreachable item.

The visuals aren't the best I've seen but they are acceptable and aren't just random boxes with items sprinkled in them, overall it was fun but a little too easy.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

I need to make a mod that recreates the Poltergust's mechanics in DOOM now.
rautamiekka
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by rautamiekka »

Presumably GZDoom/Zandronum since 'Brutal Doom' is specifically made for Zandronum in mind ? But which version ?

EDIT: The txt says Zandronum 3.0 and GZDoom 3.2.0.

EDIT 2: "MAPLM1" ? Never heard of that and Google is being absolutely useless.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

I liked it, my only complaint is the painter fight. You are fighting a very angry Arch-vile with 3 hitscanners hot on your feet and additionally a Cacodemon and a Pinky, leaving barely any space to move.

That, and that you didn't use portals. For example, in the starting room when you go upstairs, you could have used a stack portal so you could place the upper part of the mansion on a whole another sector and you could still look up to it as if it was a 3D floor.
r&r

Post by r&r »

Mods I use to spice it up abit.

Beautiful Doom for the candles other light sources

Creepyfied Textures to replace to doom textures,
you'll actually get like two huge wooden doors textures then the grey metal one.

I use Gothic monsters from Gothic Skins for Doom tread.

You can also try doom Project Horror as that might be more fitting?
but is a unfair mod alot of times

and use what ever weapons or other mods to balance the games out.

Return to “Levels”