Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.14 FINALLY HERE]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.02 FINALLY HERE]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Pushed out version 1.02 today.

The following bugs were fixed:

Graphical misalignment in MAPB1

Windows not breaking in MAP03, MAP04 and SECRET01

Jack-N-Jill/Shou Pepper caused permanent inability to be morphed if used at the end of a level before effect wore off.

The next big version, 1.1, will be to fix the HUD. If someone could offer assistance in redoing the HUD, that'd be fantastic.

In the meantime I will fix stuff as I find them or get reports on.
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Assassin of Purity »

What's wrong with Bronies? If you don't like them, then just leave them alone.

Is the TC compatible with Zandronum?

MLP FiM is a flash animation, not a cartoon.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I don't think it's compatible with Zandronum because the main file format is ipk3.
Hey, I'm having a bit of deja vu here... But i won't tell what kind of deja vu i'm having.

Anyway since this mod is just being Satirical instead of being Serious, would be nicer if we stop talking about this simple thing before it gets worse. It's just a part of the joke that you don't have to be upset. Remember; the Internet is a tough place, it throws massively funny or blatant jokes around and is unlikely to help your case!
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Assassin of Purity »

Captain J wrote:I don't think it's compatible with Zandronum because the main file format is ipk3.
Hey, I'm having a bit of deja vu here... But i won't tell what kind of deja vu i'm having.

Anyway since this mod is just being Satirical instead of being Serious, would be nicer if we stop talking about this simple thing before it gets worse. It's just a part of the joke that you don't have to be upset. Remember; the Internet is a tough place, it throws massively funny or blatant jokes around and is unlikely to help your case!
I'm sorry.
SanyaWaffles

Re: Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.04 FINALLY HERE]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I have uploaded a new version of Daytime Drama - marked version 1.04 - to fix a glaring problem I sworn I have fixed.

IPK3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrrrptgk7xf8p ... .ipk3?dl=1

With GZDoom Git Build - https://www.dropbox.com/s/t680mfa8y356c ... 4.zip?dl=1
SanyaWaffles

Re: Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.04 FINALLY HERE]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Last edited by SanyaWaffles on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Re: Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.05 FINALLY HERE]

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

The standalone link doesn't work. It says the file wasn't found.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

The standalone IPK3 link works for me. The bundled one is the one that doesn't work.
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Fixed. I hate how reuploading a file creates a different link.
SanyaWaffles

Re: Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.09 FINALLY HERE]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I have pushed forward another update. There were several test builds in between. The current build fixes some minor bugs, and bundles x64 4.2.1 build of GZDoom.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9tcu3qi86gzd ... 9.zip?dl=1

Now! I have some news. It's been a while, but you might have seen DD2's project page was delisted a few months ago. This is because I was not happy with the quality of the build. I now have brought on two additional people who have volunteered to help me bring Daytime Drama 2: Beyond Despair. It will be a bit different in terms of setting, but will still feature bizarre enemies and pure chaotic gameplay, as well as some new Build-like tricks.

Look out soon for a new thread with Daytime Drama 2. Public beta testing soon.

This doesn't mean DD1 is going to be ignored. I plan on redoing DD1's HUD, as well as modernizing/optimizing the ZScript code, and fixing the fonts up as currently the font is a bit naff (But I was limited on what I could do back when I started work on this project). I have not decided on a name for this release, but I feel merely calling it a remaster is a bit of a misnomer, because I feel that term is overused. I also don't like the idea of calling it a special edition (blame the Star Wars special editions for that).

There's a plan with my current team to round out this with a trilogy of some sort.

That's my plans so far. Thanks for making this project a cult hit :D
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

I knew this existed for a while due to Icarus covering it, but just haven't gotten around to it until now. Finally have started through the first 6 or so levels, and I guess I'd sum it up as Mr. Smiley's Head Safari or Doom Hack if it was really trying to be coherent, and not just cram as much ridiculousness in as possible, and also with some solid map design. It's proving fun for sure, so I'll undoubtedly finish it.
SanyaWaffles wrote:There's a plan with my current team to round out this with a trilogy of some sort.
As long as it doesn't end by alienating half the fanbase I'll be happy.
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

fakemai wrote:
SanyaWaffles wrote:There's a plan with my current team to round out this with a trilogy of some sort.
As long as it doesn't end by alienating half the fanbase I'll be happy.
To be honest, that's what I'm trying to balance here. One of the criticism was Daytime Drama didn't have much of a story outside "cop lady with tail stuck with a chaotic cult, has to fight them". To be honest, the second game is going to have a very similar setting - someone stuck in a chaotic, bizarre fight for their life. That's really the core of what Daytime Drama is about.

