The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Captain J »

Now that's some quick respawn time!
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Been working on some more BloodDoomBorneSouls
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Mikk- wrote:Been working on some more BloodDoomBorneSouls
Awesome. Please, continue.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Coding floppy drive sounds for Pcem now

It's really a bunch of tiny samples (48khz raw pcm totaling 96kb) getting played at different pitches, volumes and low passes
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Really takes me back. Those ol' ka-chunk sounds.
Nash

Post by Nash »

leileilol wrote:Coding floppy drive sounds for Pcem now

It's really a bunch of tiny samples (48khz raw pcm totaling 96kb) getting played at different pitches, volumes and low passes
wtf is up with that audio panning
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

leileilol wrote:Coding floppy drive sounds for Pcem now
This makes me unduly happy. :lol:
Nash wrote:wtf is up with that audio panning
The tower is on your right, natch.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sometimes I miss those simpler days when programmes fitted into a few KB of disc space and the oprating system consisted mostly of a directory full of small com and exe files and it wasn't a massive behemoth full of bloat and hidden settings up the wazoo so that I am never fully confident (despite my best efforts) that I know what my machine is doing in the background.

Then I remember randomly corrupted floppies or having half a dozen different config.sys and autoexec.bat files to try and squeeze enough memory to run different programs out of my machine, or each program having to have a printer set up with drivers from within each specific program (and only rarely working 100% correctly), or no multi-tasking (so no copy/paste between programs) or that adding new hardware meant physically moving jumpers around on circuit boards to try to avoid hardware clashes.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I sometimes wonder what would happen if I was born 20 years before, I'd be a pro ms-dos programmer and would actually be able to sell my engine :lol:
But then I remember I'd soon need to code for win 9x using C and forms, hmmm, better stick with 2018
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Enjay wrote:Sometimes I miss those simpler days when programmes fitted into a few KB of disc space and the oprating system consisted mostly of a directory full of small com and exe files and it wasn't a massive behemoth full of bloat and hidden settings up the wazoo so that I am never fully confident (despite my best efforts) that I know what my machine is doing in the background.

Then I remember randomly corrupted floppies or having half a dozen different config.sys and autoexec.bat files to try and squeeze enough memory to run different programs out of my machine, or each program having to have a printer set up with drivers from within each specific program (and only rarely working 100% correctly), or no multi-tasking (so no copy/paste between programs) or that adding new hardware meant physically moving jumpers around on circuit boards to try to avoid hardware clashes.
Hell is just a room where you have to get Origin's games working properly with full sound on a period-era machine.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

ibm5155 wrote:I sometimes wonder what would happen if I was born 20 years before, I'd be a pro ms-dos programmer and would actually be able to sell my engine :lol:
But then I remember I'd soon need to code for win 9x using C and forms, hmmm, better stick with 2018
I wasn't even an adult until the year that Windows XP came out, so I, too, missed that train by a decade or so for the year that I was born.

The biggest mistake you can make is to specialize yourself in only one field - unless it's artistic and you can be REALLY GOOD at it (i.e. Cage, with the Ion Maiden work), having an array of skills these days is a lot more valuable than someone who can only do one thing. At least, that's been my experience, where permanent jobs are virtually non-existent for people like me, and the only real way to get by is freelance work and going for certifications until you do eventually find one.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I also wish i was born 20 years ago. 2018 is definitely not my year and Window XP, the current OS i'm using right now for many years is now getting obsolete.
Last edited by Captain J on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I dunno. Nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be. ;)
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Enjay wrote:I dunno. Nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be. ;)
Dang I wish this site had a Soulsphere to click on right now...

Return to “Off-Topic”