[v2.1.0] MTPConvert

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Accensus

[v2.1.0] MTPConvert

Post by Accensus »

MTPConvert (Model-to-Particle Converter) is a tool written in C# that reads .obj data and provides various outputs.

---DOWNLOADS---
MTPConvert v2.1.0 [Last update: 23/9/2018]
NOTE: Source code is in the zip under "src" folder.

Screenshots.
Spoiler: Requirements
Spoiler: Usage
Spoiler: License
Last edited by Accensus on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Accensus

Re: [v2.0] MTPConvert

Post by Accensus »

Released v2.0. At this point the program is more than just "model-to-particles", but at the moment I am lacking imagination for a better name.

What's new:
- Complete refactor of how the tool works. Now utilizes a menu instead of being a command line tool. I highly doubt anyone would ever need to use it for batch operations anyway.
- Now supports drag-n-drop.
- Added "array" export option.
- Added in-app Help screen.
Accensus

Re: [v2.0.1] MTPConvert

Post by Accensus »

Updated to v2.0.1. Many, many thanks to kodi for helping me out with fixing a major bug!

- Fixed a bug where some regional settings made the parser expect a comma instead of dot, which in turn threw an exception and broke the tool.
- Updated Libraries.dll to most recent version. These mostly contain irrelevant menu changes from when I developed the GLDEFS generator.
Accensus

Re: [v2.0.1] MTPConvert

Post by Accensus »

So it turns out I only half-fixed the comma issue. Now the program no longer throws an exception, but the generated code may have commas, which doesn't really work on GZDoom's side. I'll fudge around with this issue some more when I get back home. The tool will work, but only for people who have their decimal sign set to a period instead of a comma in regional settings.
Accensus

Re: [v2.0.2] MTPConvert

Post by Accensus »

v2.0.2 released.

- Fixed that locale issue with decimal signs.
- Density now works for Arrays.
- Removed help menu. Refer to readme.txt for more info.
- Updated Libraries.dll. That should bring the menus up to date. Irrelevant stuff. Logging the change for posterity's sake.

Also updated the Usage spoiler with the info from readme.txt.
kodi

Re: [v2.0.2] MTPConvert

Post by kodi »

The model -> vertex array feature in this is incredibly useful and I encourage people to use it. You can spawn rings, spheres, stars etc. of actors without having to do any complex or performance intensive math. You could also export a vertex group of a decorative 3d model, run it through MTPC, and use it to for example emit smoke or fire from certain parts of the mesh.
Accensus

Re: [v2.1.0] MTPConvert

Post by Accensus »

Updated to v2.1.0. Only real change was replacing .ply parsing with .obj. Also some internal refactoring.

Attempted to improve performance with particle and actor spawning, but hit a dead end. At this point the most useful feature of the tool is the Array export as kodi mentioned.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”