Chex Quest: Assault on Chextropolis - RELEASED

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Stormwalker

Chex Quest: Assault on Chextropolis - RELEASED

Post by Stormwalker »

Chex Quest: Assault on Chextropolis is a large single-player level for Chex Quest. It requires CHEX3.WAD and ZDoom(or one of its variants) in order to run. Difficulty settings have been implemented.

Chex Quest 3 is free. You can download CHEX3.WAD legally from this site: http://www.chucktropolis.com/gamers.htm

Story

6 years after the invasion of Ralston, the Intergalactic Federation of Cereals detected an object hurtling through space on a collision course with the planet. Scientists at the IFC calculated the probable time of impact based on the speed of the incoming object, and then began looking for ways to either alter the object's course or destroy it altogether. IFC High Command authorized the use of O.A.T.S.(Orbital Assault Termination System) units currently circling Planet Ralston to fire on the huge projectile, but analysis showed the shots from the O.A.T.S. were being diverted by some mysterious force. The top minds at the IFC were at a loss to explain how this was happening, but by the time they learned the unfortunate truth, it was too late to stop the object from making impact near Chextropolis.

As the object neared the planet, scientists discovered the shocking truth: This was no ordinary meteor or space debris, it was a second Flemoid Meteor-Spaceship! The orbital defense blasts were of no use because the Meteor-Spaceship was equipped with deflector shields which would require specialized weaponry to defeat. A distress beacon immediately went out to all neighboring planets warning of the danger and asking for help, but by the time these planets received the transmission, the Meteor-Spaceship was mere hours away from impact, and reinforcements from any neighboring planet would be unable to arrive in time to stop the ensuing invasion. So the IFC called upon the one man they knew would come to their aid in this time of crisis: Fred Chexter...The Chex Warrior!

Screenshots
Spoiler:
IDGAMES LINK: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... /a-c/cqaoc
Last edited by Stormwalker on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
_mental_

Re: Chex Quest: Assault on Chextropolis - PLAYTESTERS NEEDE

Post by _mental_ »

This is a pretty entertaining map. Finished it on Soggy Soldier (skill 1), found all secrets except that one with computer area map ;)
I didn't noticed any severe issues, just a few minor things.

Texture selection near edges of this painting looks a bit odd.
Screenshot_Chex_20180916_100934.jpg
Weird lighting in this passage and texture on line #11048 seems to be misaligned.
Screenshot_Chex_20180916_105201.jpg
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

_mental_ wrote:This is a pretty entertaining map. Finished it on Soggy Soldier (skill 1), found all secrets except that one with computer area map ;)
I didn't noticed any severe issues, just a few minor things.

Texture selection near edges of this painting looks a bit odd.

Weird lighting in this passage and texture on line #11048 seems to be misaligned.
This is very helpful, thanks _mental_!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I really enjoyed this. It's a very nicely put together map that uses the Chex resources very well and is entirely in keeping with the Chex style both in terms of the map and the bigger story, text screens and so on.

I didn't spot anything of note over and above what _mental_ pointed out.

The darker area did make me realise that very few of the Chex sprites are bright. Some nice brightmaps for Chex would be really cool. (Not saying this mod should provided them, I'm just talking generally. Eyes and pink zorch injury + "death" flashes would be obvious possibilities.)
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

Thank you for playing, Enjay!
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just played through this (on Soggy Soldier) and it was great. I didn't spot any issues or errors on my playthrough, though I didn't 100% it. It was really quite fun and a nice return to Chex Quest as it's been quite some time since I played it. Having it as one large map with different areas within it worked well as it gives you the progression from outdoors and caves, to the urban area, then on to the Flemoid nest.
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

This was great stuff! It's rare to find new CQ content, let alone high quality content. Thanks for making and sharing this with us.

