[WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] 2K UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom in the works.

Post by hoover1979 »

DoomN00b wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:
DoomN00b wrote:Hey there! = ) Awesome project. I was just about to start doing some high-rez textures myself, specifically, a SKYbox! My textures will be smaller than yours though, since my rig is much less powerful. (they'll be 1080p, 1k-textures)

I am remaking the skyboxes from Rise of the Triad at the moment - and just realized something... they are 256 x 200 pixels large, but the base-pixels you're making are 512 x 512 - is it important to make skyboxes for Doom to actually be SQUARE? Are vanilla Doom's skyboxes 256 x 256 pixels, for instance? Or can I just up-rez these and start remaking the RoTT-boxes into asymmetrically shaped rectangles?
Hi. Thanks for your praise. :D

To answer some questions, Vanilla Doom doesn't use Skyboxes, it uses rectangular textures that tile left-to-right. The originals in Vanilla doom are 256x128, and my UltraHD ones are 4096x2048, I think the DHTP uses either 1024x512 or updated them to 2048x1024. Skyboxes are something I would love to do but don't know how to do them. Skyboxes encompass all directions including above and below the player and look much more realistic, however, they need to tile in so many directions and a .def file usually has to be written to get them the supporting engine to arrange the sections of the skybox in the right areas. Just thinking about that makes my brain hurt. Risen3D has skybox support and I think GZDoom does too, but I have no idea on how to make them, so I am just making sky textures like the original game has. ROTT I think uses Skyboxes, and I guess you are making a texture pack for WinROTTGL, is that correct? WinROTTGL isn't very well optimized, so large and uncompressed textures may tank your FPS. It's probably best to make a secondary pack after making your uncompressed textures as a JPEG pack and compare them to see if both or only one are playable.

I wish I could make animated Skyboxes of Doom, but that is aiming to fart for the stars to be a realistic expectation. I also wish I could animate the textures that have lights, but they only have one frame so the engine would need to be recorded, so that's sadly not going to be a part of my pack either. :cry:

I am only new to texture making myself and have been self-teaching since I started nearly 2 years ago. However, I would be happy to answer any other questions you encounter along the way to the best of my ability.

Best of luck with your project.

Nick "Hoover1979" Wride.
Ey, big cheers for the info! I'd love to pick your brain regarding texture-making for sure! =)

I just double-checked, and it appears as if RoTT also uses a system of rectangular textures that tile left-to-right! It has an engine similar to Wolfenstein, but there's some similarities to Doom as well, sky-textures appear to be one of them. (it's logical that they would invent this, since it's still a HUGE difference from Wolf3D) - I'm remaking the sky-textures for GZDoom though - RoTT's engine has, like you mention, no reliable, well-developed source ports.

Going to use the "Return of the Triad"-TC, and some Quake-3-like assets, as a base, and then remake "Wolfenstein 3D pt.2: Rise of the Triad"! So, I'm remaking the old design-sheet assets for the original Wolf2 in high rez - but one thing that wasn't included was skyboxes, so I'm ripping graphics from the original RoTT as well, and using them to fill out the missing parts. ; )

But ok, so the ultra-HD ones need to be 4096x2048, eh? Well, I'm currently working in 5120x4000 - Hmm... I'm thinking I might rezise it slightly then, at this size, and then down-size it to that format.. It would be cool to know if it really HAS to be those specific formats though, or if the slightly different format RoTT uses, can be used as well.

Do the GZDoom-developers have a Discord one can use? I'd love to pick their brains for stuff like this! = )
You should send Graf Zahl a Private Message on https://www.doomworld.com He is the lead programmer and can help you with everything GZDoom related. I sometimes see him here too, so he may even reply to you. in the next day or so I will be offline for some time. I am ditching my failing Seagate Archive 8Tb and cloning it on the new 10Tb WD Gold Enterprise edition DataCenter grade HDD, and that will take quite some time.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I spent nearly 6 hours working on another Tech Wall.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/9222/f/20 ... byj4gm.png (CTRL + Click to open in new tab, click again on opened image to zoom in if your monitor is less than 4K)
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I decided to revamp the title picture for The Ultimate Doom.

I found a nice looking 800x600 image used in HD packs for source ports, but it wasn't for The Ultimate Doom but instead for the original Doom.
https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21 ... 1515235361

So I decided to extend upon it to make a title for The Ultimate Doom, in 4k. I resized the image to 4k with a special algorithm, adjusted the color levels, saturation and brightness/contrast, made the "The Ultimate" text from scratch and made a copy of it and darkened it and colorized it red, then duplicated it and made one layer 40% opacity and the other 80% opacity and reverse painted the red in via the soft eraser brush, then I added light flares from the muzzle flash and the Demon's fireball. Now it's a Title Pic for The Ultimate Doom, and the color scheme is closer in spec to the original 320x200 title pic from 1995. More of a Crimson Hell aesthetic.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/082d/f/20 ... bz7398.png (CTRL + Click to open in new tab, click the on image to zoom in if your screen is less than 4K).

All credit to the people that created the image, and the people that formatted it to go into the HD packs for Doom. I just extended upon it, and only take credit for the modification I made.
Last edited by hoover1979 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

All that resolution, and I still can't figure out what kind of weapon the marine in the background is supposed to be holding.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

SiFi270 wrote:All that resolution, and I still can't figure out what kind of weapon the marine in the background is supposed to be holding.
Good point.

