[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
REXMaster

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by REXMaster »

Cool render of map:

agaures

Post by agaures »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming.
The current working idea i have is large green plasma balls that bounce off walls fired at a slow rate. I'm thinking that the speed of the projectiles should be fast to balance the slow rate of fire but I'm not entirely sure.
I did think about grenades (probably because of the green eyes) but i don't want her? him? it? to be completely useless at long range. (How cool would it be to have an Arachnotron that fires grenades though?)
el armadillo2 wrote:Didn't i see this before?
I don't believe so. Unless someone had the idea before me.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

agaures wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming.
The current working idea i have is large green plasma balls that bounce off walls fired at a slow rate. I'm thinking that the speed of the projectiles should be fast to balance the slow rate of fire but I'm not entirely sure.
I did think about grenades (probably because of the green eyes) but i don't want her? him? it? to be completely useless at long range. (How cool would it be to have an Arachnotron that fires grenades though?)
For a grenade throwing attack, I used this formula which works nice for a mid-ranged attack. For long ranges, you should probably calculate a formula for the vertical speed so it doesn't look weird when the grenade travels a long distance in a flat arc.

Code: Select all

A_ThrowGrenade("AlienGrenadeThrown", 36, GetDistance(false, AAPTR_TARGET) / 40, 10)
This wil make the grenade land right where the player is (or rather, was at the time of attacking). Be sure to face him just before the attack.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Grenades will limit the usability of the monster though. They generally have a shorter range or if you want to extend the range by allowing them to be thrown up in an arc, then ceiling height becomes an issue.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Or you can give them a low arc & low speed with a constant bounce, like Heretic's firemace spheres. Then it becomes more of an area denial attack. (On that note, you could take it one step further and make them change direction toward the target with each bounce... :twisted: )
Zackdoessomething

Post by Zackdoessomething »

just an edit of Brutal Doom's Rifle.
Attachments
RIFLA0.png
RIFLA0.png (546 Bytes) Viewed 1369 times
el armadillo2

Post by el armadillo2 »

agaures wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming.
I'm pretty sure i saw the exact same picture before a few years ago, either in Doomworld or here. It had pretty much the same description too "what if there was another spider enemy stronger than an Arachnotron but weaker than a Mastermind". Maybe my mind is fucking with me?
REXMaster

Post by REXMaster »

Enjay wrote:Grenades will limit the usability of the monster though. They generally have a shorter range or if you want to extend the range by allowing them to be thrown up in an arc, then ceiling height becomes an issue.
It can use more than one attack. Like grenades, railgun, plasma. For all ranges.
Endie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Endie »

Zackdoessomething wrote:just an edit of Brutal Doom's Rifle.
Looks good
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

agaures wrote:So have you ever looked at the SpiderMastermind, and then the Arachnotron, and thought "there should be a third."

Well i did.

Although i don't know what he's meant to shoot.
Surely it's got to be a railgun attack? It's just the next logical step to me. Give it a charge/warning sound prior to firing and it would be a great sniper enemy. Think on the terms of the gladiator of quake2 as far as health and damage us concerned. annoying but vital to gameplay balance on the whole. I can imagine this replacing mancubi on some maps in btsx ep1 and fitting the role perfectly. Similar health to a manc would be good too. Well maybe a little more...
Zackdoessomething

Post by Zackdoessomething »

Endie wrote:
Looks good
thx! :D
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

Reminds me of an M16.
Orka

Post by Orka »

Tried to do a face of BJ for difficulty selection.
(scaled 2x:)
I wanted to make his head look shaved but I don't know... it kinda looks odd. :D
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Orka wrote:Tried to do a face of BJ for difficulty selection.
(scaled 2x:)
I wanted to make his head look shaved but I don't know... it kinda looks odd. :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Orka wrote:I wanted to make his head look shaved but I don't know... it kinda looks odd. :D
It looks more like a flat-top buzz cut. That's not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Return to “General”