It makes me yearn for a CQ upstart map pack a la DUMP and HUMP - it could be called CHUMP. :P
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

Korell wrote:Just played through this (on Soggy Soldier) and it was great. I didn't spot any issues or errors on my playthrough, though I didn't 100% it. It was really quite fun and a nice return to Chex Quest as it's been quite some time since I played it. Having it as one large map with different areas within it worked well as it gives you the progression from outdoors and caves, to the urban area, then on to the Flemoid nest.
Thanks for the kind words and for playing!
Hipnotic Rogue wrote:This was great stuff! It's rare to find new CQ content, let alone high quality content. Thanks for making and sharing this with us.

It makes me yearn for a CQ upstart map pack a la DUMP and HUMP - it could be called CHUMP. :P
Thank you very much! A friend of mine asked if I would do a Chex Quest level, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad other people are enjoying it.
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

A 2nd beta is now available, featuring bug fixes and additions. I updated the OP with a new download link.

What's New
-Added a scripted intro sequence to set the story up
-Changed the sector movement sound to something much more appropriate
-Re-did the lighting at the beginning of the final area
-Fixed some texture misalignments/bad texture choices
-Put a few new overhead lights in the Museum
-Added more/better lighting to the Theater
-Added a few more enemies in the final area to increase incidental encounters
-Fixed some barely noticeable bugs/anomalies
Korell

Post by Korell »

Stormwalker wrote:-Added a scripted intro sequence to set the story up
Absolutely perfect. This was the only thing I felt was missing. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Great update and I like the intro/backstory.

I think it might be better if, at the end of the intro, rather than the title appearing in the top left of the screen on a black background (which looks a little odd) and then the title picture appearing, it did it the other way around. i.e. you get the text saying "Fred Chexter... The Chex Warrior, then it cuts to the title pic (which is, after all, a picture of Fred) then the title text appears.

[edit]
Oh, I meant to say, with developer error messages on, I see the following at the console:

Code: Select all

G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Script error, "cqaoc.wad:ZMAPINFO" line 7:
Unknown property 'defaultmap' found in episode definition

Script error, "cqaoc.wad:ZMAPINFO" line 8:
Unknown property '{' found in episode definition

Script error, "cqaoc.wad:ZMAPINFO" line 9:
Unknown property 'nojump' found in episode definition

Script error, "cqaoc.wad:ZMAPINFO" line 10:
Unknown property 'nocrouch' found in episode definition

Script error, "cqaoc.wad:ZMAPINFO" line 11:
Unknown property 'nofallingdamage' found in episode definition
[/edit]
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

It's because of a missing '}' in ZMAPINFO at line 6.
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

Enjay wrote:Great update and I like the intro/backstory.

I think it might be better if, at the end of the intro, rather than the title appearing in the top left of the screen on a black background (which looks a little odd) and then the title picture appearing, it did it the other way around. i.e. you get the text saying "Fred Chexter... The Chex Warrior, then it cuts to the title pic (which is, after all, a picture of Fred) then the title text appears.
_mental_ wrote:It's because of a missing '}' in ZMAPINFO at line 6.
This is super-helpful, thanks to both of you! Enjay, I like your idea about how the intro should end so I am going to work on that now.
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

Welp overall the map looked fine to me. bit more ammo at the beginning area would be good tho. i ended up having to spoon probably around 5-10 enemies. you think you could post the text that pops up after the level is finished tho? gzdoom seems to crash upon that popping up for me. Overall the level was great! Hope to see more of this since this was a childhood favorite of mine that me and my dad would play on my old windows 98. (he would move i would press fire. XD) Also love the duke nukem styled voice lines. Like the "its time to chew gum and kick flem, and im all out of gum" line was perfectly timed. Great Map!
Overall rating: 9/10 (mostly because ammo runs out quickly in the beginning)
Replayablility: 7/10
Deserving of a whole campaign?: Yes definetly some more maps after this!
Stormwalker

Re: Chex Quest: Assault on Chextropolis - RELEASED

Post by Stormwalker »

The wad has been completed and uploaded to the /idgames archive.  Thanks to all who played and gave feedback! The first post has been updated with the /idgames download link.

Return to “Levels”