Doom Slayer Chronicles

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
bifurcator

Re: Doom Slayer Chronicles

Post by bifurcator »

Thanks, people!
I`am polish DSC right now
Update coming soon!
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just played it and it is a nicely different experience to other Doom mods I've played. Just want to raise that I've experienced one bug so far. In the second arena, Bloodrain Plaza, after a few waves when you go from the outside area with the green flame towers to the outside area with the red flame towers and then cannot go back, one of the waves in that section spawned four monsters over on the "green" side so I couldn't get to them to kill them and had to use your emergency wave end button. It only happened that one time and the other waves proceeded fine until I cleared the map.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

@bifurcator: Consider updating the first post letting people know the map set is released
jckfrbn

Post by jckfrbn »

I thinks its neat, but wouldn't mind a downgraded one cause my computers a lemon. (68% resolution keeps a steady framerate at least)
Also if you did could call it Doom Guy Chronicles
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Personally I think the mod can do without the whole oxygen thing. Just something I never liked about Doom 3 in particular as well.

Perhaps another thing to consider implementing, harder mob waves. I don't mean just increasing the numbers. I mean increasing the difficult monster types. Cyberdemons, archviles, spider masterminds... I'm the kind of player who eats Dark Tartarus for breakfast. I love that map set which has so many cyberdemons and spider masterminds.

Map "Die Hard": Please insert some hints as to what the passwords are for the switches. It's greatly annoying that I have to try and guess what the password is over and over again for each key card.

Time lord is incredibly overpowered. I believe that should be the Hell's End reward tier instead of healing. Healing should come a lot sooner.
Mikro

Post by Mikro »

anyone else get massive framedrops when you trigger the skull?
bifurcator

Post by bifurcator »

Doom Slayer Chronicles Update 1.1 is coming

Thank you so much for all your good and most importantly - bad reviews.
Your reaction helps to see the DSC in the right light and make it better.
I try to be attentive to each opinion and especially to specific bug reports.
Soon will be released update 1.1 with the correction of the most important shortcomings of the project.
Stay in touch.
bifurcator

Post by bifurcator »

Mikro wrote:anyone else get massive framedrops when you trigger the skull?
as far as i can understand from the reviews - this is most likely the problem of the engine on win10
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Aaaaaand it seems there are more issues at hand than I thought before:
-There is a bug with D4T, that whenever you deactivate a Demon Rune, the game crashes, but not GZDoom itself. That didn't happen on vanilla Doom, nor in other mappacks.
-The demon counter doesn't increase when a Pain Elemental spawns Lost Souls. On that situation, you can finish a wave while there are still a few monsters in the area.
-Not much of a technical issue, but I think there are too many ammo pickups in each map. Maybe remove a few of them?
-Each map has 1 "secret" which is inaccessible, making it impossible to complete even a single map 100%.
-Rank only goes up on the next map, and not immediately.
-This is just my personal opinion, but some of the maps have a mixture of lights which really hurt my eyes. Yeah I get it, it's Hell, but I changed to different settings a few times and it's still the same case.

I do have to mention that the lore is pretty interesting. I'm not much of a "lore nerd" when it comes to that....ummm... culture, but it makes me wonder how all of that is connected to the new Doom games.
SpudAD666

Post by SpudAD666 »

Been waiting for this since it was announced and now that it's here I have to say I'm rather disappointed in what it actually is.

PROS:
=====
- Visually it looks incredible and the effort to make it look the way it does is little short of a programming masterpiece.

CONS:
=====
- Everything else basically... couldn't load it from the GZDoom.exe in the DSC-1.0 folder. I had to individually load the .pk3 files into ZDLoader to get it to run. Shouldn't have to do this if it's all compiled the way it is.
- Wave gameplay bores me stupid. Within 5 minutes I was done. Lost interest.
- Because of the way it's compiled, you cannot remove the .pk3 file containing the games "rules", meaning you can't just run the graphical mods with regular Doom wad levels (kind of the whole reason I've been waiting for this). This sucks.

