Dynamic Light Lag and Crash

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
PhantomDoom741

Dynamic Light Lag and Crash

Post by PhantomDoom741 »

Hey there, I'm experiencing a quite annoying problem on my Mac: GZDoom crashes whenever I use OpenGL Dynamic Lights for some time.
Also, this problem puts me big limits to the mods I can play, depending if they rely on Dynamic Lights or not.

More precisely, at first the FPS stay around 50-60 FPS (my default framerate), but after a few seconds, the framerate starts to drop to 16-35 FPS. From this point on, random huge frame drops (reaching 1 FPS for some seconds) start to occur, and eventually the game crashes, leaving the log you can find here.
This happens more often when I use flashlights (example: MetaDoom's Pistol Flashlight) and happens on all mappacks.
The problem doesn't show itself in Software Mode's Dynamic Lights, in Zandronum's OpenGL renderer, or without enabling OpenGL Dynamic Lights in GZDoom.
I'm experiencing this issue since I first downloaded GZDoom (which was a few versions before 2.3.2), so this makes me think it's a problem with my computer.

Thanks in advance! :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Dynamic Light Lag and Crash

Post by Graf Zahl »

PhantomDoom741 wrote:... on my Mac...
That says it all, unfortunately. Apple's OpenGL implementation is one of the worst in existence, so bad in fact that Apple just threw in the towel and deprecated it. I'm afraid that before I find the time and do a Vulkan backend that then could use MoltenVK on Macs there is little chance that anything can be done here.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Did you try on something newer than El Capitan? Apparently, your iMac supports High Sierra.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No feedback and a crash deep in the graphics driver. I suspect something else at fault.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”