Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dynamo

Re: Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

Post by Dynamo »

JPL wrote:One idea in case you care: it would be fairly easy with ZScript to display each megawad's custom status bar art, where applicable - simply storing all the statusbar lumps under unique names and then having a trivial bit of UI script to draw the appropriate graphic. I suppose there are other custom graphics in many megawads that aren't seen as well - the help and credits screens, custom menu art / fonts - but those would be a bit tougher to swap in depending on which wad the player was in.
This is indeed a good idea, might work for an addon. I believe NightFright did a bunch of widescreen-friendly edits of several classic mod HUDs so that may be a good base. I'll see about it in the future.
SiFi270 wrote:When you land on the green crates (or whatever they are) in the first area of Daedalus map01, there's an orange splash.
This is strange, I distinctly remember checking that and it producing a green splash (albeit not the same one used by regular doom nukage, but an internal splash of daedalus). Maybe something else broke on the way.
SiFi270 wrote:Also, do you know what's causing those red symbols in the lower right corner of the screen? It may not actually be Compendium's fault, but I figured it was worth asking anyway.
I was never able to figure that one out, it may be something related to the translator's battery. Whatever it is, it does not impact gameplay in any way and I've never found it intrusive (I played throughout all of daedalus within compendium)
Camper125Lv wrote:at map VCO19 there is one teleporter textures not correctly aligned
You can take a screenshot of this if you want so I can see what you mean exactly but keep in mind that for the most part I've not touched any of the misaligned textures or other similar problems, fixing every single imperfection is not the point of this project.
Camper125Lv wrote:is it normal that in vilecore i jumped from 14 to 31 then 32 and back to 15 level?
I appear to be unable to reproduce this. Any more steps you can provide for it to be reproduced?
Kagur wrote:The level exit in map 02 of Mancubus wad (by shitbag) is broken.
Broken how?
Last edited by Dynamo on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

wokrs for me,completed the whole wad

Broken how?

That level is broken in how I'm unable to exit it when I enter the final room (the small room with Icon of Sin's John Romero head behind the barrier). When I activate the exit switch, it crushes the Romero head and nothing happens after. I try to exit from the level but the teleportation platform also stops functioning. There is literally no way to get out of that room.

I should mention that I'm playing this with Project Brutality v3.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

Kagur wrote:
wokrs for me,completed the whole wad

Broken how?

That level is broken in how I'm unable to exit it when I enter the final room (the small room with Icon of Sin's John Romero head behind the barrier). When I activate the exit switch, it crushes the Romero head and nothing happens after. I try to exit from the level but the teleportation platform also stops functioning. There is literally no way to get out of that room.

I should mention that I'm playing this with Project Brutality v3.
thats the problem i think in PB romero has more hp so he will not die from crusher
invictius

Post by invictius »

Have any other wads done the "choose from maps from portals in a room" thing? I know that the latest doomworld project has, but that's about it.

Also does anyone have a link to the quake mod that did similar with their "best of the best" maps? Links for it absolutely everywhere are down.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

invictius wrote:Have any other wads done the "choose from maps from portals in a room" thing? I know that the latest doomworld project has, but that's about it.
The Sentinal has a similar megawad collection called the lexicon. Its much less wads, but newer and some popular things like scythe 2. There's some interesting slaughterwads as well. Its still being developed so more is coming I know.
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronu ... ild-85.pk3
Other than that, I have no idea. I hope its a trend that catches on. Compendium and Lexicon are amazing.
invictius

Post by invictius »

ate0ate wrote:
invictius wrote:Have any other wads done the "choose from maps from portals in a room" thing? I know that the latest doomworld project has, but that's about it.
The Sentinal has a similar megawad collection called the lexicon. Its much less wads, but newer and some popular things like scythe 2. There's some interesting slaughterwads as well. Its still being developed so more is coming I know.
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronu ... ild-85.pk3
Other than that, I have no idea. I hope its a trend that catches on. Compendium and Lexicon are amazing.
Does this break some sort of record for most levels in a wad? (Excluding jokewads like 40,000 levels) - I only know of 8/16-in-1 for zandronum (which also has many classic megawads).
Churrupez

Post by Churrupez »

Enslavement: The teleporter in the Super Shotgun secret room at the start of ENS01 doesn't work (had to noclip out of there). It worked in the original map (it should teleport you back at the start).
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Does this break some sort of record for most levels in a wad? (Excluding jokewads like 40,000 levels) - I only know of 8/16-in-1 for zandronum (which also has many classic megawads).
Lol, it has to be a record. Even if Lexicon fills up every unused slot in its current hub, it will still be less wads than are currently in Compendium. Looks like Lexicon updated today with three more wads here...
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronu ... ld-103.pk3
And Dynamo himself added a Zandronum version of Compendium today as well. I don't know what the differences are, I just saw the upload right now. You can grab it here...
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronu ... v1-zan.pk3
Last edited by ate0ate on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
phonemiller22

Post by phonemiller22 »

Yo man, I have been playing the crap out of this .wad for the past month... and Decided to post some user feed back to a possable future update. All Hell Breaks Loose looks seems off... it load the custom weapons and the custom monsters don't seem to be working the way they should. also on map VFL04 I got killed by a chaingunner under the map.
Also was wondering if you could name some .wads that you wanted to add but didn't (yet) or for other reasons? Just curious. Thanks man.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

In COD04, this conveyor belt doesn't seem to be working as intended. In the original, things like medikits, barrels, and dead marines go across it repeatedly with the help of a silent teleporter, but the barrels get stuck here, and noclipping further along reveals everything else that's supposed to be available, but isn't teleporting.

EDIT: Also, Hell to Pay has ordinary spectres where it should have translucent versions of HTP_Enemy2.

EDIT: Going back to CoD, this may require maps to be changed more than you want them to, but would it be possible to change all the trigger monsters back to their original counterparts and have ACS scripts take care of the events they were originally meant to trigger?
TheNoob_Gamer

Post by TheNoob_Gamer »

Good work. I won't have to screw around with /idgames for a while :P
Also, will you add several more maps/megawads from 2005-2010 to your mod?
And I noticed that you can't jump or crouch while playing a megawad. Is this a bug or was intentionally made?
SimonTheDigger

Post by SimonTheDigger »

TheNoob_Gamer wrote: And I noticed that you can't jump or crouch while playing a megawad. Is this a bug or was intentionally made?
A lot of older megawads/mapsets weren't designed with (G)ZDoom's jumping and crouching in mind, so those have jumping and crouching disabled. You can manually activate them in (G)ZDoom's settings, but that will most likely result in unintentional sequence breaks in some maps and could possibly get you irreparably stuck.
dangopacito

Post by dangopacito »

are you planning to add more megawads someday? this is really good for wads with lots of stuff like wrath of cronos
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

Hi.

Compendium works pretty well. The new monsters which replace anytime WolfSS was used as a replacement... well, they won't work with creature wads that substitute the original creature replacements. Nothing much we can do there unless you wanted to excise the code or write in replacements.

Anyway, the real concern I have is with Dissolution, the Quake-Esque level pack. In Map05, Gloom Keep, the Yellow Key required to advance, which would ordinarily be near the (stealth) Arch-Vile, is nowhere in sight. Instead, what I can gather, it is replaced with a shotgun and I cannot advance any further. Maybe this is a previous version I'm playing, but yeah, that pissed me off.
7HEPOW
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 7HEPOW »

I really don't wanna know how long it took to put all of this together! :D

Though I've not yet found technical issues yet, here are two visual glitches:
Spoiler:
I've seen some more, but didn't screenshot them. Will do so in the future. Thanks for working on this!!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”