Like I said, it looks amazing. But for me that's where my interest ends. If you can separate the actual game part from the graphics mods and release them separately, you sir are onto a winner but in it's current form, there's no reason for me to load it again. Sorry. :(
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Some more suggestions:
  1. Add an option that lets the player choose between using TIDs or not. When I changed some things around on my mod, specifically D4D, I began noticing that DSC was NOT using TIDs, but using something else instead. This is instantly fixed if you have an advanced section that you can caption as "Don't change these unless you know what you're doing!" with the option set to default, which defaults to the current behavior. Label it "Monster count with TIDs" having the options of "On/Default/Off".
    -----
  2. On the last level: "RUN TO THE LIGHT!" Okay, I did that. Now what? Is the only way out to go to Hell at the end? Because I reached the other end and nothing happened except the risk of dying from the Saints explosions. Perhaps a fading effect and an ending of some kind. But if your goal is to make it so the player cannot escape from being sucked in, spawn more demons, much more quickly and force them to run into the portal. That being said, I think an Icon of Sin boss fight would be appreciated. He's plastered all over the place, why not have it in there?
    -----
  3. Optionally more cyberdemon/spider mastermind battles please! I was heavily underwhelmed by how many there were. (For the Slaughtermap junkies like myself, this will be a lovely option. Something to add "bigger/tougher" monsters to the mix with a higher spawn ratio like Baron of Hell, Archviles, etc.)
    -----
  4. You can put your DSCMonsterPopulation contents as part of the event handler itself, no need to make a separate class just for that. You only made that to track one variable, "monsterCount". You'll be doing yourself a bigger favor by putting that directly into the event handler itself.

For all other classes, you just need to call this code:

Code: Select all

let Event = DSCMonstersEvent(StaticEventHandler.Find("DSCMonstersEvent"));
    if (Event)
    {
    	monsterCount++; //Or whatever, assuming you moved the variable to the event handler instead.
    }
    In fact, I suggest you do just that because this will free up some searching that is a bit of a drag on performance.
FrankADG

Post by FrankADG »

Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Hello Bifurcator,

I have now started playing DSC 1.0.1 and have a first bug-fixing suggestion.

After finishing the 5th wave on dscmap02, a panel appears that says, "Press 'I' to continue". But when I press 'I', nothing happens.

The reason for this is that your panel code assumes that I'm using your INI instead of mine. It therefore assumes your predefined key bindings without giving the possibility to change them from the menu. A better way would be to directly check for the key the function is bound to.
Anyway, here's the actual bug. After moving the

[Doom.flashlight.Bindings]
f=ToggleFlashlight
i=dscRankMenu
range of options from your INI to my own, and reloading the map, the panel would still not disappear. I could only make it disappear after moving the two key bindings to [Doom.Bindings] in the INI instead, discarding the [Doom.flashlight.Bindings] line.

I hope you can fix this for ver. 1.1.

Thank you, and keep up the good work. The maps look absolutely amazing. :surprise:
Korell

Post by Korell »

Get Phobo wrote: Anyway, here's the actual bug. After moving the

[Doom.flashlight.Bindings]
f=ToggleFlashlight
i=dscRankMenu
range of options from your INI to my own, and reloading the map, the panel would still not disappear. I could only make it disappear after moving the two key bindings to [Doom.Bindings] in the INI instead, discarding the [Doom.flashlight.Bindings] line.
i=dscRankMenu is a binding that belongs to the Doom Slayer Chronicles mod and as per the ini provided with the mod it does indeed belong within Doom.Bindings.
f=ToggleFlashlight is one of the bindings in the provided ini for when using Doom Slayer Chronicles with the flashlight mod (I can't remember which gameplay mod that is part of) and it has it's own bindings section, hence the Doom.flashlight.Bindings section.

But yes, the dscRankMenu, being part of Doom Slayer Chronicles itself, should really have an entry within the controls options menu. Should be easy to add in as it just needs adding to the menudef file.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/MENUDEF
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Icarus just reviewed the mappack:

Return to “Levels”