I hope that the next project people will allow me to change the setting and protaganist enough. There's an overall story to all this I'm trying to go for over the trilogy. I can't make everyone happy, but to be honest I'm just trying to make my type of game. However I do respect that I have an audience, and I know what made Daytime Drama sell - the bizarre enemies, the level design incorporating build-like mechanics (including explosive walls), the build-like protaganist (with one-liners) who is bizarre in her own right... and the humor. I'm not gonna sacrifice any of that.

I'm trying to integrate a story without it being overbearing. One thing you will see is is any exposition/story can be skipped, and I'm considering adding an option to skip them pre-emptively (like a CVAR). I know and respect some people want to play the game just for action and randomness and not a story. And I want the story to be just as chaotic as the enemies you've been facing and not a multi-hour movie like Wolfenstein II: TNC ended up being (and not as dull color-wise either).

As for the chaotic enemies, DD2 currently is more stretched out in terms of enemies - some of them make sense given the setting, but others become more and more chaotic. Hell, in the third episode you're going to a chaotic dimension that the main villain controls.

Fans of certain ironic subreddits and Youtube channels like Skycorp will recognize some of the enemies and items. And I've decided to include a certain memetic enemy from a Revscarecrow Vinesauce video.

And even some of the more "mundane" enemies have elements of memes in them or something humorous about them. Memes and off humor is always going to be a part of Daytime Drama's DNA and it will always will be. You won't see me and my team cave in on that.

The only part is the fact there's multiple episodes and I try to introduce enemies in a staggered manner now means some of the more bizzarre enemies might not appear right away. However I did bring back two iconic DD1 enemies - in upgraded forms (mainly in AI).

However, I never expected Daytime Drama to be a cult hit, and I hope I can bring back the same audience. If I get new people, so be it, but I'm honestly not going for reaching beyond.
SanyaWaffles

Re: Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.10 FINALLY HERE]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idj3cp4pdci7x ... 0.zip?dl=1

Fixed a bug with the Brony of Despair's animation frames not being right, and an inconsistency on MAP09
SanyaWaffles

Re: Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.11 FINALLY HERE]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Sorry to bump this and post again... but there's a few big announcements

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn577zq56qkye ... 1.zip?dl=1

Updated engine to 4.3.2 and added CVARDEFS file.

This is probably going to be the last update to Daytime Drama 1 for a while. Once DD2 is made, I might backport certain things DD2 has done like an improved HUD, more localized strings and hi-res fonts... however for now I feel content with the project as it is.

If your curious about the development of Daytime Drama there's two pieces I have written up on my personal website:

https://waffleironstudios.com/2019/dayt ... ortem.html - A Post Mortem on the development of Daytime Drama 1.

https://waffleironstudios.com/2019/a-tr ... -doom.html - About one of the inspirations for Daytime Drama, and a tribute to the creator of said project.

I thank everyone who has taken the time to download this, test it out and play it and give feedback over the years! I'm working slowly but surely on a follow up.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.11 FINALLY HERE]

Post by Redneckerz »

SanyaWaffles wrote:Sorry to bump this and post again... but there's a few big announcements

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn577zq56qkye ... 1.zip?dl=1

Updated engine to 4.3.2 and added CVARDEFS file.

This is probably going to be the last update to Daytime Drama 1 for a while. Once DD2 is made, I might backport certain things DD2 has done like an improved HUD, more localized strings and hi-res fonts... however for now I feel content with the project as it is.

If your curious about the development of Daytime Drama there's two pieces I have written up on my personal website:

https://waffleironstudios.com/2019/dayt ... ortem.html - A Post Mortem on the development of Daytime Drama 1.

https://waffleironstudios.com/2019/a-tr ... -doom.html - About one of the inspirations for Daytime Drama, and a tribute to the creator of said project.

I thank everyone who has taken the time to download this, test it out and play it and give feedback over the years! I'm working slowly but surely on a follow up.
Thanks for this update and we will speak again over at Discord :) This is a great read up for later use as i love this kind of stuff.

You had a vision, developed it in an idea and then made it to reality. There's few people, even in this community, that can say the same thing. And that deserves proper respect and recognition. :3:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”