Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PixelWAD

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by PixelWAD »

I think potential vr devs should aim for Oculus Quest, as this is the device that will get highest adoption. not all specs are available yet but it is confirmed to be more powerful than Oculus GO (Snapdragon 821)

- based on Snapdragon 835 (last year high end as used in galaxy s8).
- 64gb storage and more + USB port
- 2 OLED displays for each eye 1600 x 1440
- All the tracking is done via built in chip, so it doesn't affect performance.
- It is using fixed foveating rendering
- spatial 3D 360 audio built in
- Tracking volume of 5m x 5m officially supported (works in biggers spaces)
- custom IPD (i think 58-72mm range)
- a fan inside to actively cool the SoC, allowing for higher clockrates

John Carmack compares Quest power to Xbox 360 / Playstation 3. I mention this cause it's coming from Carmack directly.
https://wccftech.com/carmack-oculus-que ... ssion=true

Not everyone has a lot of time to go through videos - this is one of the shortest that somewhat describes it properly and shows it 'in action'.

'Oculus Quest First Look' by 'Engadget'
https://youtu.be/RedWf1sID0Q - 3 minutes 5 seconds long
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

In order to target a device, one must own it. The most important thing here is what GPU processor it will have, and what OpenGL/ES version it will support. GZDoom supports GLES 3.0 natively, but it's not very common in devices that I've seen these days. It's almost exclusively supported by higher-powered desktops and laptops, from what I've seen.

If the operating system supports it, regular OpenGL calls can still be thrown to the GPU for whatever commands it will support, despite being primarily developed for GLES. The Raspberry Pi is an example of this; its GPU is a VideoCore4 but the legacy branch of GZDoom will run on it just fine because there is enough X11/kernel support to translate the calls appropriately at a level of OpenGL 2.0.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Let's just say this about API support: Targeting anything that only supports GLES2 is a dead end. The API is obsolete and no longer matches today's software's needs.
Even GLES3 is not future proof. To be of any long term use, Vulkan support will be essential, otherwise the hardware will be cut off from modern software rather sooner than later. Apple made sure of that when they deprecated OpenGL on their devices, which inevitably means that software development will move on to more modern APIs and there Vulkan is the only viable choice.

I wouldn't even bother THINKING about buying such limited hardware, even if it's top of the line today.

This particularly goes for stuff that depends on visuals, and VR clearly is such a thing. This isn't the PI, which wasn't designed as a gaming platform.
To end this, I see there's a few true enthusiasts here which seem to desperately need this stuff. How about getting out some programming handbook and do the stuff yourselves? ;)
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Oculus shipped few hundred dev kits to chosen developers, but according to John Carmack, those who don't have one, can start development using Oculus Rift for PC, and just target the performance so that it runs on GO. Input is the same.
So yeah that's a bit difficult if you don't have any VR hardware.

I'm not a programmer myself, so I don't know much about the backend stuff like all the APIs etc. I'm sure Oculus SDK supports stuff higher than GLES2. Unity and Unreal comes with built in VR support, but there are many developers who incorporated SDK into their own engines, like in Serious Sam for example.
Another possibility is to use OpenVR, but I'm not sure how well that would translate to mobile version.

Many people are sceptic today about Quest processing power, but Oculus said it themselves that to prove that it's a powerful device, they are bringing their top 50+ titles from the PC platform.

Mobile VrApi by Oculus - plenty of all the "GL" info that developers can see what it supports. It's like black magic to me.
https://developer.oculus.com/documentat ... bile-vrapi

To end this...
Trust me, if I could port Doom all by myself, I would do it in a heartbeat. But let's not fool each other, even if I spent next 3 months reading all the books, tutorials etc, porting isn't something for a complete noob like me. I spent few weeks just learning Unreal engine and I can do quite a lot with it, but there is tons and tons of stuff that i still have no clue about. And Unreal is considered a somewhat easy to learn. :oops:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

PixelWAD - it's not as hard as you make it out to be. If you're capable of learning scripting, especially with a language as deep as ZScript, or UnrealScript, you have enough understanding about program flow to pick up at least C easily, and enough C++ to at least port something. Yes, it's a bit of a learning curve, but not one that you can't overcome.

