SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MartinHowe

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 Beta 5 (11/Sep/2017)

Post by MartinHowe »

I am looking at giving up in despair on SLADE3. Crash, crash, crash. I can live with the occasional crash, in a beta, but there are no stable Linux builds available from the SLADE3 website and installing SLADE3 from the DRD repo also yields the beta. The instructions for building SLADE on Ubuntu are way out of date and the suggestions don't work.

I realise that SJ is doing all of this on his own time and not making money out of it, so do appreciate it will be a while before anything happens. However, this leaves me without a working map editor. I have at least got GZDB to work in a Windows VM, but it is slow even on my gaming rig and there are too many artefacts using ZDoom in the VM; I'm amazed they work at all :)

So in the meantime, does anyone have a copy of the last stable version of SLADE3 executable file from a debian based Linux distro that they could post here?

EDIT: And for the EVULZ, I got SLADE3 and ZDoom windows versions working in WINE and they are faster and less flaky than the VM! If there is a God, he's barking mad :p
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

I have noticed slade 3.1.2 is that the larger the pk3 file, the more it crashes when accessing PNG versions of Textures or Flats.

i have been running into this problem more frequently as i make a 4k Texture pack for Heretic.
sk1re

Post by sk1re »

@MartinHowe
I have a Slade 3.1.2 beta5 executable for every major Linux x64 distro. (package contains binary+dependencies)
Simply unzip and launch the script "run_slade.sh" - no installation required.
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/px944av3t ... 3.zip/file ~52MB

hf,
sk1re
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Thanks, for the offer; sadly, I already have that from DRD repo. What I would like to try is if anyone still has a copy of the last *stable* version (not a beta).
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

You can actually get all past builds that the repo hosted, here: http://debian.drdteam.org/pool/multiverse/s/slade/

I think 3.1.1.5 was maybe the last technically "stable" version but stable is relative (the current beta is fine for me), 3.1.2 has had several betas since the middle of last year and I presume one of them was working for you until relatively recently.

8-)
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Thanks, I'll have a look :)

Actually, I have not done any mapping for about 18 months and have only recently started again; in other words, for the first time since moving to Linux -- i.e. where DoomBuilder does not exist ... so am acutally a SLADE n00b :p I'm dreading yet another learning curve; I have used SLADE as a lump editor/wad tool in the past but not for mapping, so this will be a new one. I really do want to to give SLADE a chance, but it needs to be stable enough for me to do so.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Compiled a USDF script and put it into a wad. Slade thinks it's a Build graphics, and won't let me save it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Can you upload the file for testing?

In the meantime, unless you're targeting vanilla Strife compatibility, you can use the source in your mod, GZDoom can read those just fine.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

.o extension is not allowed, so i'm just attatching the text file.
Attachments
DIALOG.txt
(289 Bytes) Downloaded 50 times
Gez

Post by Gez »

.zip extension is allowed...
CWolf

Post by CWolf »

Guess I need some help.

Zoom slider went nowhere. Which is strange since I did nothing for it happened.

How to fix that?
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

i have a suggestion, able to open the Ipk3
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:i have a suggestion, able to open the Ipk3
It already can, just the Open dialogue doesn't list it as a "supported" extension. Set it to show All Files and pick the .ipk3 and it should open fine. (Or do what I do, and click/drag the file from an Explorer window into Slade's window.)
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

Hi there.

Nor in Slade 3.1.1.5 nor in 3.1.2 Beta 5, functions GiveBody and SpawnHealth aren't highlighted and returns errors "Invalid parameter 'givebody'\'spawnhealth'" despite the wiki says those both are decorate functions.

EDIT:
Gez are absolutely right, I am so stupid, sorry. :oops:
Last edited by Void Weaver on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's not SLADE that gives you this error message, it's GZDoom.

There's nothing magical about SLADE and DECORATE. DECORATE is just a text format. You could use notepad instead. Whether SLADE highlights a keyword or not changes nothing as far as whether it works in the engine or not.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”