I guess it's the backup running in with a BFG, judging by its wide front end. But then the machine gun the marine is using on the demon's in the foreground isn't used in the game so it is a mystery wrapped up in an enigma.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I made a new panoramic ending for Episode 3: Inferno featuring (the head of) Daisy the Bunny.
https://orig00.deviantart.net/a1d9/f/20 ... bzl92y.png (7680x2160)
DISCLAIMER: No Bunnies were harmed in the production of this image.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Unfortunately I suffered a severe setback with my work as Photoshop CC 2018 uninstalled itself when my system crashed while it was loaded on DIMMDrive to run and render quicker. I am in a private hospital due to complex health issues, way beyond just chronic pain issues that I can't go into as I don't want a rumor mill to circle the internet.

I wish there was a fellow patient that had a mobile plan that allowed on demand data top ups, as I would pay for their top up to hotspot me to reaquire my copy of PS CC 2018, but the hospital's wifi is slow as hell and has a 200Mb per day download cap and no upload allowance.

I have no planned discharge date as I am quite unwell but with treatment it is not life threatening.

If a new patient gets admitted with a mobile plan that allows on demand top ups I will pay for them to get a few gigs more data to hotspot me as I miss my texture work like the deserts miss the rain.

The hospital was gracious to allow me to bring my whole rig into my room to make me feel more at home, as I have no planned discharge date and could be here for months. I even upgraded my 4x Blu-ray Reader I had for years to a 16x blu-ray reader/burner today so I have something positive to focus on today. However I really want my Photoshop CC 2018 back on my rig to continue my work as it is one of the things I wanted to do in the hospital to take my mind off of my mounting and complex health issues that have taken a huge physical and psychological toll on me.

At least I have my Games and movies to keep occupied but life isn't the same without working on my textures.

If I can get photoshop CC 2018 back on my rig I will update the forum, but I couldn't upload any images while here as there is a 0b upload allowance as well as a 200Mb daily allowance download on a wifi that is slow even by Australian standards (56Kbps DL + 0bps UL).

Damn I miss my unlimited data 100Mbps DL + 40Mbps UL FTTP NBN I have back at home. :cry:

You gotta admit with all the health issuse I have endured and I haven't given up on my texture pack, proving that I have serious dedication. I hope that same dedication can help my body heal too.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Hey! I'm gonna contribute my 4K (is it 4K?) SKY3 texture for Doom2.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kwrnk ... QeZcSGcGUP
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I have released the second demo. Some new textures have been added, some existing textures have been redone.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hoover1979-ul ... /downloads

Only the 2k version is available at the moment. I will compile 1k and 512p versions in the coming days.

Feedback is welcome.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

My rig got hit by the Sigrun ransomware a week ago and I lost a bunch of files, including some of the resources I created that could go in multiple textures. Both that and my diagnosis of Fatty Liver disease has really slowed me down. The ransomware is now gone but I had to delete every file it encrypted from my HDD's.

Although my progress has come to a temporary halt when my health improves, I will get back to work.

Thank the DoomSlayer I got the second demo online as I don't even know if my .PK3's were encrypted by Sigrun!
I have to paw through 19.5Tb of HDD's to see what I lost, as I used Ultrasearch and deleted every encrypted file in one go.

Never pay the ransomware scumbags, you won't get your files and they will want more and more bitcoin and infest your email with virus-laden spam.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

19 TB? What do you have, multiple 2/3/4 TB drives there? Sucks to hear that had to happen. Do you have external hard drives to back up the most critical files to for such things like this? I have a 1 TB external drive where I put all my Doom stuff, music, images and such onto for safekeeping, tho I really should invest in a 2 TB drive down the line.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Glaice wrote:19 TB? What do you have, multiple 2/3/4 TB drives there? Sucks to hear that had to happen. Do you have external hard drives to back up the most critical files to for such things like this? I have a 1 TB external drive where I put all my Doom stuff, music, images and such onto for safekeeping, tho I really should invest in a 2 TB drive down the line.
I have one 3Tb External HDD (WD Elements) and the rest are internal including my boot drive (120Gb Kingston HyperX Fury SSD) and a WD Gold Enterprise 10Tb, a WD Caviar 4Tb and an old but still functional WD 2Tb.

The Sigrun ransomware attacked every one of those drives, but thanks to me pulling the plug (Literally) and turning off my modem/router and running a full scan with Malwarebytes free and Avira Pro (In basic safe mode), I didn't lose every file, but I lost large chunks of files from each and every drive.

I just wish I had the cash to build an internetless backup PC and/or the funds for a cloud storage that would allow nearly 20Tb of upload backup.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

I have recently made some new textures and laid down the work for a 3rd demo. It will take some time as the next few days I must rest after tripping over and falling so hard I ended up in the ER. Once I am able to I will be back at it making textures to get the 3rd demo out hopefully before the end of the year.

I wish to thank everyone in the Doom community for their unwavering support over the course of this texture pack. Thank you all!
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

Wow, take care man. Take your time and release it when you're ready. Also thanks for good work :)
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

Thank you Reinchard2. You are a master of what you do and I appreciate your support. Keep up with those PBR textures, they look AMAZING! :)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”