In Linux, GZDoom uses SDL, which is supported on a lot of platforms. It's feasible that support could be added for whatever OS the Quest will be using, which likely will be Linux or BSD based since those are free and easy to develop on.

Therefore, Graf's idea is not as far fetched as you might think, even for you, or anyone else.
danknugz

Post by danknugz »

Can someone please help - I've been running Fish Biter's excellent implementation of motion controls in gz3doom as found here:

https://github.com/Fishbiter/gz3doom/releases/

The problem I'm running into (so to speak) is that this doesn't seem to support analog movement with the left touch analog stick. It's either all or nothing - as if one were using a directional pad. This is very jarring and really takes you out of the experience, can't walk slowly.

I tried configuring the options to use a pad or joystick but they both come up "controller not detected". I believe CMBruns's implementation, while not supporting motion controls, did however support analog movement by allowing touch controls "as a gamepad". Given that the source is available for both I figured it should be fairly trivial to implement this in Fishbiter's version?
danknugz

Post by danknugz »

Fishbiter wrote:I guess I'm the dev you're addressing... Sorry I don't really follow this forum very closely (it seems pretty dead?)

I kind of got to where I wanted to get to with this... I just wanted to play Doom in VR, so it's mission accomplished! I also haven't been very interested in anything VR over summer (too uncomfortable!)

What are you missing? There are 3 main things I might look at:

Analogue movement controls.
Room size movement (not very exciting to me because I don't have much room)
Multiplayer

There's also the suite of comfort options, but as a non-nausea-sufferer I'd be working blind :P
Hey man, thanks a lot for your work on this, I got it working and it's so awesome, and it's so close but not quite there - definitely needs the analog controls and being able to walk around without the camera re-adjusting. Looks like you havent touched this in a while but you have the source - maybe you can give some pointers where I might be able to take a look? Although I havent touched c in years...
Fishbiter

Post by Fishbiter »

I actually just added both features!
danknugz

Post by danknugz »

DUDE! This is so awesome. Hopefully I get some damn time this weekend!!
danknugz

Post by danknugz »

So I've finally managed to get this up and running and the config all set up . Anyone idea how to get the default "desktop mirror" to show just one eye with no disortion instead of both with distortion? Tried to find some gz3doom documentation on it but no luck.

I could use oculus mirror .exe but the resolution need adjusting and feels weird to be rendering in a third window after the default mirror and the rift itself
imagoth2004

Post by imagoth2004 »

Not sure why, but the program is not working on oculus anymore. I used to play it with Hexen in VR, but now after a few months of not touching it I try to boot and the game boots fine, but the game video doesn't go to the headset. I've tried all manners of things.

Anyone else have these issues and can help me out?
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Doom OpenVR on Vive. I can't open doors or activate switches

Post by hoover1979 »

So I have been trying out this:
https://github.com/Fishbiter/gz3doom/releases

So I can play Doom on my Vive in full room-scale with the motion controllers. However, not one button on the controllers is opening doors or activating switches and physically reaching forward doesn't do it either. When I try to configure the controls GZ3Doom won't let me set buttons/trigger on the motion controllers for actions and only lets me set XBONE Controller or Keyb/Mouse actions so I can't just set the trigger for the non-gun controller to open doors/activate switches. The guy on the FB Doom group that sent me this port link says he can't help me as he has a Rift, not a Vive and Google yields no help as of yet, so I thought I'd shoot a thread here in case someone else got this working on the Vive.
crazyflyingdonut
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by crazyflyingdonut »

Is there a way to play GZ3Doom in Oculus Rift S without using the Oculus Controllers as your weapon?

I'm sorry, there's just no way I'm going to use my hand on the controller to aim the weapons while using the keyboard to shoot the weapons.

And when I played DukeVR (fork of EDuke32 for Oculus), I had a much easier time with weapons on it. I didn't need my actual controller hand to move the weapons. Basically, I was able to use weapons on DukeVR the same way I was able to on regular EDuke32 without VR. The way that I prefer.
iamcarrotmaster

Post by iamcarrotmaster »

are there any builds that use newer gzdoom versons? i looked through the github and found nothing
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

Return to “Game Engines”