H.U.R.L. WIP

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

H.U.R.L. WIP

Post by ImpieTwo »

CURRENT TEST BUILD

I've been experimenting with this for the past week and wanted to open it to fellow modders to play with and add to. Maybe somebody can figure out how to make a reliable ammo purchase / weapon upgrade system for the vending machine, or make some interesting enemy variants, or come up with some interesting new levels (I've just been adapting the originals). Haven't implemented the trash pickups yet, although the sprites are there and ready to go.
Tormentor667

Re: H.U.R.L. WIP

Post by Tormentor667 »

I love it :)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Tormentor667 wrote:I love it :)
SENPAI NOTICED ME!

Still needs a lot of work, some of which I'm clueless as to how to implement. It's more of an off and on experiment anyway, and I thought it'd be fun to see if anyone else had contributions to add.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If I knew more about the original game I'd probably be able to be more helpful. >_< Your mod is the first that I ever even heard of it, though. xD

But - it goes without saying - Impie mod, yaaaay! :D
ronipunk

Post by ronipunk »

Oh man! I have not played that game in years. It probably would be better remade. Keep up the great work!
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Wait, what game is this mod based off of?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

AvzinElkein wrote:Wait, what game is this mod based off of?
it's right there in the title :|
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

If you need a point of reference, LGR did a review of it which is how I learned about this game:
Spoiler:
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I love LGR's video on it. I actually first encountered the game on one of those weird "50 games in one" CDs that were so prevalent in the 90s. Always kinda liked it despite the awful mechanics.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

So I assume your take will fix the issues the original had?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

AvzinElkein wrote:So I assume your take will fix the issues the original had?
Question:

If that weren't the case, what point would there be in emulating every bug and limitation the original had?

Please AvzinElkein - use your mind! There's a lot of potential hidden in that cranium of your's! Deductive reasoning can answer a lot of these questions - if you have played any of Impie's previous mods, you know that not only does he want to recreate the original a little more flawlessly, but to continue it and expand on it with his own take in the long run.

There is no one trick pony at play here, this is the real deal - as long as he stays interested in it, obviously...
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

AvzinElkein wrote:So I assume your take will fix the issues the original had?
I should hope so! Although my decorate skills sometimes have a similar effect to bugs and glitches...

This is more of an experiment though, which is why I opened it to the zdoom community to play with as well. I'm not as good with decorate as some of these folks and maybe somebody will get bored and want to try adding something. I mainly made the basic assets using the HURL rip and recreated the first two maps. I'll get around to the other maps eventually.
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

I'm not sure how to replicate the original shop system but if you only have one item kind on offer at a time it'll be easy to code in ACS, plus it'd add a little more challenge (to prevent the player stocking up on perfume spray cans lol)
Example acs (executed by activating shop linedef):

Code: Select all

Script "SOAPSHOP" (void) {
  SetActivatorToTarget(0);
  if (CheckInventory("trashpickup") >=2) {
    Print(s:"You just performed an exchange of currency and goods and are now the proud owner of another bar of soap! Lucky you");
    TakeInventory("trashpickup", 2);
    GiveInventory("Soap",1);
  }
  else {
    Playsound(0,"NOPELOL");
    Print(s:"What, you think soap grows on trees? Come back when you're a little, mmm, richer.");
  }
}
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks good so far. And since i'm way too curious about this game, i would like to play H.U.R.L, in doom definition! Of course i'm expecting the full game. Looking forward to it and good luck. I'm sure making this would easy.
Skelegant wrote:

Code: Select all

Print(s:"What, you think soap grows on trees? Come back when you're a little, mmm, richer.");
MAH BOI, i see what you did there! :P

EDIT:
Spoiler: Literally Spoiler Warning
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Captain J wrote: EDIT:
Spoiler: Literally Spoiler Warning
Everybody's there, even the pig and tornado, although I couldn't get them to work the way I wanted.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”